Gig amp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gig amp

.22 boy
01-04-2005, 18:11
If I was to be in a band how many watt amp would I need?

>.22 BOY

nickg
01-05-2005, 14:41
WHATEVER wattage you use, just make sure it goes to 11!!!

matt3310
01-05-2005, 15:17
It depends on if you want to mic it or not. If you mic it, you can go with a less powerful amp. If your not, Id go with something with at least 40 TUBE watts! Tubes put out a little more volume than solid state amps. And they sound better! Good luck and let us know what you get!

WolfmanGK
01-05-2005, 15:53
"If I want to shoot stuff what kind of gun should I buy?"

Would be easier to answer.

What kind of music?
What method of recording?
How many watts is the PA?
How many watts is the bass amp?
Is the drumset micd?
How many watts is the drumset pushing if micd?
Are you going to run straight to the amp, or use a processor?
What kind of guitar do you own?
Where will you be playing?
How many people will you be playing for?
What are the acoustics of your primary place of practice?
Are there any acoustics in yoru primary place of practice?
Do you want clinical reproduction (Solid state and cheap),
Or do you want to skip that and go right onto the better amp (Tube amp, $$$ Please note, if you get into playing guitar eventually you will have more tube amps than solid state amps. This is just the way it is. I have a Crate Blue Voodoo tube amp I use for practice every day.)
Do you want a loud amp or an easy to move amp?
How much can you carry?
Do you want built in FX? (Won't sound as good a s good dedicated FX processor)
Do you need reverb?
Etc
Etc
Etc

Soujurn
01-10-2005, 01:39
Ok, tall order but here goes.

If you are going to playing in taverns, etc, where you need to compete with a loud house PA and loud bass player, you definitaley will need a tube amp. As was said, tubes put out more volume than solid state. And most likely a 2x12 combo instead of a head and stack.

If you are going to mike your amp through a PA system, you can get away with less stage volume and just set up your amp the way you like the sound.

Some of the older tube amps you had to turn all the way up to get the good sounds. Now days, you can use pedals and effect like POD XT to mimic all those old great tones.
Line 6 amps are pretty good and I've seen them on more than a few stages.
Hughes and Kettner, Soladano, Rivera, are also awesome amps.

All this comes down to how many watts do you need.
40 to 50 is about the minimum for keeping up with a bass and drums. 100 and you are going to blow everyone away and you'll keep getting told to "turn it down, man!"

Check out the local bands. What are THEY using in the places you plan to play?
Nothing wrong with offering to help the guitarist load his gear and pick his brain at the same time.
Offering to buy him a beer won't hurt either. ;)

Berto
01-10-2005, 05:39
100 and you are going to blow everyone away and you'll keep getting told to "turn it down, man!"

Amen.;f

micah
01-10-2005, 17:18
Watts are not a measurement of sound, decibels are. Tube anps are not louder than equal solid state amps, they sound louder, because they are more full. A high quality 40 watt amp will in many cases play louder and cleaner than an el cheapo 125 watt amp. You don't want watts, you want quality. I suggest the Peavy Classic 50 for a nice affordable used am head. Then fine the most efficient speakers that sounds nice and make yourself a cab.

Soujurn
01-10-2005, 19:51
If you really want to blow people away, get a couple of Z-Vex Nano Head amps, hook 'em up in a stereo pair through a half stack. It will amaze everyone.
http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/michael_thompson/

WIG19
01-27-2005, 13:56
Originally posted by micah
Watts are not a measurement of sound, decibels are. Tube anps are not louder than equal solid state amps, they sound louder, because they are more full. A high quality 40 watt amp will in many cases play louder and cleaner than an el cheapo 125 watt amp. You don't want watts, you want quality.
^c Can't fault any of that. Get a GOOD 30-40 watt tube amp, get a good stage sound that everyone (on stage) can live with and then mic it if necessary. Frankly, if you can find an old Boogie or Fender Princeton Reverb you'll be good. The aforementioned Peavey Classic 50 also can be had and is one of the few things Peavey that I thought was decently done. ;j

Biker13
01-27-2005, 22:29
Originally posted by WIG19
^c Can't fault any of that. Get a GOOD 30-40 watt tube amp, get a good stage sound that everyone (on stage) can live with and then mic it if necessary. Frankly, if you can find an old Boogie or Fender Princeton Reverb you'll be good. The aforementioned Peavey Classic 50 also can be had and is one of the few things Peavey that I thought was decently done. ;j
It took me years to realise this. Today, when I do play live, I use an old Fender Bassman head and a 4/10 cab or a Mesa Mk 2 and get the lowest stage volume possible. As long as I get my tube disto and sustain....:cool:
Biker13;c

KeysBear
01-29-2005, 20:21
I play in a working classic rock/Doors Tribute band. For guitar somewhere between 60 and 200 watts should be fine. I play keys mostly and usually use a 15 watt amp as a monitor with my main sound going through the P.A. When I need more stage power I take a 200 watt amp to drive two 15" EV's.
I also play guitar. It's really the speakers that make the difference with a guitar amp. A 60 watt amp going through a 4X12 cabinet can blow the place away as good as a 200 watt amp with 2 twelve inch speakers. You also need to choose between tube and solid state. Yeah, tubes sound better, but for gigs we carry solid state because of the wear and tear. Just buy the biggest Peavey you can afford and you'll probably use it for a lifetime of gigs. One of our guys has gone through two of the newer Fenders in the past year. Our other guitarist has a Randall that I think is 200 watts.
If your band is running sound right with a good P.A. if you mic a good 40 watt amp that is all you need.

Regards, Keys :cool:

Tommy21
01-30-2005, 07:43
This much.
;f

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Tommya/Rig.jpg

KeysBear
01-30-2005, 15:25
Tommy21,
Impressive practice rig, but what do you use on stage? We used to say in one of my bands that to impress people a musician could either practice more or buy bigger equipment. We were known for having the biggest equipment in S. Florida. That sounds kinda, oh nevermind....

Regards, Keys :cool:

Tommy21
01-31-2005, 17:17
Originally posted by KeysBear
Tommy21,
Impressive practice rig, but what do you use on stage?

Well, since you asked:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Tommya/gear.jpg

And playing paid for all of it except for the JBL Venue P.A. cabs (recent aquisition). I've been fortunate that way.

:cool:

Tommy

CDP1911
01-31-2005, 21:33
depending on the genre of music and type of guitar.I would say as a Jazz or blues player. 50 watt RMS rated will do it for ya. A heavy rocker 100 RMS rated.

Bass guitar, well that is a different subject. My practice amp is 40 watts. My gig rig is 1000 watts.