VOIP - Broadband Digital Phone Service [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VOIP - Broadband Digital Phone Service

Ljunatic
01-03-2005, 19:51
Anyone here have it? My wife would like to get it for the long distance. I can get a discount via my cable/internet supplier and was wondering if there is any thing i should know before we sign up, TIA

SamBuca
01-03-2005, 19:58
Vonage.com offers a lot of hardware goodies with their package...and a phone number from almost anywhere.

paulk003
01-03-2005, 20:11
I have the vonage service and it is alright. My only complaint is that the clarity is not as good as reg phone service. other than that it is wxcellent. $27.00 a month for unlimited calls and long distance. One word of advice i would look into dealing directly with the provider instead of cable. I found out my cable company is still charging $39.00 when i can get it from vonage for $27.00.

Romadoc
01-03-2005, 21:29
As to Vonage,actual charge is now $24.99/month plus some taxes. I use it but the only problem I've encountered is when my cable company, Comcast, goes out. This has resulted in no service for a couple of days in Dec. My daughter had the same problem but her outage was for a week (again Comcast). Other than that, the price is great considering you get all long distance calls in U.S. and Canada for the basic charge. Their overseas charge to Europe and the Mid-East are also low. These are, of course, in addition to the basic charge.

01-03-2005, 21:32
Check if Verizon can can provide you FTTP (fiber to the premises) at your location. You can get voice/data/video all on the same line.

Up to 4 fully feature-able phone lines
Up to 30Mbs(down)/2Mbs(up) [guaranteed] internet service
Video service including video on demand, hi-def and pay per view

Jack T.
01-03-2005, 21:53
I've got CallVantage from AT&T. 29.95 per month.

Pro: Call anywhere in America for nothing. Lots of cool features (call forwarding, voice mail, etc) all of which are web based (listen to voice mail online).

Cons: Technology is pretty new (for residential folks). I've got a couple hour long outages in the 3 months I've had it. It just isn't as reliable as regular telephone, but VoIP plus cell phone works *very* well for us.

SamBuca
01-03-2005, 21:54
Originally posted by 0100010
Check if Verizon can can provide you FTTP (fiber to the premises) at your location. You can get voice/data/video all on the same line.

I'm so angry...my area is Sprint only. Stupid monopolies.

Texas T
01-05-2005, 07:35
Originally posted by Jack T.
I've got CallVantage from AT&T. 29.95 per month. Do these net access accounts charge you all the various fees and taxes on top of the primary rate just like a regular landline account?

Last month my landline fees/taxes were higher than my actual LD usage charges. ;Q

fastvfr
01-05-2005, 07:40
Off topic, but closely related...

I use ADSL and pre-paid phone cards.

That way I can have Max Speed broadband and no LD fees at all.

I spend less than $15 a month on the calling card, so that, for me, is a better deal.

YMMV!!

Washington,D.C.
01-05-2005, 16:08
The electrical power here goes out from time to time and internet phones don't work when the power is out.Sometimes that's when you need a phone the most.The police dept here did hand out old cell phones that can only dial 911.they're good to have next to the bed or in the car.I got a package deal from the phone company for ADSL and unlimited domestic long distance.With taxes it cost close to $100/month for broadband and phone.The other way I might have done it was 2 phone lines but then the internet would be dial up not broadband.The neighbors accross the street paid extra for touchtone and now all phones in the city have touchtone service included but the neighbors still get billed extra for the service because they ordered it.

Melete
01-05-2005, 16:56
Originally posted by Texas T
Do these net access accounts charge you all the various fees and taxes on top of the primary rate just like a regular landline account?

Last month my landline fees/taxes were higher than my actual LD usage charges. ;Q

I have CallVantage and I'd have to look at my statement, but I think there are NO taxes/fees. If I recall, a national-level court decision held that state/local fees for VOIP are not constitutional. Or maybe Congress outlawed them. Anyway, our bill is around $30-35 a month, which includes international calls (the only thing that costs extra)

I keep a cell phone both because my work pays for it and I do want to have 911 access even if my net connection goes down (I've heard that 911 calls will still work on a home phone line that has been disconnected, but I've never tested it and don't keep a phone plugged into the old line anyway)