Home Gyms [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Gyms

ateamer
01-09-2005, 14:03
Who else has a home gym? I still keep my commercial gym membership because my partners train there; I lift with them twice a week and at home the other two days.

I have about $1,000 invested in my home gym for the following equipment:
-Power rack
-Adjustable bench
-Olympic bar with good, sharp knurling
-About 850 pounds of Olympic plates
-120 pounds of chain (increases weight as the bar goes up, thereby defeating improved leverage and forcing the lifter to be more explosive)
-Jump Stretch bands (very heavy rubber bands - not Thera-Bands - same purpose as chains, but more eccentric (downward) tension)
-Dumbbell handles and about 120 pounds of plates for them
-Swiss ball (do situps where your head goes all the way to the floor with up to 100 pounds held across the chin and your abs will get strong like crazy)
-Glute ham raise bench (similar to a hyper bench, but with a curved hip pad, pads both above and below the ankles and a plate to push the feet against; mine was a cheapy that a training partner and I modified to have the proper hip pad angle and a fullsized footplate, along with band attachment hooks to increase resistance; once I finish enlarging the pad, it will be just as good as a $700 unit for a total of about $250)
-8'x8' platform (doubled sheets of 3/4" plywood)
-E-Z curl bar
-Neck harness
-Dip belt
-Dragging sled for general physical preparedness (homemade from plywood)
-Squatting box
-Ironmind Captains of Crush grippers #1-3. (I can do 8-10 reps with the #2 and get the #3 halfway closed - I think that with doing negatives, I will be able to crush the #3 before the year is over.)

All of this is squeezed into approximately 10'x12' in my garage. Oh yes, there is also a boombox with CD player for my death metal. (Hard to get a good workout with wimpy music - silence is better.)

I want to add a few things, such as another Olympic bar because I bent mine doing rack pulls (deadlift lockouts). The next bar will be a Texas Power Bar, $200, takes at least 700 pounds to start bending, never seen one that was permanently bent. Other additions will be more 45 pound plates, a new bench (heavier-duty, nonadjustable because I haven't done inclines in 10 years) and Reverse Hyper. (A Reverse Hyper is a machine that you lie face-down across, with a swinging arm underneath to which weights are attached. The feet attach to the swingarm through a nylon strap. The machine is for developing and rehabbing the lower back. It really is better than any other method, because it allows the spine to open up and fluid to re-enter the discs. It was invented by powerlifting innovator Louie Simmons.) Also, I'd like some slightly thicker, longer dumbbell handles with enough weight to go up to 180 pounds or so each.

California Jack
01-09-2005, 14:59
I have a platform made with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and 3/4" rubbermats. I have a cheap oly bar and iron.

Ironmind squat stand and dipping bars. Adjustable saw horses to spot squats.

Dip belt.

Plate loaded dumbell handles.

I will soon be adding some bumper plates and a cable set.

Eventually I'll add a good weightlifting bar, athick bar, and some grip tools.

Hey ateamer, in the latest Ironmind catalog, did you see the thing that you can attach to their grippers to increase their resistance? So you can attach it to your number 2 and make it a 2.5.

Are you going to become a certified COC?

I guess you can train your grip through your hamstring recovery.

Jack

Wet Dog
01-09-2005, 17:57
When I built my home I made sure I had a place for my gym. I've managed to collect a lot of stuff over the years but I'm still looking for more pieces.

Currently I have;
-Parabody Power Rac,
-two Parabody multi-ajust benches with all the attatchments
-Tuff Stuff leg press/hack squat
-A bunch o'plate, both Olympic and 1"
-Parabody Dumbell rack with a mix of fixed and hex dumbells.
-Leg Extenstion and Curl machine.
-Pacemaster treadmill
-Nordic track
-fluid trainer for my bike
-misc goodies, handles etc.

I just sold my Vectra Online 1500. Nice machine but took up a lot of space and most of the excercises are easily duplicated with the free weight. Selling it freed up some space for some recliners and big screen tv;f

I miss the high and low cables, the dip station but I'll try to find the attachments for my Power Rack. I'd like to fill in some gaps in my dumbell collection too. Good problem.

testosterone
01-09-2005, 18:09
ive priced out what i would need and the db's would cost me well over 1k.....i would love to have all my own equipment but then again it takes away some of the fun of going to the gym and feeding off that energy.......and the hot chicks.

California Jack
01-09-2005, 20:05
Here's what Brooks Kubik has to say about home gyms.

http://brookskubik.com/tip32.html

California Jack
01-09-2005, 20:09
ateamer,

Here's the gripper deal I was talking about......http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1387&variation=&aitem=8&mitem=11

ateamer
01-09-2005, 21:00
California Jack,
I've seen those and think I might buy them.

Kubik's article was good. I could get by just fine on his basics. I think that for someone who isn't doing Oly lifting, a power rack is much safer than just squat stands.

I got my rack from www.bwproducts.com/fitness/index.htm His stuff is all top quality and at a price that can't be beat.

Edited to add: I read some of the tips on Kubik's site. It's got me fired up to do some old-school power training for a while just for something different.

California Jack
01-09-2005, 22:27
Yeah, Brooks' stuff is fun. I am partial to this one..http://brookskubik.com/tip7.html

FWIW, there is a lot of stuff by Brooks in "Old School Strength Training" forum's section called "Training Notebook".

I know what you mean about squat racks being safer. I should add to my home gym wish-list Pillars of Power.

Think Louie has any interesting ideas for gripper training?

I bought some 1.25 lb plates from BW a while ago, when I thought HIT actually might be a thing for me. Once e-mailed him about making some Pillars of Power for me. He said he'd do it, but he didn't have a design for it. Not really sure what that meant.

Jack

sheglocker
01-10-2005, 21:27
Dumbbells, a swiss ball (doubles as a bench), jump rope, and soon to add a treadmill. I still find that good old push/pull-ups and body weight squats will take care of almost everything I need when a gym can't be accessed. I jumped rope under my carport through the hurricanes!

RWBlue
01-10-2005, 21:35
Bicycle
Bicycle stand
TV
VCR
Spinerval video

JMag
01-10-2005, 21:42
Free weights and the top-of-the-line Total Gym is all I have at home. It works just fine.

BrokenArrow
01-11-2005, 13:10
A big tree and an attitude! ;)

There is a lot of affordable, high quality home equipment available now, but the minimum you need to get and keep in shape is pretty minimal. ;b

Wmarden
01-12-2005, 08:47
You can make or buy a reverse hyper attachment for your power rack.

ateamer
01-12-2005, 15:42
I made a reverse hyper using a chain as the swingarm (I think it was your site that had the design?), but it was too much of a pain to load with 250+ pounds, so I abandoned it. One of my training partners just got a MIG welder, so we are going to play with it and build a rackable reverse hyper. I figure maybe $100 worth of materials and an afternoon will be the total cost.

Wmarden
01-12-2005, 22:24
It'd be fairly easy to just build a swing arm and pivot then attach it to the bench top you already have. Should only cost maybe 10 to 20 dollars.

I load mine with a 100 pound plate to start off. When I went to a gym that had a reverse hyper I was up to 190 or more, but that was 4 years back. At home I have never really pushed it. And I am just getting back into lifting.