Setting up Wi-Fi security cam's in business? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Wi-Fi security cam's in business?

ToyotaMan
01-10-2005, 14:20
Anyone have any input on the best way that a small business could set up some security camera's. I'd prefer wireless cameras as then I wouldn't have to run any network cables. What's needed in the way of a computer processor speed and harddrive size? How to secure the cameras?

If I had an aging notebook with a 233 processor and 4 gig harddrive, could I hook up an external harddrive to it and let it store the video?

Could I set up a good system of maybe 5 to 10 cameras for under a thousand if I don't have to buy a new computer to store the information?

Is a specialty software needed to handle all this?

fastvfr
01-10-2005, 15:25
First, I'd never consider using a laptop for anything like this. A laptop in a business is, to me, like a handgun for home defense.

Its only real purpose is to cover you until you can get to a REAL tool.

Be that as it may, yes, it's possible but you'll have lots of fun with the power saving features of the laptop, plus the possibility that it could overheat and fry, or worse.

Like burning the place to the ground.

Personally, I can build a system for under $350 that will cover any Linux or even small server needs. AMD procs are the way to go with single-use machines.

You could set up a dozen cameras AND the PC for under a thou if you do it right and get the cams all at once on a package deal...

And yes, you'll need the cam software that lets you set the interval, res, ect.

You will have to secure that PC away from the workgroup since anyone wardriving will be able to see - and access - all of your cams, no matter what you do. You don't want to leave that sort of gaping back door open.

But if you do that, you can't have real-time access to the feeds...so a VPN or a locked-down router authenticating on a few chosen MAC addies are likely the best idea if you can set up a separate connection away from any server clients on their network.

And it really depends on how many cams you install; you'll need to figure that number X the amount of data the chosen resolution takes up X how often the pics from the cams will be sent to the PC X with how long they are to be kept.

As you can see, you may need a couple of 200GB drives to do the job.

And if you go with too low of a res or a too-long interval, then their effectiveness can be compromised.

My guess is you need to compare styles and prices before deciding which model is for you. This ought to help you set up the cam server, though.

Good luck!

Sinister Angel
01-10-2005, 16:02
www.cu1.com

Take a look and see if someting fits need/price

Disclaimer: Yes, my dad does own it.

ToyotaMan
01-12-2005, 15:03
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Right now, I'm struggling with making a decision about cameras. I haven't yet found sort of a one-stop-shop with enough information to help me organize what I'll need.

I could probably dig up a desktop, using the advice that it would be better suited to handling the full-time load. And hooking up an external harddrive or two I think is doable.

Dealing with software, issues relating to low light visibility, storage, mounting, cost, clarity, and finding products that will work well out of the box, and within the distance of a wireless routher are my latest concerns.

ForsakenOne
01-12-2005, 16:29
Originally posted by ToyotaMan
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Right now, I'm struggling with making a decision about cameras. I haven't yet found sort of a one-stop-shop with enough information to help me organize what I'll need.

I could probably dig up a desktop, using the advice that it would be better suited to handling the full-time load. And hooking up an external harddrive or two I think is doable.

Dealing with software, issues relating to low light visibility, storage, mounting, cost, clarity, and finding products that will work well out of the box, and within the distance of a wireless routher are my latest concerns.

Sounds like you should discuss your need with a security company get a recommendation from them then hit the net and save some $ buying it your self ;)