Built New Computer - Won't Boot Up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Built New Computer - Won't Boot Up

8Ring
01-08-2005, 19:43
Hello All:

I decided to something new and build a computer to occupy my spare time on these cold days. I bought an Abit socket A board, an AMD Sempron Processor, 1 Gig of high speed DDR ram, and all the rest of the goodies.

I bought a cheap case and power supply, but got everything assembled and hooked up according to the motherboard manual. I installed the video card and modem, even though it was a chore to seat them in their slots. All drives were connected to the right part of the MB. All power connections to MB, hard drive, floppy, CD drives, and fans were properly made.

When I turned it on there was nothing except a red LED shining on the southeast corner of the board. No fans spinning, no drives whirling, nothing. Obviously some power is getting to the MB, but nothing else is going.

My layman's guess is that I have a bad power supply. Even if the power connection to the MB was bad or inadequate, wouldn't the fans still work? But it's a little puzzling to have some power to the MB, but nothing else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

NetNinja
01-08-2005, 20:30
Ok unplug everything except the essentials.

Graphics card
Hard Drive. make sure it's on the Primary IDE controller and your hard drives jumper pin is set to master.

Graphics card
Hard drive
Power to the motherbaord and hard drive

Make sure your power button is connected to the correct pins on the mother board.

Try again.

Make sure none of those posts on the back side of the motherboard is sitting on top of any soldered joints.

And if you have to force anything into a computer you are doing something wrong or something is miss aligned.

SamBuca
01-09-2005, 01:48
Put the CMOS reset jumper back into the other position. Most motherboards come with it jumped to reset.

srhoades
01-09-2005, 03:41
I know it sounds silly but make sure the cpu fan is not on backwards. This will prevent a system from booting.

klmmicro
01-09-2005, 08:12
The instruction to remove everything and add a piece at a time back is the absolute best, but there are a couple of quick checks you might try first.

Remove the pwr and rst switch connectors and insure that they are in the correct locations. That pin-set is cramped down there and it is easy to mix them up. Also, make sure that your CPU fan is connected to the correct pinset. The ABIT board has one for the CPU, one for the PWR SUP, and one for the CSFAN. They are all the same color and config, easy to mix-up. If you have it plugged into one of the casefan "sockets", the system will not boot.

chevrofreak
01-09-2005, 13:02
I have a feeling you quickly learn, as I did, that cheap cases and power supplies are the devil.

10 Ring Tao
01-09-2005, 14:49
I 2nd the CMOS jumper. That tripped me up on the first system I built. I spent two days screwing around with it trying to get the thing to boot. Everything was just as you describe it, obvious power getting to mobo, but nothing else was working. I even took apart the power switch. Grrr.....

One tiny little jumper caused all that frustration.

Originally posted by chevrofreak
I have a feeling you quickly learn, as I did, that cheap cases and power supplies are the devil.

I learned this the hard way. Over the last three years I've gone through about one PS per year until I finally ponied up the $40 for an AGI.

The first one I had was rated at 350 watts, but as I later found out, cheap PSs don't usually give the advertised output. Because of that, I would get failure to boot messages as a result of my hard drive not getting enough power to run. I thought I had a failing HD for awhile. Another Grrr....

echo99
01-18-2005, 07:56
Originally posted by 8Ring
Hello All:

I decided to something new and build a computer to occupy my spare time on these cold days. I bought an Abit socket A board, an AMD Sempron Processor, 1 Gig of high speed DDR ram, and all the rest of the goodies.

I bought a cheap case and power supply, but got everything assembled and hooked up according to the motherboard manual. I installed the video card and modem, even though it was a chore to seat them in their slots. All drives were connected to the right part of the MB. All power connections to MB, hard drive, floppy, CD drives, and fans were properly made.

When I turned it on there was nothing except a red LED shining on the southeast corner of the board. No fans spinning, no drives whirling, nothing. Obviously some power is getting to the MB, but nothing else is going.

My layman's guess is that I have a bad power supply. Even if the power connection to the MB was bad or inadequate, wouldn't the fans still work? But it's a little puzzling to have some power to the MB, but nothing else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Possible memory, if the memory is not seated correctly or is wrong for the system the fail safe is to prevent boot. Try another module. Then try the obvious, switch power cables, different wall socket, power supply, check all items with a volt meter. etc.

Egyas
01-18-2005, 09:12
Originally posted by chevrofreak

^6

Isn't that the truth? The extra $20 is SOOOOO worth not having to go throught the trouble.