Question about Jump/Thumb drives [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jump/Thumb drives

CranialCrusader
01-10-2005, 09:50
I have a digital camera (Fuji 6900z) with only 128 MB of memory for storage. So when I am going to be taking a lot of pictures (over 100) I take my laptop with me and download them whenever I need to.

I did this on my trip to Poland, but I also brought a CD-R disc and burned the files to there as well, so I had a backup in case my HD failed or laptop got stolen.

Basically, I don't trust having pictures stored to only ONE device at any given time (Hard drive, camera memory, CD-R, etc.) I like to have at least 2. Which is why simply buying a larger camera memory card isn't good enough for me.

Can I hook one of those jump drives directly to my camera and download the pictures? Then I could just buy 2 jump drives and have my "backup" device in case one fails in a much smaller package.

Thanks,
CranialCrusader

HighVelocity
01-10-2005, 09:56
The answer is no. There is no camera that I know of that has software to manage file transfers built into it.

Why wouldn't you just carry a second mem card that fit's your camera?
There are adapters available that you could stick your mem card into that have a usb connector on them so basically it's "like" a jump/thumb drive except that the flash memory is your card.

fastvfr
01-10-2005, 10:29
But you could use the USB drives as small, more-portable external HDD's for redundant storage. Just fill them from the laptop...

Not a bad idea at all.

CranialCrusader
01-10-2005, 12:24
Originally posted by HighVelocity
The answer is no. There is no camera that I know of that has software to manage file transfers built into it.

Why wouldn't you just carry a second mem card that fit's your camera?

Because my photos are then only on ONE storage medium, the camera memory card. I really like to be able to have them copied to two ASAP. The only time I am (semi)-comfortable with pictures being on one memory device is while I'm actually taking photos.

All my photos (over 2,500 since I bought the camera) are stored on 3 separate hard drives on two different machines, local CD-R backup, AND an off site backup on CD-R.

CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader
01-10-2005, 12:27
Originally posted by fastvfr
But you could use the USB drives as small, more-portable external HDD's for redundant storage. Just fill them from the laptop...

Not a bad idea at all.

Basically, it's the same thing as I was doing with my CD-R drive on my laptop during my trip to Poland. I was hoping I could connect directly to my camera with a USB drive, thus eliminating need for a laptop.

Thanks,
CranialCrusader

fastvfr
01-10-2005, 15:09
Sure, I see. But as HV said, there are no cameras available that are capable of that, AFAIK.

I guess your onply options are to lug that laptop around...or go back to using film >shudder<!

Good luck, guy.

bobby_w
01-10-2005, 18:36
I have one of these with an 80gb drive and use it for just what you are talking about. Took it to the Yucatan in December and transfered about 1100 pictures to it.

http://www.vosonic.com/index.php

It supports:
Compactflash Card type I / type II (CF)
IBM Microdrive
Smartmedia Card (SM)
Memory Stick (MS)
Memory Stick Pro (MS Pro)
Secure Digital (SD)
MultiMediaCard (MMC

http://www.xs-drive.com/pics/Proxs.jpg

MB-G26
01-11-2005, 00:35
Being a BIG believer in "redundancy" - almost a fault (amoung my many), your desire to 'double-backup' is admirable :)
Made me all warm and fuzzy there for a minute ;)
m

prism
01-11-2005, 03:11
you might be able to burn the CDs in an internet cafe, so you could leave the laptop at home. In 2003 in Germany, the local internet cafe dude would connect my camera (usb) to his machine and burn a CD of pics for me.

more camera memory cards could mean hitting the internet cafe when it's more convenient, better for vacationing.

with a CD of pics and an internet cafe, you could upload them to some webspace for storage. for more redundancy, you could have two separate webspace accounts (different companies), or even use google mail (1 gig) or yahoo mail (their 2 gig plan) for storage.

MLM
01-11-2005, 04:53
Originally posted by bobby_w
I have one of these with an 80gb drive and use it for just what you are talking about. Took it to the Yucatan in December and transfered about 1100 pictures to it.

http://www.vosonic.com/index.php

It supports:
Compactflash Card type I / type II (CF)
IBM Microdrive
Smartmedia Card (SM)
Memory Stick (MS)
Memory Stick Pro (MS Pro)
Secure Digital (SD)
MultiMediaCard (MMC

http://www.xs-drive.com/pics/Proxs.jpg Looks like a tricorder from Star Trek.
Beam me up Scotty (trivia; Kirk never said this).