Dual Monitors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors

allanc
01-05-2005, 07:28
I want to know the basics of running two monitors. What do I need? How do I set it up?

I am running Windows XP Home.

Thanks

fastvfr
01-05-2005, 08:30
Originally posted by allanc
I want to know the basics of running two monitors. What do I need? How do I set it up?

A compatible vid card and two monitors, as well as a VGA adapter for the DVI jack if both monitors have VGA plugs.

In my experience GeForce cards are easier to set up, since normally they detect and run it by themselves...at worst, you just open the nVidia CP and force detection of the TV or second monitor in there.

Easy and painless....usually. YMMV!!

David_G17
01-05-2005, 10:07
there are 2 ways: use 2 video cards or use a single video card designed for dual monitors.

i found the 2 video card solution cheaper ;)

at least one of the cards needs to be PCI b/c chances are you only have on AGP slot.

I put a cheap PCI card in one PCI slot and a decent AGP card in my AGP slot.

i ran mine in linux; never tried windows.

Washington,D.C.
01-05-2005, 10:56
There are single cards that work with 2 monitors or you can use 2 video cards.With 2 cards it's best to use 2 of the same.At least 2 that work with the same driver.You can mix agp and pci.In that case try to get same type card in PCI that's in AGP.The dual monitor single card is the way to go.You can get them with 2 VGA or 2 DVI or with one or each.The vga/dvi adapters work fine.I left the AGP slot in my Linux box open(un used) because I had 2 of the same PCI cards.

SanduneCC
01-06-2005, 00:53
I use a Matrox 550 to run dual NEC/Mitsubishi 22" CRTs. Oh yeah! ;f

gamegod86
01-06-2005, 05:57
I have some sort of ATI all-in-wonder card (it's something like 9600XT, but I'm not sure) I will never go back to a single monitor.

Previously, I had and ATI 8500DV and a Voodoo 3 card.

Both setups work equally well, IMO. I don't do a lot of gaming, however.

But, unless there is something I am missing, you can't have different wallpapers for each monitor, (whether 1 card or 2) like you can on a Mac.

Also, one runs on DVI and one with the standard VGA connector at 1280x1024 32bit color, and I can't tell which is which on my 19" flat panels.

Dual monitor setups are handy if you transfer data (not via export) between programs, or if you edit video, or if you just multitask. Surfing GT and actually working at the same time, for instance...