Losing weight and getting into shape [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight and getting into shape

jamesb3002
01-06-2005, 17:32
I have made a resolution to get into shape and slim down.

Any suggestions on where to start and what works best for someone who has not had any kind of regular exercise routine in the past?

grecco
01-06-2005, 17:38
1.eat smart,4-6 small meals a day
bigger meals earlier in the day.
cut fast food and soda.

2.cardio 3-4x a week
walk,run,cycle,swim,just get moving

3.wieght or resistance training

Tom_in_NM
01-06-2005, 18:14
Atkins has worked for me... I lost 30 lbs in about 4 months, and have kept it off for several months. Don't listen to the "media" version of Atkins - all meat - read the Atkins book and understand the concept. I eat lots of salads, vegtables, as well as lean meats. The elimination of sugar, and other simple carbs (e.g. white rice, bread) from your diet helps reduce you appetite, which reduces calorie intake, which helps you loose weight. No matter what diet you do it all comes down to a simple equation : excess calories (fat) = calories eaten - calories expended.

Exercise = more calories expended.
Eating less = less calories taken in.

testosterone
01-08-2005, 20:54
atkins works great. ive seen many people make amazing results....no matter what the media says the diet is safe and it works...
do your cardio (anything that gets your heart pumping..that can be a brisk walk, speed walk, jog, run, swim......) first thing in the morning on an empty stomach....body will burn fat as energy...wait about 45mins and drink a protein rich shake....

eat 5-6 small balanced meals per day to speed up your metabloism and keep your body from catabolism (breaking down muscle tissue to sustain itself)....you can substute a low calorie/carb high protein shake for 2 of these meals. also take a scoop of a micellian (mixed protein) blend before bedtime.

drink ATLEAST 1 gallon of water per day.....

take VITAMINS...GOOD VITAMINS..not all vitamins are created equal.i only use Great Earth vitamins as they are made in a pharmacutical grade plant.meaning they could, if needed, make actual drugs in their facilities....

take a multivitamin, multimineral, vitamin e and vitamin c.

if you have the money go to a nutritionist....

you can also consider a diet supplement but without doing everyting above then its useless....

let me know if you have any questions..

geminicricket
01-08-2005, 22:54
jamesb3002

What those guys say does work, just don't lie to yourself about your resolve.

What seems to work for me is to tell myself with certainty that tomorrow I will weigh less than I do today.

Weight loss is 100% mental.

California Jack
01-09-2005, 12:48
When I was in you position, I started the Body For Life program. It is a fantastic starting point.

Christine
02-02-2005, 00:27
Get a physical!!! Talk to your doctor, check out your health plan see if it covers physical or nutrician therapy use whatever resources you can but avoid anything that is all or nothing and extreme diets or exercise programs

1. Write down EVERY thing you eat - track it and look for weakness.
2. Daily vitamin
3. Dietary Calcium (low fat)
4. Make realistic goals

Keeping a honest food diary will tell you about your dietary needs. Do not change your eating habits dramatically right out of the chute. If you are eating 2500-3000 calories a day now and try to cut down to 1500 overnight you WILL be hungry, cheat, and most likely give up. Figure out how much you eat and then try to cut down 250-300 calories each week until you get down to your goal. There are websites that can help you figure out how much you should be eating to lose weight but remember if you go too low your body will think it is starving and you wont be meeting your goals.

Exercise, again start out slow if you have been completely inactive start out walking you'll be amazed at your results! Again don't say I'm going to walk 3 miles EVERY day if you work 60 hours a week, you will not be able to make this big a change overnight, you will cheat and most likely give up. Give yourself a goal you know you can reach - this week I will walk for 20 minutes 2 days. There is no rule that says that your goal is ALL you have to do ;) Add to your goals each week until you are exercising as much as you want.

Variety is important. Cardio (any kind) and weight lifting combined. Also consider core training.

Getting fit and healthy is a lifestyle change not a fad, give yourself managable goals, forgive yourself when you slip (but get back up) and find ways to measure success besides the scale. Resting heart rate, blood pressure, body measurements etc. Try to remember that although the end result is that you'll look better you will feel better and be healthier.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results!

45acp4me
02-03-2005, 16:15
Originally posted by Christine
Get a physical!!! Talk to your doctor, check out your health plan see if it covers physical or nutrician therapy use whatever resources you can but avoid anything that is all or nothing and extreme diets or exercise programs

1. Write down EVERY thing you eat - track it and look for weakness.
2. Daily vitamin
3. Dietary Calcium (low fat)
4. Make realistic goals

Keeping a honest food diary will tell you about your dietary needs. Do not change your eating habits dramatically right out of the chute. If you are eating 2500-3000 calories a day now and try to cut down to 1500 overnight you WILL be hungry, cheat, and most likely give up. Figure out how much you eat and then try to cut down 250-300 calories each week until you get down to your goal. There are websites that can help you figure out how much you should be eating to lose weight but remember if you go too low your body will think it is starving and you wont be meeting your goals.

Exercise, again start out slow if you have been completely inactive start out walking you'll be amazed at your results! Again don't say I'm going to walk 3 miles EVERY day if you work 60 hours a week, you will not be able to make this big a change overnight, you will cheat and most likely give up. Give yourself a goal you know you can reach - this week I will walk for 20 minutes 2 days. There is no rule that says that your goal is ALL you have to do ;) Add to your goals each week until you are exercising as much as you want.

Variety is important. Cardio (any kind) and weight lifting combined. Also consider core training.

Getting fit and healthy is a lifestyle change not a fad, give yourself managable goals, forgive yourself when you slip (but get back up) and find ways to measure success besides the scale. Resting heart rate, blood pressure, body measurements etc. Try to remember that although the end result is that you'll look better you will feel better and be healthier.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results!

Good advice and I'll re-stress the cardio.

Check out www.fitday.com, it's a good place to track your intake.

Regards,
Glen