windows media player has no sound? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : windows media player has no sound?

CarbineKid
01-08-2005, 00:27
I cant figure this out. I have windows XP and the Windows media player has always worked fine Tongiht I tried to view a trailer form a movie, and theres no sound. I checked the mute button(its off) and the rest of the volume control buttons on the computer(all okay). I have sound on everything except when I use the windows media player? ANy ideas on what I should try/do? I even checked the microsoft help page, but its no real help.
Yikes!!! I tried system restore, and i cant do it. It shows a calender of 2005, and says I have no restoe points(last is in 2004?)...just my luck

Cryptoboy
01-08-2005, 00:46
Sounds like you might be missing an audio codec for that trailer (my experience was always the other way around though, no vid, but plenty of sound!) Do a search on google for codecs, that might help you some. (Hard to tell you exactly which codec, depending on where you d/l the trailer from, etc. etc.)

CarbineKid
01-08-2005, 01:04
It was actually a trailer from yahoo(the new batman one). It seems that there is no sound at all. I tried to delete the program and re install with no luck:(

ThinkOfTheChildren
01-08-2005, 01:47
Can you play any other videos in WMP with sounds? Any at all?

If so, you simply lack the proper codec for the video as mentioned above.

There is a program called GSpot that you can use that will tell you what codecs a video uses: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Just use GSpot to identify what codecs you need and then install them individually.

Some might tell you to install massive codec packs but these usually cause just as many problems as they fix.

fastvfr
01-08-2005, 11:45
Or you could try WinAmp5.