Is my computer infected with adware? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is my computer infected with adware?


Russ in PA
01-08-2005, 14:48
I'm experiencing the most ANNOYING problem. When doing EBay searches, a new browser window opens with a website called "WhenUsearch". The website displays "search results" of what I'm shopping for on EBay. The website prefix is http://bidtxt.whenu.com

Is there a way of blocking this website from my computer? This is *****ing ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

dao
01-08-2005, 15:12
Sounds like you did get hit with some adware...

Microsoft just came out with an adware/spyware utility - it looks pretty good. You can download it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

I've put it on all my Windows machines - it did clean up some (harmless) junk - I think it should help with what you describe...

fastvfr
01-08-2005, 15:29
Hey, Russ;

Have any Browser Toolbars or Searchbars installed?

In other words, does your Internet Exploder window look like this?!
http://www.tehrokh.com/flexbeta/images/toolbars.gif

Notice that just from your symptoms, I know you aren't using Firefox or any Mozilla products for that matter...so maybe this would be a good time to use a browser that HASN'T been universally condemned by every security firm in the world.

And I would recommend Spybot S&D 1.3 and Ad-Aware for all your adware removal needs.

Good luck!!

SamBuca
01-08-2005, 15:39
Please note that in the latest test, the new Microsoft Antispyware did better than both Adaware and Spybot.

It's an amazing program. Go to microsoft.com and give it a shot...it also includes hijack protection (your current problem).

Russ in PA
01-08-2005, 17:11
I downloaded that Spyware patch, but I'm still having the problem. Whoever's responsible for devising these programs.....I'd like to pull their testicles from their body. And stomp on them.

SamBuca
01-08-2005, 17:47
Originally posted by Russ in PA
I downloaded that Spyware patch, but I'm still having the problem. Whoever's responsible for devising these programs.....I'd like to pull their testicles from their body. And stomp on them.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

This program has a hijack restore feature...use the blue arrows to set the defaults back.

NetNinja
01-08-2005, 18:21
This program has a hijack restore feature...use the blue arrows to set the defaults back.

So does Spybot. If you install the program "teatime" it will protect your system in realtime by preventing any program trying to make any registery changes or trying to hyjack your browser.

http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

I am also running the microsoft program also.

I bet you a million dollars when the beta testing is done MS is going to charge for it.

Washington,D.C.
01-08-2005, 21:13
The Microsoft one is very good.Try these. I know they are a lot but they find and remove different things. http://majorgeeks.com/download4466.html and http://majorgeeks.com/download506.html and http://majorgeeks.com/download3263.html and http://majorgeeks.com/download2471.html and http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4281.html and http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html Download the updates for all of those after installing, except CCleaner.

Wulfenite
01-08-2005, 21:22
Originally posted by SamBuca
Please note that in the latest test, the new Microsoft Antispyware did better than both Adaware and Spybot.

It's an amazing program. Go to microsoft.com and give it a shot...it also includes hijack protection (your current problem).

The best thing I can think of about a new microsoft browser is that it will keep the hackers focused on microsoft instead of the browser I'm using.

HighVelocity
01-08-2005, 21:33
I installed the Microsoft antispyware program yesterday and I am pretty impressed with it. It found things on my pc that spybot, adaware, and spysweeper ALL missed.

tous
01-08-2005, 22:28
I have an 'exploit' lab machine with XP Home Edition and I was also quite satisfied with Microsoft AntiSpyWare.

Off topic:

Since WalterGA has cut of my supply of Paxil and Solomon Juice ...
fastvfr, do you get a buck every time you recommend ABIE (Anything but Internet Explorer?) If my car runs out of gas I imagine that you would suggest that I leave the evil car on the side of the road and buy one that you have more affection for.

It's an operating system, it's not a religion.

bobby_w
01-09-2005, 00:16
Originally posted by tous

Off topic:

Since WalterGA has cut of my supply of Paxil and Solomon Juice ...
fastvfr, do you get a buck every time you recommend ABIE (Anything but Internet Explorer?) If my car runs out of gas I imagine that you would suggest that I leave the evil car on the side of the road and buy one that you have more affection for.

It's an operating system, it's not a religion.

;z

God help us all if he gets the Macintosh religion. ;f

10 Ring Tao
01-09-2005, 15:57
Is the M$ spyware app a standalone app to be run whenever I need like AdAware, or does it sit in the background sucking up my resources like norton antivirus?

Washington,D.C.
01-09-2005, 16:23
It scans when you choose.It also can be set for automatic scan every day.The default is 2am but can be switched off or changed.It doesn't monitor the system.

SamBuca
01-09-2005, 18:34
I have the real-time agent going.

If you used decent anti-virus software (McAfee), then it wouldn't suck up your resources. MS Antispyware does not consume all your resources...and it does detect things in action.

10 Ring Tao
01-10-2005, 11:34
McAfee is just as bad, not to mention there is no reason to pay for antivirus or spyware anymore.

SamBuca
01-10-2005, 12:35
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
McAfee is just as bad, not to mention there is no reason to pay for antivirus or spyware anymore.
Not really...but thanks.