Thinking of gettiing an external USB floppy questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of gettiing an external USB floppy questions

lwt210
01-06-2005, 16:00
My work laptop does not contain a CD/DVD drive and only has a floppy drive. Lately, I have been needing to get some data from the work computer to the home notebook and was thinking of getting a cheap external floppy for my personal laptop.

Most of this will be simple data like Word documents and such. Nothing fancy or large.

Suggestions? Office Max has one with a rebate right now. Anything I should be looking for? Any brands that I should shy away from? Price on theirs comes to like twenty bucks after rebate.

Or is a floppy a floppy a floppy? Thanks in advance.

NetNinja
01-06-2005, 16:59
USB drive.

bobby_w
01-06-2005, 17:19
2nd on the USB drive. Floppy is to small and a failure problem waiting to happen.

These Sandisk USB Drives are great as they easily squeeze in next to other devices plugged into your USB ports. Also has a geeky lanyard.

This one will hold about 365 floppies worth.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-405&depa=0

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/20-155-405-01.JPG

grantglock
01-06-2005, 18:22
3rd on the USB drive. The floppy is dead.

modgun
01-06-2005, 18:25
Whats a floppy?

;z

Washington,D.C.
01-06-2005, 18:27
In South Africa a floppy is called a stiffy.The newer smaller floppies are stiffer and less floppy than the older larger floppies.

modgun
01-06-2005, 18:31
Ive got my stiffy stuck in the computer!

lwt210
01-06-2005, 21:26
Oh yeah, I would love to just plug a USB drive in and go.......

....it's just that our system administrators have all sorts of safeguards in place to make it that much more difficult to load and unload data off these things. Guess that they are afraid someone is going to short out the network.

I was told by another that his USB flash drive would not work on our city computers. The floppy (plugged into my home system) is the only way that I can get data swapped. The city floppy works as it should and I can use that to swap data.

Is there a way to disable the USB port so that I can't use a flash drive or was that guy just doing something wrong? I'd hate to lay out cash for something that I can't use but I kind of need one for pics and getting them developed so that I can clear the memory on my digicam.

Maybe I'll buy a small one and try it out. If it doesn't work, I can use it for home use I guess.

Washington,D.C.
01-06-2005, 21:52
If I remember correctly there has to be software installed to use USB flash drive.I just received some software to use one in Linux but I haven't tried it yet.

David N.
01-06-2005, 22:13
Originally posted by lwt210
I was told by another that his USB flash drive would not work on our city computers. The floppy (plugged into my home system) is the only way that I can get data swapped. The city floppy works as it should and I can use that to swap data.

Is there a way to disable the USB port so that I can't use a flash drive or was that guy just doing something wrong? I'd hate to lay out cash for something that I can't use but I kind of need one for pics and getting them developed so that I can clear the memory on my digicam.

What kind of OS is on the city computers?

As to price, buy.com almost always has some brand of them on sale and with a rebate. You can usually find a 256mb one for less than $20, or a 512mb one for around $30, after the rebate. Free shipping is offered on orders over $25 for most things, including the usb drives.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10372843&adid=17070&dcaid=0

fastvfr
01-07-2005, 15:03
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
If I remember correctly there has to be software installed to use USB flash drive.I just received some software to use one in Linux but I haven't tried it yet.

Not really software, per se, but you do need to set up the simlinks and such.

All my Debian OSes have Flash drive capabilities.

lwt210
01-07-2005, 15:12
Originally posted by David N.
What kind of OS is on the city computers?

Windows 2000, 800 megahurt Celerons, floppy drive very small hard drive.....

you know...ancient.

I talked to another guy today and he said that he was able to swap data with a USB flash drive and it worked fine.

My city system will accept an optical mouse so I know that the port is active. Yet, when I plugged my digital camera into it, it flashed up a system administrator requirement

I tried to ask some of the IT folks but of course they were of little help. It looks like I am going to have to buy one and try it. If it doesn't work, I'll use it for my home notebook and picture developing.

Then I will be back at square one again. Thanks for all the help thusfar.

Perrito
01-07-2005, 15:37
Those USB jump drives are the way to go for sure. I have a sandisk cruzer titanium that holds just about anything short of a compact disk and it's faster than a compact disk both reading and writing. Depending on the operating system you will be using them on dictates whether or not you'll need to install the drivers. Drivers shouldn't be needed for Windows XP, Windows ME, or Windows 2000. For Windows 98 and 98SE you'll need drivers, which will come with your jump drive or you can download 'em (and they're small enough to fit on a floppy :)). I couldn't live without my jump drives!

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2005, 16:00
http://www.lehigh.edu/helpdesk/faq/qa/keychain.shtml USB devices work in Windows 98, 98 SE, 98 ME, 2000, and XP, Macintosh OS 8.6 and higher, and Linux. Under Windows 98 you may need to install a manufacturer's hardware device driver (typically included with your device or downloadable from the Internet).

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2005, 16:10
USB flash drives are using the USB protocol to interoperate with PCs (Macs too!) and devices with a USB port. Typically USB Flash Drives use mass storage class drivers that are incorporated in Windows Me, Windows 2000 and Windows XP or later as well as Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X or later as well as Linux 2.4.6 or later. Some manufacturers offer drivers for Windows 98 SE or Windows NT. Apple offers a mass storage class driver update for Mac OS 8.6. For more information, please consult with the manufacturer of the USB Flash Drive.

prism
01-07-2005, 23:03
could you email the files to a personal email account? (yahoo, google, etc)

if you had some webspace, could you upload them to it from work?

fastvfr
01-08-2005, 00:08
Most ISP's give their customers a limited amount of web page space with their accounts.

10MB or 20MB files can be shared and transferred in this way. You can set up a much larger page if you are willing to pay for the space and bandwidth.

glockguy1947
01-08-2005, 06:59
Also has a geeky lanyard.

I resent that remark. So does my G19. If it wasn't for that lanyard on my flash drive I would have lost it a long time ago.

Hey..I think I'm gonna get a lanyard for my Glock too!

Bruce

Toyman
01-08-2005, 08:11
The coolest USB Drive:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6ec2/

bobby_w
01-08-2005, 08:48
Originally posted by glockguy1947
I resent that remark. So does my G19. If it wasn't for that lanyard on my flash drive I would have lost it a long time ago.

Hey..I think I'm gonna get a lanyard for my Glock too!

Bruce

One of the guys I work with wears 4 of these drives around his neck all day. When he walks, he jingles like my dogs collar.

I have the lanyards on 2 of my 512mb's, but I just stick them in my pocket. Keeps me from losing them. Also have a 512mb on my keychain.

They are great for putting DVD's on them to watch on my notebook when traveling.

lwt210
01-08-2005, 13:54
Originally posted by prism
could you email the files to a personal email account? (yahoo, google, etc)

if you had some webspace, could you upload them to it from work?

It's all screened and they have safeguards in place.

I think the USB drive is the way to go. I am getting one next week.

One of the IT guys had to update some of my traffic crash stat files today and he said that USB drives should work like a charm for what I need.

Thanks for all of the replies.

prism
01-08-2005, 16:20
you could take the floppies to the local library, and email the files to yourself from their public-use computers.

Unbridled Rage
01-09-2005, 14:04
I use my Micro Advantage "QuickiDrive" 128 MB USB key in my work computer, a heavily administrated PIII running Windows 2000 with Novell oversight and other "idiot-proof" admin stuff.

Win2000 recognized my drive and installed (mounted) it just fine without the original Win2000 CDs or other driver software.

Some keys come with software already on them, for ease of use for transfers (or security), but mine just mounts up as drive E: and I move/copy as required.

D

Sinister Angel
01-09-2005, 14:50
I concure with the pen drive idea. In fact, mine goes with me EVERYWHERE I go. I throw it on the lanyard and put it around my neck. Am I pathetic? Probably, but it works ;f

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323395
That's why pen drives are nice.

lwt210
01-09-2005, 18:37
Ordered a 256 drive and it is probably going to be shipped Monday.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

Grog
01-17-2005, 23:22
The It guys had the USB ports blocked for awhile, couldn't use my own mouse. One day I plugged in my 128mb drive and it took it !!!!!!!!!!!

I've since undated to a 1gb Sandick Mini. Staples has the Sony 2bg mini hard drive for $99 A/R.