Wierd Noise from Computer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Noise from Computer

General Sherman
01-13-2005, 14:07
From time to time my computer makes a "noise like the Jedi"
I turn it off and maybe it will restart without the noise and maybe not. So I let it rest.
Any ideas on what is wrong or how to cure it?

Thanks.

Cinic
01-13-2005, 14:21
I would guess a fan is going out or dirty.

Can you open the case and pinpoint the noise?

fastvfr
01-13-2005, 16:48
Pay particular attention to the PSU (rear-top), the center (CPU fan or vid fan) or the front (hard drive).

What did you mean by "Sounds Like A Jedi"? Like a 'lightsaber'? Or like Yoda?

Either way, is bad, ye-eessss.;f

General Sherman
01-13-2005, 18:49
Yoda

General Sherman
01-13-2005, 18:50
[QUOTE]Originally posted by General Sherman
Yoda [/QUOTE

I will try to clean the fan. It is five yrs old.]

chevrofreak
01-13-2005, 23:17
Fans burn out, and for me REALLY often. My room is dusty as crap and it kills fans. It doesnt hurt to blow them off fairly often.

unixguy
01-14-2005, 04:14
It doesnt hurt to blow them (fans) off fairly often.

Until recently, I used a vacuum to clean off my fans (cpu fan, in particular). It always seemed to me that cleaning it off didn't really help, and the last time seemed to make the fan even louder than before. That's when the lightbulb went off in my head and I realized that by putting the round vacuum hose right down flush with the fan i was probably putting that poor little fan through more rpms than it was ever designed for. (It was clean, but I think I messed up the bushing or bearings.)

General Sherman
01-17-2005, 09:45
I vacuumed it without any results.
Still making noise.

Pay to have fan replaced?

Buy new computer?

Cinic
01-17-2005, 10:22
Were you able to figure out which fan it is?

Some are really easy to replace, others aren't.

If it's a case fan we could walk you through it. A CPU cooler fan would be slightly more difficult. The one in the power supply would probably be the most tedious task.

The availability of the fans also varies depending on which it is?

You're probably at the point where you should ask yourself if you want to spend the time messing with a fan on a 5 year old computer or just replace the whole thing. Is the machine still doing everything you need it to do? Well, other than making the Yoda noise.

chevrofreak
01-17-2005, 14:42
Vacuums create static, which destroys computer parts. Use compressed air instead.