Phone Number Cross Reference [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Phone Number Cross Reference

Don At PC
01-12-2005, 09:45
Okay, I know this is not computer related but since this is the forum for "Tech Talk" I thought I might find some helpful info here.

I have recieved 5 phone calls in the past week from Ph# (602) 393-7351 and have found that it comes through a switch in Phoenix, AZ. Of the 5 calls I have recieved I have answered twice and found no-one wanted to talk. The other 3 times I let my answering machine take the call but they left no message. I used to be able to do a Google Search and a couple other reverse lookup sites and cross reference the numbers to names of people or companies but now that doesn't seem to work unless you want to pay $14.95 per call lookup.

My question is: Does anyone know a good way to check these numbers and see who they are comming from or are any of you from the Phoenix area and have a way of checking. This is annoying of course. I suspect it is an automated system just to verify active phone numbers for some BS Telemarketeer. I have registered with the National "Do Not Call List' for both my home and cell phones and the unwanted calls have been drastically fewer.

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments and again I apologise for being of Topic.

SomeGuyInAHat
01-12-2005, 10:07
Good news: http://www.att.com/directory/

Bad news: No listing for that number

fastvfr
01-12-2005, 10:11
Your suspicions are correct, they are telemarketers. Here's another gripe I saw while on a google search:

"Getting three calls from (602) 393-7351 number in the past three days. I called this number today and an automated female voice came on saying, "If you would like to be removed from our Do Not Call list, please leave your name and number after the beep." Of course I did not leave any information. This is my cell phone they are calling..I have no idea if this is some of telemarketing thing or some kind of scam. Either way, it's my minor irritant for the day. I know we shouldn't post numbers on the internet, but this number I felt people should see, just in case others have gotten the same number.
-Kristi"

So I guess you aren't alone.

Good luck with the bottom-feeders...

Don At PC
01-12-2005, 10:24
Thanks for the quick replies. If anyone has additional info please post. I also have found that by using "TelcoData.US" and NPA & Exchange that the number comes through Allegiance Telecom of Arizona Inc. and looks to be completely computer generated.

I understand folks need to make a living but too many fly-by-night crooks out there.

MB-G26
01-12-2005, 20:12
Wow.... I had the whole reply window filled up, and discovered AFTER trying to post that it was too long - back button brought me to an empty drafted reply :( Too long to do over.

Az laws on the matter:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/SearchResults.asp?SearchedFrom=%2FArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp&SearchPhrase=telephone+solicitation&Scope=%2Fars&x=32&y=11

AG's office:
http://www.ag.state.az.us/consumer/index.html
m

MB-G26
01-12-2005, 20:17
But here's the listing from the Phx phone book/white pages:
Allegiance Telecom
4129 East Van Buren Street
Phoenix, AZ 85008
(602) 629-3200

Check out the "highlights" links option in the ARS search results - and if the company doesn't qualify for an exception to the telemarketing regulations and prohibitions in/for Az - go get 'em! :soap:
m

Don At PC
01-13-2005, 13:00
MB-G26;

Thanks for the info. I researched the site and it falls fully into the illegal column. Therefore I have filed a complaint with the Arizona AG Office. Guess we will see if that helps. I had to run a quick errand down town this morning, was gone about an hour and when I got home there was another call from the same number with the same"No Message" results. Must be real bottom feeders.

Cinic
01-13-2005, 14:24
Allegiance isn't a telemarketer. They sell phone and internet lines to businesses. We use them in our office. They're probably not the people you should be going after, but they may lead you down the path to the correct people.

Don At PC
01-13-2005, 15:17
I am only after the people who are making the calls. I included the Allegiance info in my complaint as well as the phone number the calls are coming through. If Allegiance is only providing the phone/internet service then they should be more than happy to co-operate with the AG's office to clear the matter up. If they are not willing to co-operate then as far as I am concerned they are just as guilty as the folks who are generating the calls. As provider of the means they must accept some responsibility for assisting in correcting the wrong doing.

JCM298
01-13-2005, 17:35
Don At PC,

Thanks for contacting the AG. The more people that contact him, the easier it is to put these companies out of business.

The AZ AG's office does a good job of getting in the middle of things. They have an outstanding group of LEO's and lawyers who are involved in an Elder Abuse Task Force. They really go after
the crooks that target the elderly,

John