? on how to get rid of OS choice menu [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ? on how to get rid of OS choice menu

gee34
01-13-2005, 01:52
Having problems with Windows XP Pro and tried to install the old Windows XP Home (could not find the XP Pro disc). Halfway through, i found the XP Pro disc and decided to cancel the install of XP Home. Now i get a choice of OS menu at every startup instead of going straight to XP Pro. How do i get rid of the other choice (XP setup)? Thanks.

Toyman
01-13-2005, 07:32
Control Panel->System, Advanced Tab, 'Startup and Recovery' section, Settings button -> (Change time here, or click Edit Button)

Cryptoboy
01-13-2005, 08:54
Toyman, I think he wanted to get rid of the option altogether, no just minimize the time or the default boot up!

Just open up the boot.ini file and remove the line with the XP Home portion in it (will look something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect )

Make sure to uncheck the "Read Only" attribute before you open the file (change it back to read only after you are done editing it). Oh and it's located on the root C:

Almost forgot, it could be hidden, so make sure you have the "Hide protected operating system files" attribute unchecked under the Folder Options --> View tab.

gee34
01-13-2005, 10:07
Toyman & Cryptoboy, easy fix thanks to you guys. Worst case scenario, is it possible to install XP Home on the same drive replacing XP Pro? I know my desktop will change, will i lose other files? It is still going to be the same hard drive and i am not reformatting, so i should not lose any, right? Thanks again.

Cryptoboy
01-13-2005, 10:39
Will you lose files? No, not unless you reformat. Most of your programs will end up not working most likely though. You'd be better off just doing a clean install; it'll save you any hassles down the road. Just taking your important files and burn them to CD or a usb drive or something before you format and you'll be fine.

gee34
01-13-2005, 10:51
Thanks again. I guess i better backup my important files to a CD just in case.