Is military surplus ammo bad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is military surplus ammo bad?

aggie03
01-13-2005, 17:02
A friend of mine just got a used .308 hunting rifle. He is debating whether or not to run surplus military ammo through it when he is out at the range. Of course he will use the expensive stuff when hes deer hunting, but the surplus military ammo is a fraction of the cost of new boxes from the store. Is military surplus ammo going to be less clean or affect his gun in any way? I had no idea so I knew the forum guys would have some good input.

RMTactical
01-13-2005, 18:48
Yes and no. It really depends on which surplus ammo he gets. If he gets new and/or US made ammo, there shouldn't be any problems, generally speaking.

Some older ammo can be somewhat questionable on how it was stored and as to it's effectiveness. Also, you might have older ammo that is corrosive, which is not really an issue as long as you clean it right away.

I shoot surplus Korean 30-06 in my Rem700 and it actually shoots VERY well. It's not corrosive either. I don't like to shoot corrosive ammo in my guns for the most part. But I think it's a bit overboard to say that you won't shoot ANY surplus ammo in your weapon. Some surplus can be just as good or even better than some commercial stuff.

deutscheglocker
01-13-2005, 19:02
I shot up some 1931 and 1936 military 30-06 which shot very well.

I reloaded the cases and shot some with my hunting load ( 150 gr Nosler ballistic tip on top of 57.5 grains of 4350) which also shot very well.
I shot an 8 point with a newer case reload and shot a doe with a military case (1936)which ruptured about 1/4 inch up from the base.
It was only about an eighth inch failure and didn't affect the rifle but the balance of that brass is going to the recyclers.

DG

RMTactical
01-13-2005, 19:31
Yeah, a lot of the older brass is prone to cracked cases. Not too great for reloading.I have surplus 8mm mauser ammo that I shoot and the cases crack almost everytime I shoot a round. It has never been an issue though.

aggie03
01-13-2005, 20:16
So it seems like the answer is it depends on the ammo. Can you visually see if the ammo is corrosive?

RMTactical
01-13-2005, 20:18
No, but you should know when you buy it. Plus, certain surplus ammo is known to be or not to be corrosive.

mikedb
01-13-2005, 20:55
It is all bad send it all to me. I will properly dispose of it. I have shot thousands of rounds through my milsurps without any corrosion, if cleaned properly. I belief is if surplus treat as corrosive. The dealer might not know for sure. Be cautious of statements like "very clean". It can be clean powder wise but still have corrosive primers.

Sixgun_Symphony
01-14-2005, 14:29
Clean your guns and it won't matter if the ammunition is corrosive or not.

pastorp
01-14-2005, 18:10
I've shot quite a lot of USA made 308 surplus amo. I thought the 308 cartrige came along after they went to all non corrosive priming. I don't know much about foreign made amo. Regards Byron

sarge
01-14-2005, 20:20
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
Clean your guns and it won't matter if the ammunition is corrosive or not.

I'm not taking the chance!!

GeorgiaGlockMan
01-15-2005, 01:33
I've shot alot of Aussie through my M1A SOCOM and have had excellent results.

I've run through a couple of cases and am in need of another or five.

nyredneck
01-15-2005, 23:34
Originally posted by aggie03
A friend of mine just got a used .308 hunting rifle. He is debating whether or not to run surplus military ammo through it when he is out at the range. Of course he will use the expensive stuff when hes deer hunting, but the surplus military ammo is a fraction of the cost of new boxes from the store. Is military surplus ammo going to be less clean or affect his gun in any way? I had no idea so I knew the forum guys would have some good input.

Now I know You know this and it probably doesn't bear saying but... Your Freind knows to use the "good ammo" to sight in with right? Man I feel stupid for even saying that, but I just had to!;f

Tommy Gunn
01-17-2005, 20:16
Originally posted by sarge
I'm not taking the chance!!

Just use some windex when cleaning, the ammonia will counteract the corrosive chemicals.