Comp wont boot! Please Help!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Comp wont boot! Please Help!!

jhall
01-06-2005, 23:45
So, the system I just built a couple months ago wont boot up and I'm fresh out of ideas on what the problem is.

Specs -

ASUS P4P800 E Deluxe MOBO
P4 3.0E ghz CPU
512 mb RAM
200 gig HDD
Sony DVDRW
Artec DVDROM/CDRW
NVIDIA Video card of some sort
Antec Case 350w truepower PSU

Symptoms - Press the power button everything whirls up for a few seconds, then dies, then whirls back up, then dies for good.

I thought it might be the PSU, so i put a new one in, does the same thing. Ive pulled everything out, video cards, modems, wireless NICS, and tried it also. Same thing.

Ive unhooked damn near everything on it in fact except for power connections and it does the same thing.

Anybody have any ideas? The only thing left is either the MOBO or CPU right?

SamBuca
01-07-2005, 01:18
Motherboard is shorting out, RAM/video card is not seated correctly, or there's dust preventing a good connection.

fastvfr
01-07-2005, 13:57
Could also be a hinky CPU socket alignment.

Try reseating it as soon as you can score some Arctic Silver TIM.

chevrofreak
01-07-2005, 16:24
make sure nothing on your motherboard is grounding out against the case

jhall
01-10-2005, 12:20
I pulled the CPU and reset it. Still does the same thing...

I think maybe it is the mother board... it was acting wierd before it shut down on me..the audio connectors kept saying there was a invalid connection in the line out port. but there was no speaker hooked up to it..

and when i did hook a speaker up to it I couldnt get audio...

SamBuca
01-10-2005, 13:15
Originally posted by jhall
I pulled the CPU and reset it. Still does the same thing...

I think maybe it is the mother board... it was acting wierd before it shut down on me..the audio connectors kept saying there was a invalid connection in the line out port. but there was no speaker hooked up to it..

and when i did hook a speaker up to it I couldnt get audio...
I repeat...did you check the CMOS reset jumper?

chevrofreak
01-10-2005, 16:06
If it has onboard audio or networking or anything, disable it in BIOS. onboard audio likes to not work

AZ-Boog
01-10-2005, 16:12
Follow the above post and reset the cmos jumper for about 10 seconds. Obviously turn your system off first and unplug it from the wall. If this doesn't work take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface. Hook the bare minimum up to it and see if it powers up in that condition. If it does, add components to it, one at a time untill everything is added on. If it still powers up ok check your case for any sources of grounding against the bottom of the motherboard. Look for unused mounting screws and the like.

If it doesn't power up out of the case I'd suspect the cpu or mobo.

SamBuca
01-10-2005, 18:20
I didn't say to change the position of the CMOS reset jumper. I said to just check where it is.

Just so there's no confusion:

MOST MANUFACTURERS WILL SEND THE MOTHERBOARD TO YOU WITH THE CMOS JUMPER ACTIVE. That way, they're absolutely sure you're getting the default settings from them and saving the battery.

QuickSilver
01-10-2005, 22:02
I have had this same problem several times before. All that is usually needed to cure it is to take out the battery for a few min. You can also just use the Cmos reset jumper, if you know where it is, as taking the batt out on certain mobos can sometimes be a pain. Either way, the effect is the same, clearing the Cmos. Good luck. :)