How To Set Up A VPN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How To Set Up A VPN

Hawk11
01-08-2005, 16:25
What it the easiest way to set up a VPN?

NetNinja
01-08-2005, 17:16
You need to give more information that that.

Specifics, specifics and specifics.

If you placed that statement in the Google search you are going to get a couple of hundred ways to setup a VPN

Who
What
When
Where
Why

Setting up a VPN is as easy as creating a VPN access point on your router.

The Equpiment you are going to use would be helpful.

Help me to help you!

Hawk11
01-08-2005, 17:28
I want to set up a VPN between my computer and a friends computer through cable modem. I have a Linksys router and he has a Netgear router. I want to be able to link the 2 computers so we can share files and backup data. I apologize for asking such a general question, I just didn't know what all was involved in setting one up.

NetNinja
01-08-2005, 18:07
Welcome to the world of VPN.
It will drive you insane!

This my be tricky because those routers may not support VPN access.

I know Linksys makes a VPN type router.

BEFVP41

I don't think Netgear does.

Here is an article using a opensource VPN.

This may work for your needs.
http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/

I have setup VPN's for my companys employees but I am using Cisco PIX firewall and 128 encryption.

Sinister Angel
01-08-2005, 18:08
I'm interested in this thread because VPNs are something which are completely black magic to me.

srhoades
01-09-2005, 00:02
I've used realvnc from realvnc.com
Easy to setup and you can tunnel it through SSH

However if you are just looking to share files, setup OpenSSH and use WinSCP

gsarg
01-12-2005, 11:57
I use Cisco VPN software with work. When I'm at a client site, I'm unable to use the VPN software due to the client firewall blocking access. Any suggestions on getting it tunneled through?

NetNinja
01-12-2005, 13:58
gsarg

If your client site is blocking you then the Network admin is doing his job. The only way you are going to get through thier firewall is if the Network admin allows the VPN to go through.
Do they allow you DHCP? If they do then VPN connectivity should not be a problem.

Where are you located physically when you can connect with the VPN?

I would check to see whether the VPN is giving you a private IP address when you have connected via the VPN.

If they can't figure it out I would be more than willing to help them out. For a Cheeseburger today!