Training a hunting dog [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Training a hunting dog

RMTactical
01-09-2005, 05:05
I want to train my Cur to help me hunt chukar and quail and such. What is the best way to go about this?

ucsdryder
01-09-2005, 13:37
Cur?

Do yourself a huge favor and buy yourself the book Gun Dog, by Richard Walters. It has everything you need. If you can't read, or don't like to, I think there is also a DVD version. Do a search on google.

GM

RMTactical
01-09-2005, 16:05
Black Mouth Cur, same dog as old yeller.

Thanks!

Hoingshiba
01-09-2005, 17:56
I cant wait till i get a place and can get a couple hunting dogs. It kills me to lose birds, and it unfortunately happens too much.

GoreLicks - I love the avatar...Gosh!

RMTactical
01-09-2005, 17:58
Originally posted by Hoingshiba
I cant wait till i get a place and can get a couple hunting dogs. It kills me to lose birds, and it unfortunately happens too much.

GoreLicks - I love the avatar...Gosh!

;)

Yeah, I just got this BMC, he is a good dog and should be a great hunting dog. I am considering getting a chocolate lab as well. Do you think they would work good together or should I get dogs of the same breed?

USPcompact
01-10-2005, 00:48
Originally posted by ucsdryder
Cur?

Do yourself a huge favor and buy yourself the book Gun Dog, by Richard Walters. It has everything you need. If you can't read, or don't like to, I think there is also a DVD version. Do a search on google.

GM

Do yourself a favor and get this book/DVD. The DVD's are an updated version of the book, and are a nice supplement to the info that the book presents. "Game Dog" is also very well done, as is "Water Dog."

Glockerel
01-10-2005, 07:43
The dogs should get along fine as long as one is brought in as a pup- preferable the lab. Curs are good dogs, but can be one owner type dogs. If you introduce an amiable, eager to please breed like a lab, the cur will have no huge dominance issues over a happy pup- it'll settle itself very quickly.

I've had chocolates all my life and find them to be wonderful dogs for pets and for hunting.

Try www.lab-retriever.net for a great site on all things lab.