Which is better, DSL or Cable and why? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which is better, DSL or Cable and why?

TED
01-10-2005, 10:01
I live in Anchorage and am currently using DSL via ACS (phone co.) and am happy with it (but wouldn't know the difference). We are thinking of switching to GCI (local cable/phone co.) and cable modem because they are offering a pcakage deal, cable TV and modem, etc.

Anyways, what are the pro's con's of DSL vs. cable?

TED

Washington,D.C.
01-10-2005, 10:23
I have DSL from the phone company.Don't have cable TV but with DSL through the phone company I have no contract either.I can cancel anytime without penalty.Some places cable is suppose to be a bit faster but that depends on the websites too.I find DSL plenty fast enough.Normally without cable TV or when cancelling cable TV for satelite TV etc,cable internet can be very expensive.It seems the price of cable goes up every year.My DSL had actually gotten cheaper.Check with people in your area what quality service they are getting from both DSL and cable.

fastvfr
01-10-2005, 10:27
Both CAN be good.

If high speeds are a concern, know that no matter what numbers the cable provider gives an an average bandwidth, that can change in a hurry for the worse if lots of your neighbors sign up, since you all will share a pipe. Meaning the amount available to each PC diminishes as more people are using it.

I'd just stay with your telco's DSL until you get word that cable has a better price/guaranteed minimum speed/deal than what you have now.

It probably won't make too much difference to your PC. Talk to the cable folks and see what promises they make. If they sound too good to be true, well...;Q

Good luck.

Skyhook
01-10-2005, 10:28
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
I have DSL from the phone company.Don't have cable TV but with DSL through the phone company I have no contract either.I can cancel anytime without penalty.Some places cable is suppose to be a bit faster but that depends on the websites too.I find DSL plenty fast enough.Normally without cable TV or when cancelling cable TV for satelite TV etc,cable internet can be very expensive.It seems the price of cable goes up every year.My DSL had actually gotten cheaper.Check with people in your area what quality service they are getting from both DSL and cable.

So, Washington,DC, how fast is that DSL? I am tired of my 35- 45Kbps dial-up. Maybe I should call the phone rep?

Washington,D.C.
01-10-2005, 10:32
I pay $29/month and get 750 kb/s.It's much faster than dial up.When I first got DSL I had a slightly slower connection,it was new here.I paid $39/month plus taxes back then.I got it mostly to free the house phone and figured it was a better deal getting broad band instead of another phone line.

Washington,D.C.
01-10-2005, 10:37
The phone company has package deals too.All the phone services,call waiting,voice mail,caller ID,unlimited long distance etc.Phone and DSL for less than $100/month including taxes.

Skyhook
01-10-2005, 11:04
Thanks. Looking into it today.:cool:

antipop
01-10-2005, 11:44
personally i prefer dsl. ted, gci rarely has good tech support or even adequate customer service. their package of 4megabit/384k sounds good, but unless you are visiting websites that can send at that 4 megabit speed, its overkill. dsl will eventually have comparable speeds, but it will be both up/down, not fast download, slower uploads. all they are waiting on is for the feds to figure out the tariffs on it. course, they've been waiting for that to happen for several years now and the technology keeps getting bumped up while they wait.

it was just 6 years ago that IDSL was the latest greatest with 144kb speeds.

Stephen
01-10-2005, 11:50
Another DSL fan here. Although I have never had cable Internet - most of my in-laws have and here were their chief complaints:

They live in snow-infested W NY State... when the weather is crappy and everyone is at home - the speeds drop dramatically (pipe effect).

The cable in that area is kind of spotty and goes out from time to time.

When was the last time you lost phone service?

From what I understand - DSL is not effected by how many of your neighbors are on and downloading mega-files.

I have Earthlink DSL (aka Covad) and my wife has AT&T and we are happy with both services.

fastvfr
01-10-2005, 15:11
Originally posted by Stephen
Another DSL fan here.

I have Earthlink DSL (aka Covad) and my wife has AT&T and we are happy with both services.

Stephen, are you saying that you have TWO broadband connections at your residence?!?

Stephen
01-10-2005, 17:18
Originally posted by fastvfr
Stephen, are you saying that you have TWO broadband connections at your residence?!?

Yep. My wife has a virtual office here (she works out of NYC and lives here in Dallas) and we have a home DSL line for our personal use and for our 2 home-based businesses.

antipop
01-10-2005, 17:27
as a side note, at least up here, there will occasionally be DSL outages but the phones will still be working.

we were encountering at least 1 outage every month, sometimes 2 or 3 for as much as 3 hours.

the one complaint i have up here is that ACS is not really equipped to handle incoming phone calls for tech support. i'll wait on hold for 40 minutes before getting an actual living breathing person on the other end.

all for them to say 'no we dont know whats wrong, but we'll get it fixed whenever'.

Jlarue
01-10-2005, 21:19
I have ADSL at my house through a provider other than the phone company. Although it is more expensive than the phone company I have a higher quality of service and spped as well as a static IP address. You might look into other providers rather than the phone company for DSL service. PM me and I will be happy to give oyu the name of my provider.

Arc Angel
01-10-2005, 22:43
:) Just spent the past three days iced-in during a terrific storm. We permanently lost our broadband cable connection for the entire 3 days along with numerous intermittent power outages that lasted for several hours at a time - over and over again! In order to operate our computers we had to switch to a DSL phone line that we keep for backup during these emergencies.

What did I learn? Well, DSL doesn't handle e-mail jargon as well as broadband; (Split addresses, cc's, and whatever) and it is infinitely slower to load everything - especially photos and forget about most video! The big advantage I see to DSL is that the phone lines will, often, still be there when the cable is completely kaput!

Depending on your provider(s) you may, or may not, have to deal with contracts on one or the other services. We had to accept easy to cancel contracts on both services. It's the initial fees that can get you; but many plans will offer specials in order to get you started. Broadband is, of course, more expensive; but after 3 to 6 months the initial/combined costs, pretty much, even out. :cool:

TED
01-11-2005, 06:15
Personally, I do not watch television and I hate GCI. But, the lady wants her cable back. And that is pretty much that at this point.

TED

Wicked96SS
01-11-2005, 06:20
Here where I live, the Cable is much faster. I have both DSL (1.5 / 786) and cable. The reason I have DSL is because I was unable to get a static IP through the cable company, and was running a server at the time. Now that the server is hosted remotely, the DSL is going bye bye...

No real complaints with the DSL, but in my case, the cable ISP is noticably faster downloading... uploading is a bit slower, although they claim the same speed, but, as mentioned before, we are on a hub... but it really isn't very noticable unless I am trying to upload 600 MB worth of crap to the server.

Either way, for me, I stuck with cable for that reason.

RaiderRodney
01-11-2005, 06:26
Not sure if you have this option in your area (but I am in the boonies and do) but I have a local wireless internet service. It gets about 1500 kb down and 500 kb up with pings under 100 anywhere in the US. It runs me around $40 a month. I was going to go with cable, but they had to have me signed up as a cable subscriber too and I love my satelite too much :)

troyboy30
01-11-2005, 07:52
I'm pretty happy with my 5mbps cable. Keep an eye out for sprints itroduction of an all fiber optic internet access with speeds ranging from 10mbps to something like 30mbps and higher.

Fireglock
01-11-2005, 08:39
My experiences with DSL (dead slow line) are not good. They never got closer than 560kbs to their advertised 750. I frequently had speeds in the area of 80kbs, not much better than what I got for dial up and it lasted for days. Tech support from Verizon was nonexistent.

I switched to Time Warner/Brighthouse cable with my existing ISP (I didn't drop my dial up while trying Verizon) and I don't need tech support. The connection is always intact and I've never had the speed slower than 1mbs. If I would have gotten the service some others here experience with DSL, I would have never found out how good the cable service was.

Wulfenite
01-11-2005, 09:06
I've got COVAD DSL and get 237 down 66 up; $40/month. Its good enough for most surfing but the up load is a little slow for online gaming. The guys on really fast connections hose you cause it takes so long for your comands to get to the server.

Thinking about switching to SBC to save 15/month.

We just got a new cable service in our area and they have promised that they will do broadband but so did the last outfid.

Question: If I switch from COVAD to SBC will the connection speed say the same?

Stephen
01-11-2005, 10:47
Originally posted by troyboy30
Keep an eye out for sprints itroduction of an all fiber optic internet access with speeds ranging from 10mbps to something like 30mbps and higher.

Do you have a link to this?

I was on Sprint's ION service when it first came out - it was pretty cool... short lived but cool.

Glk23
01-11-2005, 19:12
Here in Alabama I have cable through a package deal, for 100.00 a month I have full package cable (all movie channels plus payperview, DVR box and cable modem. Most cable co's are offering their DVR (tivo) boxes now. I have this contract for 1 year. It will go up after a year but only 10 bucks. The connection is fast. I run mine through a router for wireless with my notebook. I have had DSL and have nothing against it, I just like having the one bill for all. You could also have one bill if it was on your phone bill. Check to see if your cable co. has any other offers maybe the DVR. I can record up to 40 hours of movies and shows with this thing and it has been great.

bobby_w
01-11-2005, 20:14
I had SBC DSL when it was the only game in town. The problems I had were because the Telco could not account for 1000' over-run to the CO. They ended up having to tune it down to half speed to get it to work. I suffered with this for 2 years until TimeWarner got there act together and offered us RoadRunner. 4 times the speed and I think it has been down 2 times in 2 years.

The only problem I have with RR is I can only get the one IP address. I wish I could have more than one server on it, but I am living with it via Dynamic DNS.