Any Duck Hunterns Out There? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Duck Hunterns Out There?

Sundog
01-04-2005, 17:42
If so, I hope you're seeing more ducks than I am. I hunt in NW Mississippi, and the pickin's been slim. This warm winter that the southeast has been experiencing since Christmas has evidently moved the ducks back north. I may go again once or twice befoe the end of the season (it's a seven hour drive for me), but not unless conditions improve.

Any good photos of recent hunts would be great!

mpol777
01-04-2005, 23:58
My dad had about 10,000 flying through a DAY a while back. Of course he lives on Lake Erie right on the migration route. If you ever get the chance it's something to see. A continuous stream of ducks about 300-900 yards off shore and rafts of hundreds on the water.

No such luck for me out here in the desert. A few in the canals in town, but the local PD probably wouldn't look to kindly on me shooting them. ;f

noway
01-05-2005, 07:46
ducks down here has been sparse. The teal that normally migrate to these warmer areas, have been as you put it "slim pickings". I think alot of this has todo with how cold the northern areas are. Just keep on waiting and soon you should get a big flock of ducks coming down.

d0truji
01-05-2005, 09:01
Been out every weekend since the season started here. It's been a little slower than normal but we are still seeing about 1000 ducks a day and killing close to the limit.

Strange thing is that we only killed mallards until last weekend when my friend shot a shoveler and a green wing teal.

I'm loving it!

USPcompact
01-06-2005, 23:23
Not much here in NC since Christmas. ;g

Michigun
01-24-2005, 12:48
Sorry guys, I guess we took too many up here back in September! ;f

USPcompact
01-26-2005, 14:58
Welllllllllll, looks like I told a fib about there not being any ducks in NC. We absolutely wore them out Monday and Tuesday at Lake Mattamuskeet in the eastern part of the state.

Monday's bag - a wiley trumpeter swan (yes, you can shoot those here in NC), pintail, wigeon, limit of black duck, mallard, spoon bill, and I think someone accidently shot a coot or three. Have no idea who that was (me).

Tuesday's bag - same as Monday, but with a limit of pintail and a single snow goose to go with it. Saw a neck banded swan that landed in our decoys, but someone forgot to put any shot in my shells and he flew off.

shrpshtr
01-29-2005, 23:42
i had a pretty good hunt in maryland the 1st week of january but that is about it.

here are a couple of pics...

http://www.e-fowlers.com/images/ducks_1.jpg

http://www.e-fowlers.com/images/02_1.jpg

quinnt
01-30-2005, 12:10
seasons over form me.....i live in massachusetts

didnt get anythign

got a goose tho so that was cool

FullClip
01-31-2005, 13:22
HUNTING DUCKS!!!!! AAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!;f

Not any more, too wet and cold for me, and have never been too good at sitting still. Will still go once in a while on a nice day "jump shooting" in the canoe when my buddy and I take turns paddling up the streams.

Prefer upland (partridge) as normally just a nice walk in the woods and sometimes I get lucky and weed out a few stupid birds from the gne pool.

CodeBlue23
01-31-2005, 19:44
Monday's bag - a wiley trumpeter swan (yes, you can shoot those here in NC),

I've never heard of a "wiley" trumpeter swan, but i do know that trumpeter swans are nongame species. The swans hunted in NC are whistling swans. Also, there are no trumpeter swans in NC.

I hunted some impoundments at Mattamuskeet this past weekend and we did fairly well, 10 mallards, 3 gadwall, 3 wood ducks and a shoveler. Tried for a swan but we were unsucessful.

USPcompact
02-01-2005, 15:48
Oops, meant "tundra" instead of "trumpeter." And "wiley" as in "dumb as rocks."

CodeBlue23
02-01-2005, 20:15
10-4 on the wiley, didn't catch that lingo....i've never really even hunted swans (well have tried once but didn't have a chance to shoot) but i have heard that they are not smart animals

USPcompact
02-01-2005, 21:14
Originally posted by CodeBlue23
but i have heard that they are not smart animals

We were busy catching up on our limit last Tuesday afternoon when, in the midst of downing a pair of pintails, a group of 4 swans landed right smack in the middle of our decoys. One had a neck band. "Stupid" does not begin to describe these birds. :)

True Punisher
02-10-2005, 06:40
I live in Minnesota and for the last few years the duck hunting has gotten bad. It is so bad that we can't even get our limit. Most guys I talked to around here it is the same story, and most of us think it is our weather being to warm over the season.

d0truji
02-10-2005, 14:08
Season is over :(

The Snow season is still open but I can't find them. There is always next year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/d0truji/002_2.jpg

The new pup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/d0truji/003_3.jpg

chevy01234
02-11-2005, 22:16
Here is the last hunt I went on this year. I have many more pictures from previous hunts saved on another computer. I will try and post them up soon. I was hunting in the MS delta on some family land. Season was so so at best.

chevy01234
02-11-2005, 22:20
Those were the only two blue bills I killed all year. Two days before that I killed two red heads on the same hole. Usually more big ducks but not this year.

pred8r
02-26-2005, 17:15
I can't complain down here in texas. i live 30 mins.from the katy prairie. fat mallards lots of teal and a few pintails. Now that duck season is over, I am enjoying the specail geese conservation season.....