New system parts help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New system parts help

ghostbear
01-12-2005, 08:45
Hi Gang,
I'm new so I'll take all the help I can get. What I am looking for is a low cost but known to be reliable system, perhaps something someone here has built. This will be my first DIY system.
I'm looking to learn how to find the best deals, i.e.. mobo cpu combo or which ever way is best to buy. From what little I have found on my own looks like a AMD2900 with some good mobo may be the best bang for the buck, if not please advise. I have no idea what mobo is the best for the money; it does not need to be a brand name if known to be good. No OC and no games, I would like a mobo with good onboard video and sound.
Please help me out with suggestions on mobo, cpu, hdd amd memory to get me started.
Thanks, ghostbear

David_G17
01-12-2005, 08:51
http://newegg.com
^ best source for parts ever.

fastvfr
01-12-2005, 10:22
Originally posted by ghostbear
Hi Gang,
I'm new so I'll take all the help I can get. What I am looking for is a low cost but known to be reliable system, perhaps something someone here has built. This will be my first DIY system.
I'm looking to learn how to find the best deals, i.e.. mobo cpu combo or which ever way is best to buy. From what little I have found on my own looks like a AMD2900 with some good mobo may be the best bang for the buck, if not please advise. I have no idea what mobo is the best for the money; it does not need to be a brand name if known to be good. No OC and no games, I would like a mobo with good onboard video and sound.
Please help me out with suggestions on mobo, cpu, hdd amd memory to get me started.
Thanks, ghostbear

Okay, first off, there is NO SUCH THING as 'good onboard video', so if this machine will absolutely never, ever see any sort of game, then you could go with that.

A good start is www.pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) , as you can find MOBO combos there for low prices.

I recommend a lower-end Pentium 4 (NOT Celeron) and a board using the i865G chipset. That uses an Intel Extreme graphics solution and is about as cheap as you are going to get.

I suggest NEVER scrimping on the following: Power Supply, CPU and Motherboard.

Buy a cheap case, sure. Buy hinky drives, you bet. Even Value RAM can be gotten away with...but you just shoot yourself in the foot by trying to cheap out on the base of the platform!

Let me put it this way: a cheap PSU can destroy the entire machine, drives included, in a split-second. A bad motherboard can keep you chasing odd, ghostlike problems forever, and a slow CPU will frustrate you endlessly.

The goal is to avoid all of the above, and besides cases and drives are simple and cheap to upgrade. So make sure you get a trouble-free system from the get-go or you'll become one of those sad users who have horror stories to tell.

I recommend Asus brand motherboards and PNY DDR RAM for a non-OCed machine. You also can't go wrong with an Antec or Enermax PSU...they cost extra but they are a great value at twice the price, while a $30 PSU isn't even good for a doorstop.

Good luck!!