Need help please take a look at this setup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help please take a look at this setup

Dyno
01-07-2005, 08:22
This system has been spooky and unstabile since day one,hdd test says it's ok. I wonder if setup was wrong from mfg. Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated as I am in way over my head. Thanks,Dyno

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7DX(C)
CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM
CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1006.96 Mhz
CPU Multiplier 10.0x
CPU FSB 100.70 MHz
Memory Bus 100.70 MHz
CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)
Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset AMD-760
Memory Timings 2-2-2-5 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Memory Timings:
@ 125 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 100 MHz 2.0-2-2-5 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Memory Slots:
DRAM Slot #1 128 MB (PC1600 DDR SDRAM)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter nVIDIA Vanta
GPU Code Name NV5 (AGP 4x 10DE / 002C, Rev 15)
GPU Clock 100 MHz
Memory Clock 125 MHz
Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 101 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 201 MHz
Bandwidth 1611 MB/s
Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 34 MHz
Effective Clock 34 Mhz
Bandwidth 134 MB/s
Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 101 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 201 MHz
Bandwidth 1611 MB/s

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2005, 08:58
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7DXC.htm

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2005, 09:05
PROCESSOR
Socket A for AMD Athlon™ /Duron™ 200MHz FSB processors
Auto-detects CPU voltage

Chipset
AMD-761™ north bridge
VIA 686B south bridge
AC97 codec + Creative CT5880 sound chip

Memory (DDR)
Supports up to 2GB of PC1600 / DDR200 SDRAM
2 DDR DIMMs of 184-pin sockets
Supports 72bits ECC type DRAM integrity mode

Slot
1 x AGP slot supports 2X/4X mode & AGP 2.0 compliant
5 x PCI slots support 33MHz & PCI 2.2 compliant
1 x AMR (Audio Modem Riser) slot

I/O
UDMA ATA 100/66 bus master IDE ports on board
1 x FDD, 2 x COM, 1 x LPT, PS/2 Keyboard, PS/2 Mouse on board
1 x joystick, 1 x line-in, 1 x line-out and 1 x MIC on board
2 x USB ports on board, 2 x USB ports by cable (cable optional)
IrDA TX / RX header

H/W Monitoring
Auto speed down and alarm when CPU overheat or fan failure (OS independent & driverless)
3 fan power & speed detection connectors
Stop CPU fan in suspend mode
System health status detect & report by BIOS
H/W detect & report Power-in voltage, CPU voltage and CMOS battery status

BIOS
AWARD BIOS, 2M bit flash ROM, enhanced ACPI feature for PC98/Win98/WinMe/ Win2000 compliance, Green, PnP, DMI, INT13 (>8.4GB) & Anti-Virus functions
IDE, SCSI, LS120, ZIP & CD-ROM bootable
AC recovery ON/OFF control
Auto-detect & report system health status
Supports @BIOS™ Live Update

Form Factor
ATX form factor, 4 layers PCB (31.2*23.2 cm)

Other Features
Supports EasyTune III™
Includes 3 fan power connectors
Poly fuse for keyboard over-current protection

Notes
The GA-7DXC offers the same basic feature set as other 760 motherboards that have been announced. Five PCI slots with one AMR, two DDR DIMM sockets, and ATA/100 compliance provided by VIA's 686B South Bridge. Most motherboard manufacturers are opting for the VIA's South Bridge instead of AMD's 766 in their designs.

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2005, 09:08
It is worth noting that the Gigabyte 7DXC comes packaged with version 1.71 of AMD's AGP driver. On AMD's website, version 1.80 is released, and the readme says that AMD 760 support was added in this version. A slight oversight on Gigabyte's part, but easy to fix. We also were getting quite a few crashes when we were testing the system. We found that moving to the fully released version of Nvidia's Detonator 3 drivers (version 6.31) stopped the crashing. We were testing with version 7.10, which has supposedly been optimized for DirectX 8 and the P4, but apparently there is something in the code that causes a lockup on the newest AMD platform. We will continue to investigate this problem.

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2005, 09:12
Aside from the slightly disappointing benchmarks, the PCI bridge between the AMD 761 and Via 686B chips is a question mark. Via has stated that its next-generation chipsets will have an isolated connection with double the bandwidth of the PCI bridge. This removes the standard problems associated with the sharing of bandwidth and should improve real-world performance of the system as a whole. As with the AMD 750 before it, AMD has provided a good stable platform for the next step of its processors. However, I think it will be up to companies such as Via and ALi to take it to the next level of performance.

The Gigabyte platform gives us relatively few overclocking options, but was very stable after all the driver issues were sorted out. The EasyTune system gives some optimizations, but without a clock multiplier adjustment or voltage control, many of Athlon tweakers will be very disappointed by this product. However, given the benchmarking results, business applications were the biggest beneficiaries of the DDR interface, and for these systems, stability is usually more important that tweaking.

NetNinja
01-07-2005, 11:37
Dyno

Where is Georgia are you located?

Dyno
01-07-2005, 15:09
Washington,D.C.,
Thank you for taking the time to look at the benchmark results that the Everest program returned on my system. I was hoping that someone could look at the test results and might see something that may be set wrong that would causes constant crashes and lockups . Unfortunately I just don't know where to start, perhaps the agp is set to use too much of the sys resources or something obvious. I have never done any setup work on a mobo and I'm not sure of what to do next. One thing is for sure, before it is over I just may learn something from this spooky mobo even if the I can't get it to work propperly.

Thanks again, Dyno

NetNinja,
I am located in the mountains of north Ga.

Washington,D.C.
01-07-2005, 15:23
I would make sure it has the latest bios especially if using Wondows XP.With a Vanta video card I wouldn't go too new with video driver.Some of the older ones are more stable than others.45.23 works well.Any newer than it with the Vanta card is not needed.Also you should make sure you have the latest AGP driver.