Healthy lunch or not. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Healthy lunch or not.

RWBlue
01-10-2005, 12:40
Lunch today was a Chicken Fajita Chipotle.
In the last couple years I had been eating these things on a regular basis, because I thought they were low cal and healthy. I was WRONG!

I looked up the information on the internet to added up the components and this is what I came up with.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 924
Calories from Fat 315

I could have had a Big Mac and large regular soda and been eating better.

Anyone have any other items that they believed were healthy that really are not healthy?

runnergirl
01-11-2005, 13:42
Does that calculation include sour cream and cheese?

If you get the fajita bowl, you cut at least 300 cals for the tortilla, and w/o cheese or sour cream, it's not too bad. Last time I calculated up a chipotle run I think that added up to about 450, with lots of protien, and about 10 grams of fat. Plus it's more fiber and vitamins than a big mac.

Other things I used to think were good...
yoplait yogurt (as much sugar as a candy bar)
quaker granola bars (ditto)
chicken breast sand. at fast food places (less fat but 2 days of sodium)

RWBlue
01-12-2005, 14:43
I was wrong my lunch was 1039 cals. Uggg.

See attachment

geminicricket
01-18-2005, 21:17
RWBlue, if you like your lunch, let that be your only meal each day.

Good night, 900 calories is more than my calorie budget and on cardio days I burn nearly 700 in one hour. I'm losing weight. 1.6 from Friday to Monday, with an average of about 1400 kcals intake Saturday and Sunday. From Monday to this Tuesday it was 1.8 with a little less than 900 kcals intake.

If I have more than 3 fill-er-up meals in a week, I do not lose weight. If I have more than 5 such meals in a week, I gain.

Anyway, you're new at this so you're still learning. Learn to accurately estimate portions and calories per serving. Just about any tasty thing that isn't pure fat or pure sugar will run you close to 400 calories per cup. If you have to go out for lunch, get the salad and do not eat any salad dressing unless it's specifically described as a low-fat dressing such as viniagrette.

When you eventually learn to eat healthy items in sensible portions, it will take a few days for your appetite to adjust to the new system. You will feel hungry, maybe even desperate. Win the mental fight first, and then win the waist fight.

On the upside, you will lose about 1 lb per week if you intake exactly 2000 kcals per day. Have another burrito for supper!

My avg weight loss this month is 3.6 lb per week, which makes sense since my avg intake is a little under 1100 cals per day.

Back to my "gordo a gordo" advice,

Get a light breakfast. Wheaties with whole milk ain't it. My light breakfast is 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of jam spread on each. Have a light snack in the middle of the morning, something no more than 100 calories. An apple, a carrot, even half a package of PB&Crackers from the vending machine is light enough. Have a light lunch, but don't freak out. A burger, no fries and a 0 cal drink, gives you about 900 calories, but just about anything else is preferable. Have another light snack 2-3 hours after lunch, and arrive home in the evening having loaded up on about 1500 calories. Lots of sensible meals can fit inside 500 calories, and don't have any more snacks after your evening meal. Stick with a plan like this every day, and lose a pound each week.

OR, you can take advice such as testosterone gives and lose more weight even faster and feel better about it. I don't do that because I'm a cheapskate. My 900 cal/day costs me less than $6/week.

The rest of my eating is this:

9:00pm, one small apple.
12:00 pm, one medium banana + a package of 2 Nature Valley granola bars.
3:00 pm, one more apple.
whenever I get home, I have a meal of no more than 400 calories. My basic evening meal is nothing more than a cup of black-eyed peas. If my wife cooks something, I can have her something. If she doesn't my peas are waiting in the fridge.

While I've been losing weight, I've noticed that it's been easy to cut out some bad habits. I no longer eat a 3 lb bag of tortilla chips each week. I no longer have a big bowl of ice cream at least once each week. I no longer start my Saturday with a big bowl of rice served with margarine, sugar, and milk. I don't eat a bag of cookies each week, or snarf something while I'm the computer. I don't even cook rice for my Sunday meal anymore, which is something I'd been doing for several years. I've discovered that if I maintain my <900 calorie intake plan for Saturday, I can have 2 fill-er-up meals on Sunday and still lose weight from Friday to Monday. How cool is that? This past Sunday, breakfast was a big plate of scrambled eggs, biscuits with butter and jam, and bacon. Lunch was a big plate full of roast beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions. A week ago, breakfast was 3 donuts. I've lost weight every weekend of the past 4, and we've had roast beef every Sunday. For years before that I cooked chicken and rice on Sundays, and thought I was doing good to add a green vegetable like broccoli or brussels sprouts.

Today a lady who formerly worked at the health club called me to let me know where she's working now, and when I told her that I'd lost 20 pounds in the last month, she called what I'm doing "portion control". She's about 5'6" and can't weigh more than 110 lb, so she knows what she's talking about.

I'm going on about it, but just to be clear. Win the mental war. The rest is easy.

Glock13
01-23-2005, 15:14
Probably not as good as Chipotle or Qdoba, but if you want Mexican food with low fat, try Taco Bell's Chicken Fiesta Burrito. I think it has about 9 grams of fat.

gunguru1
02-06-2005, 08:09
I used to think Ramen noodles were healthy until I read the nutrition label. 800 grams of sodium! Whew!

ateamer
02-06-2005, 14:40
Originally posted by RWBlue
I was wrong my lunch was 1039 cals.
Where was that from? I need to be eating those.

geminicricket
02-06-2005, 14:56
I've not been to the gym in 6 days.
I've not been on my low calorie diet in a couple of weeks.

Something about working 16, 18, and 30 hour days can do that to a body.

runnergirl
02-06-2005, 15:54
geminicricket-

Is your diet physician supervised? Anything below 1500 for a male is considered a very low calorie diet (vlcd) and MUST be superivised. There are several terrifying conditions, including twisted intenstines, that can result from attempting such a diet without and MD's help. Even if this does not happen, you can slow your metabolism to a point that will make future weight loss very difficult, and future weight gain very easy. (see any recovering anorexic for details on that)

Furthermore, a sizable breakfast (at least 400 calories) starts your metabolism for the day and helps prevent being hungry the rest of the day. Also, two pieces of toast does not have enough protien or fat to send satiety signals to the brain. Add some natural peanut butter to the toast and I won't argue.

Also, a diet plan that includes binge eating on the weekend is not helpful in the long term. Some people benefit from an "off day" once a week, but an "off day" is a lot different from the binge you are describing where offending foods are consumed in one sitting. If one cannot learn to eat enjoy healthy foods, and eat the bad ones in moderation, I see very little hope for long term weight loss. I agree that for someone with a truely bad diet there may be some deprevation in the begining, but it need not be as difficult as you are making it out to be.

I am a marathoner transitioning to triathalons this season, and regularly have 18 hour days (1.5 to 3 of which are excercise). I do not have a problem eating right on these days , it's a matter of packing the right items the night before, and knowing that there are quick healthy things waiting for me at home.

I would strongly encourage you to get some professional help-a doctor or nutritionist, or do some reading from objective sources about how to loose weight healthily. If you want to do it your way, fine, but I don't want anyone else who comes to these boards following your advice without thinking long and hard about the problems with it.

tag
02-07-2005, 08:26
Agreed. Gemini- unless you are on a diet supervised by a doctor, you are taking in WAY TOO FEW calories to be healthy. At minimum, you should be eating 1,500-1,800 calories per day. Because you are taking in too few calories, your body is going into starvation mode. You will find your weight loss will slow or stall, plus it will be very easy to gain weight.

Even when I am in a cutting phase, I take in at least 1,500 calories per day, and I only do that for 2 weeks at a time, maximum. My average caloric intake is 2,200 per day.