NREMT question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NREMT question.

lomfs24
01-13-2005, 10:58
I am couple weeks into the EMT-B course. We will be finishing up around the end of Feb. and our NREMT exam will be probably sometime around the middle of March. Everyone I have talked to says "they are really hard" but don't offer much more info than that.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what is the easiest way to prepare for the test. One of our instructors said that there are online EMT-B practice tests. I haven't found any. Are there any out there that are free or do they all cost money?

Any suggestions? Simply, I am looking for the best way to prepare for the exam.

obxprnstar
01-13-2005, 11:39
In these books and courses that you can take online or buy to help with the test just remember one thing. The cheap/free ones may not be the best help in the world.

I had a buddy give me two books that each had 4 full tests in them, and they were similar to the types of questions I saw on my NREMT-P exam.

The books helped me get into the right state of mind/mindset for when I took the test.

N2DFire
01-13-2005, 13:01
I have actually answered this question so many times in FH.com I have lost count. But I guess that's a good thing because it means were getting new folks into the field.

This is a cut/paste job to one of my more recent replies.
See my reply to this thread where NREMT identified back in 02 that Airway was a trouble section for Basic Candidates (Last post)
http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35441

Then see here where in 04 they state that this is STILL a problem area and suspect that some EMT Courses are deficient in Airway.
http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61601

As for general study guides, I'm a big fan of the guide that NR puts out simply because the sample test comes from the same questions database as the real test. You get a great feel for HOW the NR asks questions as well as terminology (i.e. "open pnumothorax" vs. "Sucking Chest Wound")

Other than that - relax and get a good nights sleep before the test (and stop studying at least a day before the test).

Good luck on the test and feel free to post any questions you have here or e-mail me directly.

jlw_84
01-13-2005, 21:24
Pay attention in class, do the crappy workbook. Study, but not too much.

Remember, ABC's, but not before BSI. You'll do fine. Its not as bad as they make it sound.

DaleGribble
01-13-2005, 23:37
Here's the skinny.

Study in class, and methodically do your workbook, just like jlw_84 said. Bombard your instructor with all the questions you have because on test day the NR testers will look at you like you're a tard if you ask them anything.

Go to Barnes and Noble and look in there study guide section. They have a couple of really good books for studying, or just get the one from the NR, which I didn't know existed until N2DFire mentioned it.

Stay away from the free tests on the net, they suck, I know from experience.

Now, about the test. God as my witness I swear that what I am about to say is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

When I took the written test it was so easy! Some of my instructors classroom tests were harder than that test! Out of 150 questions there was only one question that I didn't actually know anything about and that was on epistaxis. Somehow I missed that conversation in class.

The rest of it was a cake walk. I knew when I handed it in that I passed it. I figured I made a high 90 but I actually made lower than that, so I obviously I didn't do as well as I thought, but I still did pretty good.

Our test was geared towards pregnancy, cpr and airway stuff. Over all it was a pretty well rounded test and we had questions on all kinds of things that we covered, but those three were the big areas! I was also told that the NR has several different tests, so your test may not cover those areas as much as my test did, so be prepared!

lomfs24
01-14-2005, 00:20
Thanks for the help so far. I stopped in at Borders Books this afternoon and saw a coule test prep books. I was kinda looking at the Brady book as that is what we are using in class.

Also, from what I understand, there are like a 1000 questions in the NREMT exam and they randomly pick the questions that will be used on your particular test. Is that correct?

Thanks N2Dfire, I will look over the threads that you posted. The problem, one of the problems, I am having is that this is all new to me. I until recently, didn't even have First Responder status. I still don't have the card but I have covered the material and will be getting the card or whatever soon. So I don't really know what to ask the instructors. It all seems to be sinking in but sometimes I feel a little lost while doing scenarios. I am hoping that most of that comes with a little practice. I have two close to two months yet before the big day but I don't think it's ever too early to start preping for it.

Thanks again and if anyone has anymore suggestions, I am all ears.

DepChief
01-14-2005, 07:05
Originally posted by lomfs24
... The problem, one of the problems, I am having is that this is all new to me. I until recently, didn't even have First Responder status. I still don't have the card but I have covered the material and will be getting the card or whatever soon. So I don't really know what to ask the instructors. It all seems to be sinking in but sometimes I feel a little lost while doing scenarios. I am hoping that most of that comes with a little practice...

1) It was new to everyone at some point and time, so don't worry.
2) Ask whatever questions you need to. Whenever somthing comes up in class that you are not sure about, don't understand, etc, ask a question. As someone who is an occasional instructor (I do ACLS and PALS every 4 months and fill in for EMT, EMT-I, and EMT-P class if the primary instructor gets sick, has somthing come up) I can tell you that sometimes the instructor might skip over somthing that is the key to understanding the whole lesson. Remember, you are in there to learn, and they are in there to teach.
3) It will come with practice. Hey, that's why docs do rotations as med students and interns. If you could nail it right away, as soon as they graduated from med school they would be out there running their own practice. So be patient and PRACTICE!

Ohh yeah, and good luck.

obxprnstar
01-14-2005, 07:08
The above is supposed to be me, but I forgot to log DepChief out. We share a computer @ work.

My bad!

ARFFormula
01-14-2005, 17:10
It's been a few years since I took the NREMT-B test, but from what I can rememeber, airway management is always the correct answer.

Other than that, STUDY. And don't read into the answers...because they might be the simplest question...but it can kinda trick you into picking the wrong answer. I ended up getting an 86 on it...which susprised me because I didnt think I did all that well.

TerraMedicX
01-14-2005, 23:02
I've actually just covered a bit of this with two FF who failed their NR test.
From what I've seen/heard Airway, pediatrics and OB are the big areas that people have difficulty on in the test. In my opinion the only really hard part about the exam is how the questions are worded. They turn out sounding pretty wierd which can confuse people. So just read the questions carefully.
As far as studying, the biggest problem is that National Registry makes a LOT of money off of their tests...that's basicly all they have. So they're very protective of their question pool. I have actually talked to instructors who have had lawsuits filed against them because their test question sounded too much like one from the National Registry pool! So the only legal and safe way to get a good grasp on what the questions are really like is to buy the study guide directly from NR. Not a huge problem, they arn't that expensive. Other then that, just study everything you have...your instructor should be able to look at your tests and tell you what areas you're weak in, that's always a good place to start studying!

Good luck!
Nate.

obxprnstar
01-15-2005, 09:06
I worked with a medic that refused to take the registry test because he felt NR was nothing more than a money making scheme.

:soap:
I tell you what, I got charged a test site fee of 150 per person for my wife and I when we went somewhere in VA to take our test, and the lady gave us a break since it was the two of us. It should have been 200 a piece since we were "out of area." I have no idea what they charge people who are "in area."

So after droping 100 bucks for she and I to register w/ nremt, 300 bucks as a test site fee, 120 bucks for a hotel for two nights, plus gas/tolls/etc you can begin to see where I am not very pro NR. Yes I have my registry, and it was a PITA to get it, and I will never let it lapse, but I think all of the money it costs is BS.

I saw in JEMS where NR is going to begin doing it's tests on a computer starting in 06 or 07, but that test fees were going to go up. Great, that is exactly what they need.

Ok, sorry for the rant.

freefall471
01-15-2005, 19:57
Just took it this last fall and did fine. Better read that text book and do the workbook too. My class had quizes and tests daily which helped a lot. Stay focused and you will do fine! :)

Alpha752
01-16-2005, 16:32
Originally posted by obxprnstar
I worked with a medic that refused to take the registry test because he felt NR was nothing more than a money making scheme.

:soap:
I tell you what, I got charged a test site fee of 150 per person for my wife and I when we went somewhere in VA to take our test, and the lady gave us a break since it was the two of us. It should have been 200 a piece since we were "out of area." I have no idea what they charge people who are "in area."

So after droping 100 bucks for she and I to register w/ nremt, 300 bucks as a test site fee, 120 bucks for a hotel for two nights, plus gas/tolls/etc you can begin to see where I am not very pro NR. Yes I have my registry, and it was a PITA to get it, and I will never let it lapse, but I think all of the money it costs is BS.

I saw in JEMS where NR is going to begin doing it's tests on a computer starting in 06 or 07, but that test fees were going to go up. Great, that is exactly what they need.

Ok, sorry for the rant.

That sucks, my NREMT-B test was $50, and held at my school.

G21FAN
01-16-2005, 16:46
I agree with that medic, The Registry is nothing more than a scam with tests designed to fail you and pay them again. That said, the lowest I made on Basic, Intermediate, and Paramedic Registry was a 98 on the Intermediate test. In Alabama, you are required to take Registry instead of the State test, but not required to keep it. Go figure.:soap:

obxprnstar
01-16-2005, 19:15
I think N2D could anwer this better than I, but I do know that in VA you take the NREMT-P test and are given your va medic if you pass the test. You do not have to keep your NR once you have your VA state. Also the VA medic is good for 3 years, NR is two. Kind of bizzare to me. I think WV is also a registry only state.

I took my NC state medic test about five and a half years ago. The class cost me a whoping 200 bucks, and that was texts, lab, ACLS, PALS, and BTLS. Part of the ACLS, PALS, BTLS was paid for by my EMS system who provides us with free classes.

The second most expensive part of my test was the 20 bucks in food, 40 bucks for a dive of a hotel room, and 20 bucks for gas. I took my NC medic test about six hours from where I live.

Ok, so here is the plus side. You get your NREMT. Instead of being on par with emt's across your state, you are now on par with emt's around the country.

N2DFire
01-17-2005, 11:40
I think N2D could anwer this better than I, but I do know that in VA you take the NREMT-P test and are given your va medic if you pass the test. You do not have to keep your NR once you have your VA state. Also the VA medic is good for 3 years, NR is two.

Correct you are.

Kind of bizzare to me.

Correct again. I still haven't gotten any reasoning behind this practice. IMHO if NR is good enough to get certified then it should be good enough to stay certified so why maintain dual systems ? More so since the VA Con-Ed system (topic & amount) is exactly the same as NR (even went through a big Re-Vamp early last year to transfer all currently earned Con-Ed to the new NR topic areas).

All I do is maintain my NR and just submit a recert form to state at the same time.

AFAIK - the state is doing the same thing with the EMT-I

lakota222
01-21-2005, 09:53
:soap: Another National Registry hater here. I let my EMT-P Registry expire 8 years ago, because Ohio does not require it for renewal, and I thought the 50 bucks or whatever it is they charge to renew is ridiculous, and besides I will never leave Ohio!;P Fast foward a few years, my wife and I CANNOT WAIT TO GET OUT OF OHIO!:steamed: I call up those raqueteers at the NREMT to see how to regain my status. Oh give some money to this person give some to that person, and while you are at it give some to the guy around the corner too, then we will let you take our ridiculous test again. Between taking EMT-P refreshers, paying site fees and paying the NREMT to take the test, I should come in at around 400 bucks for the passport out of Ohio.

At any rate:

Dont second guess your self on your answers-your first impression is usually the right one.

Dont let it expire once you have it!

obxprnstar
01-21-2005, 16:22
Yeah, luckily my local ALS refresher class is built on the NREMT paramedic refresher level, since it had been more than two years since I had finished medic class.

I tell you what, if I had to lay down some cash so I could sit for the test... I would have been livid.

My wife has to re-take the writtien test and one skill station, so that will be a minnimum of $100, plus travel, perhaps lodging, and meals.

N2DFire
01-22-2005, 21:54
I'm still curious about all these fees everyone is talking about. When I took my CT (VA thing) to Paramedic Bridge class. The cost of the class was $1000 and the application fee for NR was something like $25. I don't remember exactly but I know we all had to go get money orders to mail in w/ the applications. I ended up needing to retest a skill station and (other than travel expense) it didn't cost me any extra. All I had to do was notify the NR ahead of time as to which test site I wished to attend.

I wonder if all these other fees aren't being charged by the individual facility hosting the test and not NR (either way I think it stinks for those of you that have to pay to test/re-test).

lomfs24
01-22-2005, 22:22
I don't know a lot about the fees and such that everyone is talking about. From what I understand with my course the test will be right here. They have yet to schedule a test date but they will be here. If we miss the test date or if we fail the test will will have to go 90 miles to the nearest testing location.

All the fees for both the class and the testing will be covered by my department, they are getting the funds from a grant. So it's not costing me a dime. That's one of the reasons I am able to do it so soon. I just started with this extremely small volunteer fire dept. and they are trying to get several people who can handle medical/trauma calls as well as fire calls. This particular department is 25-30 minutes away from ALS support and transport of a pt. to the hospital and as of right now only have one person who knows how to do anything medical and he is not currently licensed in this state. Needless to say he is going through the class with me as well.

obxprnstar
01-23-2005, 08:56
Originally posted by N2DFire
I'm still curious about all these fees everyone is talking about. When I took my CT (VA thing) to Paramedic Bridge class. The cost of the class was $1000 and the application fee for NR was something like $25. I don't remember exactly but I know we all had to go get money orders to mail in w/ the applications. I ended up needing to retest a skill station and (other than travel expense) it didn't cost me any extra. All I had to do was notify the NR ahead of time as to which test site I wished to attend.

I wonder if all these other fees aren't being charged by the individual facility hosting the test and not NR (either way I think it stinks for those of you that have to pay to test/re-test).

N2, when did you take your P test? I think it was about three years ago they raised the NREMT fee. Also as a VA medic canidate you may not have to pay. I was actually thinking about that last night, but just never got around to posting the question. I remember the lady from the "Old Dominian" ems council asked if I was from that area, and since I was not I had to pay a 50 per station test fee up too 200, but lowered to 150 b/c she felt sorry for me.

lakota222
01-23-2005, 11:35
I dont understand why National Registry is so important to some states. If All state training programs have to be based on the National DOT standard, I would think that there should be some form of National Reciprocity. All I have to say is that I was very foolish to let My NREMT-P expire, once I have it again, I will not let it go again. Then again, we fire and EMS'rs are such a well paid lot that we should be able to pay these exorbitant fees in stride!;6 ;6

obxprnstar
01-23-2005, 13:00
Originally posted by lakota222
I dont understand why National Registry is so important to some states. If All state training programs have to be based on the National DOT standard, I would think that there should be some form of National Reciprocity. All I have to say is that I was very foolish to let My NREMT-P expire, once I have it again, I will not let it go again. Then again, we fire and EMS'rs are such a well paid lot that we should be able to pay these exorbitant fees in stride!;6 ;6

To be honest, I think it might have to do with $$$

If your office of EMS does not have to handel testing, that must save SOME cash.

I have no idea how much it costs to run a test, but figre procters, and skills examiners (in NC all ALS skills are part of your paramedic class or done by your employer), supplies, grading, etc. Then figure how many tests you run each year (avg one every weekened and sometimes two per weekend) and then delete that #.

It's all about the benjamins.

Edge
01-26-2005, 17:53
I just took the NREMT-B test on December 16th. In Illinois, this is the first year that NR was the only option. In the past, there was a state test. My instructor did a good job and made the class interesting; plus we had to do ambulance / ER time as part of the course which added a real world feel.

Some EMTs had told me if I can pass this instructor's tests (written and practical), I can sleepwalk through the EMT exam. I passed the class with 100+% (extra credit), but the NREMT exam was not like class.

The NR test I took was VERY heavy into scenarios, which were not really covered in the book or class. Very little of my test had to do with anatomy or many of the basics. I had the distinct feeling that the test was designed by and for acting / experienced EMTs as many of the questions would not easily be answered by someone without that experience. I definitely did not feel it was well designed for beginning EMTs.

Anyway, I passed the test; but I was not prepared and was honestly surprised I passed. It turned out that I was the only one in my class that passed.

If doing it again, I would take the online practice tests, go through the workbook, and review / consider LOTS of scenario situations.

Glock-A-Roo
01-27-2005, 08:39
From what I've seen/heard Airway, pediatrics and OB are the big areas that people have difficulty on in the test. In my opinion the only really hard part about the exam is how the questions are worded. They turn out sounding pretty wierd which can confuse people. So just read the questions carefully.

This is exactly what my experience has been. Peds and OB seem to cause the most trouble... just like in real life.

I don't want to float a bunch of details, but suffice it to say that I am very experienced both academically and in life. I took my EMT-B and EMT-I training at night at a nationally recognized program. I got solid A's in the my classes. My intructors were experienced, principled medics and were very good at their jobs. I studied like mad for the NREMT-B exam and felt I had done more than my part to do well.

After I took the NREMT-B exam, I wanted to punch someone. I passed without a problem, but I was unprepared for the format. The internet-based practice tests were useless. The problem was not the content, I had that down cold (trust me) but the question format.

IMO, many of the NR questions allowed widely varying interpretations. For someone who thinks logically and has better than average reading comprehension it is very possible to see multiple answers that could be equally correct. IMO, if your vocabulary and experience level are too high, the test is actually more confusing.

When I ranted about this to my instructor, he nodded and said "I know. Just take the exam with the mindset of a 19-year old who just got through the class after high school".

I followed his advice on the NREMT-I exam and scored 10 points higher than on the NREMT-B exam.