TotalGym [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TotalGym

san_antonian
01-09-2005, 11:06
Anybody have Chuck Norris' Total Gym? What do you think of it?

freakshow10mm
01-09-2005, 12:13
Bought one five years ago. It was alright. More for toning than weight training. Went back to free weights.

Ksrad
01-14-2005, 16:38
I have had one for 3 years it works pretty good. But like he said more for toning.

KeithS
01-14-2005, 18:14
I bought one online several years ago. Significantly cheaper than from the "official" website. When I tried to order a few parts to replace some minor shipping damage, it turned out that I apparantly had purchased a knockoff. Without a serial number TotalGym would not sell me replacement parts. Lesson learned. Anyway, I used it for a few years until a cable broke and I just chucked it. I liked the machine and used it a lot, it is probably better for toning.....which was what I was looking for. If you buy one, be certain it is "real"...from an authorized dealer.

san_antonian
01-15-2005, 19:27
a few years ago, i bought one directly from the site. At that time, it was about 500.00. I check online now and it is about 900.00. I am glad I bought it then. The one that I have, you can add extra weights to it on the bottom making it better for power lifting.

ateamer
01-16-2005, 01:44
$900 for a Total Gym? See the thread on home gyms. Find, or weld it up yourself, a power rack for $300-$400, a bench for $100 and hit the used sporting goods stores and garage sales for used weights. Total investment of $600-$700 will do way more for you than a Total Gym ever will, and will outlast you and your kids.

freakshow10mm
01-16-2005, 11:01
I have a Weider 138 bench and it cost me only $40. Two weeks later they hand one for $50, but it had a preacher curl setup. I should have waited and got that one.

pete1953
01-17-2005, 23:34
Total Gym is great for toning and rehab. I got mine through the company that makes them for PT offices. The rights for the home market were sold off and that is what is advertised on TV. BTW, Chuck Norris has been using the original for over 17 years. Get the real deal if you are getting one. Dammaged a part after about 7 years and the company replaced it free.

California Jack
01-18-2005, 18:40
Once again I must side with Ateamer.

sy2k
01-19-2005, 13:51
Here's my $.02. Total gyms are great for rehab. If you're a healthy person, I think they are more than adequate for general upper body training, but lack a little for the lower body. The weight plate attachments help to give a little more resistance for leg work. The 'clinical' models I've used are superb quality and solidly built. I've seen the lesser-priced models in local sporting goods store and think they are a complete waste of money. I'm not sure if is what the 'Chuck Norris' model is like.

A good routine on a Total Gym is to develop a flowing program of alternating push/pull, upper to lower body exercises with no rest breaks. I've taught this to many people with generally good results.

Myself - I still prefer a set of adjustable dumbbells (dumbbell bar/spring collars/weight plates from 2.5 to 10#), an adjustable weight bench and a 'Power Tower' or doorway bar for pull-up routines. All that can be had for less than $200.

pete1953
01-21-2005, 23:45
Chuck Noris uses the Industrial heavy duty model, not the cheap piece sold on TV or in Walmart, KMart, etc.

Str8shootr
02-08-2005, 12:00
Just ordered one today off an eBay store. $275.00 The seller has a 99.1% approval rating from previous buyers. She advertises it as "the real thing", new in box with warranty. Guess I will find out in a few days. The current web page for Total Gym shows prices starting over $1300. Just want it for upper body, legs and butt are tight enough. LOL

pete1953
02-08-2005, 22:57
You can use it for squats, just do one leg at a time. Also run the chinup bar through the seat area and hand extra weight from it. Just go out and buy some plates if you don't already have some.

Medford4
02-10-2005, 10:21
Hey str8shootr, Who'd you get that from on Ebay? Let me know how it works for you.

Str8shootr
02-11-2005, 07:48
I went to eBay, to the Health and Fitness section, and did a search for "total gym chuck norris".....several popped up. I didn't want to mess with the auction thingie.....so I just ordered one from one of the online stores. I think her name was Lynn

I will post the results when I receive it in the mail.

Medford4
02-15-2005, 14:01
Just ordered a new one off ebay from Bayou Fitness. It's the model that also does pilates (the missus thinks she needs that). Shipping and all came to $400...with a lifetime warranty...Beats the hell out of the Chuck Norris $1585 model (plus you have to add another $60 to get the pilates attachment.)