Shin Splints [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints

M249SAW
01-11-2005, 12:00
Hey all,

I am posting here to see what I can do to start getting back in shape.

I first started getting bad shin splints when I was getting in shape to go the Navy Basic Training in Great Mistakes, Ill.

Well Im out now and have been for a few years and I find myself in not the best shape. 6'1" 243lbs.

I would like to start running again but every time I try my shin splints act up again. I stretch and warm up but it doesnt seem to help.

Should I go to a New Balance store to have them set me up with the correct shoe? My feet pronate and used to be pidgeon toed but I wore orthodics as a kid.

Sorry for the ramble but I just wanted to get all the info out there.

Thanks
Kyle

USMC76
01-11-2005, 12:58
One solution for shin splints that I have found successful is to do a simple exercise.

1. Sit on a table or someplace high enough that your feet dangle.
2. Place a weight (maybe five pounds to start) over the toe area of your foot.
3. Flex your foot to lift the weight and hold for a count of ten or so.
4. Repeat ten times for each foot.

IIRC, this strengthens the muscle that opposes the problem that causes shin splints.

Stretching is also highly recommended.

You might want to check out:www.runnersworld.com (http://www.runnersworld.com) and search for shin splints--there is a good article there.

Good Luck

M249SAW
01-11-2005, 13:22
Good article and tips with the weights.

Thanks;f

runnergirl
01-11-2005, 13:51
Find a independant running store with a variety of brands, and go on a week day when they aren't too busy. New Balence stores are hit or miss in my experience, sometimes their employees are clueless about running.

Explain your problems to the running store guy, he/she will prolly watch you run, look at the wear pattern on your shoe, etc and reccommend a few different possible shoes.

The heavier you are, the more frequently you need new shoes. One of my friends husbands is fairly big, and during marathon training he goes through a pair every three weeks.

Custom orthodics run almost $200 a pair, and aren't always covered by insurance, but they are worth it IMO. I have a limb length difference and overpronate, without mine, I couldn't run 20 miles a week, much less 50.

I second the advice to check out the runners world website, the forums over there are also really helpful. Good Luck!

RWBlue
01-12-2005, 14:54
Me thinks you need to see a Podiatrist

I have flat feet.
I have orthotics.
I have new ballance shoes.

geminicricket
01-18-2005, 21:46
The last time I tried running to get into shape, about 18 years ago, I got shin splints bad when I was half a mile away from the gym.

I'll put off running again until I lose the excess weight by other means. It's weight I want to lose, not knees.