Anyone do technical docs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do technical docs?

Sinister Angel
01-04-2005, 00:39
If so, do you get paid and how much? I did some stuff for fluxbox a while back, but I was wondering if anyone actually does this and makes money off it.

01-09-2005, 23:21
If you're asking how much technical writers make, which is what I do, it widely depends upon (if this isn't what you're asking, then just ignore the rest):

1. The part of the country you're working in, the size of the company, what kind of technical writing (does it require skills in programming, in-depth knowledge of a particular field, for example).

2. How much technical writing is valued within that company. Studies by IBM, for example, have shown that documentation can save companies millions in technical support costs.

Rant on\> For some reason, some people think that technical writers are glorified secretaries. Where I work, and I'm not making this up, our department was once told that we were to be given Apple Computers, because "they wouldn't be able to handle Windows PCs." (I have nothing against Macs, but that mindset still exists out there -- by the way, we use PCs and do just fine, thank you very much!)
Rant off/>

Depending on those and other factors, a range of 22 - 50K is reasonable for someone relatively new in the field, more with additional experience.

If you want more information, let me know.

Sinister Angel
01-09-2005, 23:27
That's actually the kind of info I was looking for!

I was just kind of wondering since I did some probono stuff for the fluxbox project in the past. I kinda like doing technical writing.