iBook or DELL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : iBook or DELL?

Generalcarry
01-13-2005, 16:26
I have a Dell 8200 but wanted to get a new laptop as well. I was looking between the Dell Inspiron 600m 1.4 GHz 40G HD or an iBook M9623LLa 1.2 GHz 30G HD. About a $20 difference.
I have a Compaq laptop thats had it, and have it hooked up to Linksys router. IF I were to go with the Apple, how much of a problem would it be to hook up the 8200 with the iBook. Can it even be done?
I started with an apple IIc, went to a Mac, Gateway then the DELL. Friends are saying lots of good things about the IBook but I'M not up on computers. Just wondering what your choice would be.

JMag
01-13-2005, 16:34
You'll be very happy with a new iBook. You'd be even more impressed (more $$) with a Powerbook, however. Good luck!

Generalcarry
01-13-2005, 16:53
Thanks for the advice. I guess I could spend a little more. My problem is I research a subject too much and get all confused. I'm getting to old for this stuff.
My next car will be black.

podwich
01-13-2005, 17:08
The #1 biggest question for you to answer is whether you want to use Apple OS or MS OS (or Linux or something). If you have a lot of software in one OS or another that you want to reuse, you may want to go that way. If not...well, take your pick! I currently use MS stuff but I used to use Macs-I like both.

01-13-2005, 17:15
Would'nt transferring software and hardware between your laptop and desktop be an issue. 2 printers? Apple is very cool but pricey. Especially the accessories.

dao
01-13-2005, 17:15
I use both as well, but my 17" Powerbook is my favorite...

You can usually get GREAT deals on refurbed Apples from their web store:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/

Click on the big red save button about midway down the right hand side... the good stuff sells out fast, so if you are interested in buying you might want to check it every day (early morning is best)

dealsontheweb (http://www.dealsontheweb.com/index.php?filter=mac&headlines=false) also has a Mac section...

I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you choose - a new computer is almost as nice as a new gun :cool:

Jeff S.
01-13-2005, 17:29
My vote is for an Apple. My family has gone through a ton of PC's.

For graduation my parents wanted to buy me a laptop, and I opted for an Apple.

After seeing my Powerbook they were impressed. After having it for a bit and having nothing go wrong with it they are even more impressed. (They are actually in the phase of ditching their computers and replacing them with iMacs, though my mother may want a Powerbook for herself).

Generalcarry
01-13-2005, 18:13
The more I think about it here's what I want. I want something to take with me when I travel. Be it by plan, car, ship whatever. I'm ready to try something different. If this computer can be hooked up to a home network even better. I have very little software (except for photography) and really enjoy finding different things. I use it like I would a library or book store. Something I can use to wander around and find out just how much I don't know.

JMag
01-13-2005, 21:42
Slightly off topic...

However, if you guys know someone interested in trying out a Mac and not spending a small fortune, look at www.apple.com. Take a look at the NEW and very small/light (2 pounds or so) desktop. You add any USB keyboard and your monitor (see specs) and your ready to go for a starting price of $499.

The new flashdrive iPod is there, too. It starts at $99.

Washington,D.C.
01-13-2005, 22:02
I think the Mac Mini has many notebook parts inside.I think the new I-Mac's do too.The Mac Mini is limited to an 80 gig hard drive internal and one gig of memory.I don't know much about the power supply or cooling but it should be plenty fast.Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger should be released sometime this year.Sometimes Apple charges $20 and sometimes $100 for the OS upgrade.I might try a Mac Mini.The Mac notebooks are really good quality.For a desktop I like the cheap add-on parts/accessories of a PC but for a notebook a Mac doesn't really give up anything.

Glk23
01-14-2005, 07:37
If your buying Apple you should be ok, but there is a new 64 chip on the horizon. This will probably make the value of most notebooks drop like a stone. The 32 chip that is in most all computers is only 1/4 as fast as this new 64 chip. Might want to research this a little if you go through notebooks.

Washington,D.C.
01-14-2005, 10:10
I've seen a couple of the AMD 64 notebooks.They do have some problems.Apple is having a hard time with cooling and battery drain with G5 notebooks.It's best to stay with a proven design.

RonC
01-14-2005, 10:51
Let me start by saying we are an Apple family. I bought my wife an iBook and my oldest son just bought his own iBook.

The biggest problem has been mentioned, software conversion. MS Office is available at a reasonable price, email and web browser are Apple products and come built in. But there are areas and disciplines in which Apple has little or no presence in software.

Secondly, the Linksys routers are not Mac friendly. If you need to reconfigure a Linksys, you may need a PC to do so (I don't know this for sure. Just what it says on the box.) I use D-Link stuff, which is not the greatest in performance, but it is Mac friendly.

By all means, make sure you get the Blue-tooth and wireless ethernet options (Apple calls it AirPort Extreme.) Makes use of a laptop at home so much more convenient.

RonC
01-14-2005, 10:54
Oh, I forgot to mention cost.

If you compare the PC offering and include the cost of acquiring the array of high quality software products Apple includes in its price, there is little or no difference in cost. When I did the comparison with a comparably equipped Dell about 6 months ago, there was a small price advantage with the Apple.

Generalcarry
01-14-2005, 11:28
I guess if I'm going to keep the Dell pc another couple years, it might be smart to get an iBook now then an apple desktop when I change. I'm just thinking out loud now. I'm embarrassed to ask but, is the iBook the entry level Apple laptop? I was figuring on spending about $1,200 that I've saved and now want (MUST) spend if you know what I mean. I have to spend it soon of I'll keep saving it up for???
I really appreciate all the excellent ideas.

RonC
01-14-2005, 13:21
Personally, I think you are a little low.

We spent around $1800 or so. My philosophy is to purchase everything hardware you think you will need over the life of the computer because there is no guarantee you will be able to add them later. We got the biggest hard drive available and 500 to 750 mb of memory, blue-tooth enabled, AirPort Extreme and a SuperDrive (CD and DVD reader/writer.) We got a $99 rebate on a selection of HP printers. The deals vary.

Go to the Apple web site, www.apple.com and select your poison and configure. Yes, there are two levels (and entry prices) of iBook and three levels of PowerBook, which is the upscale machine. For most of us, the iBook is fine, especially since the processor speed has crept up and the SuperDrive is available on the lower end machine.

Jeff S.
01-14-2005, 13:32
Originally posted by Glk23
If your buying Apple you should be ok, but there is a new 64 chip on the horizon. This will probably make the value of most notebooks drop like a stone. The 32 chip that is in most all computers is only 1/4 as fast as this new 64 chip. Might want to research this a little if you go through notebooks.

I believe that 64 bit processors are only better when running with software that was designed around 64 bit. Otherwise it makes no difference. That's my understanding. By the time the market is saturated with 64 bit processors and software designed around them most current computers will be outdated anyways.

Like I said, this is how I've had it explained to me.

RonC
01-14-2005, 14:02
The PowerPC is a 64 bit RISC processor. Apple has used it for years. That is why a comparison of MIPS is meaningless between an Intel CISC and a Motorola/IBM PPC based computer.

A lot of IS professionals are attracted to Apple because Apple computers are really running a nice implementation of Unix. The Mac interface is like a shell running over the underlying Unix core.

T. Harless
01-16-2005, 15:43
Man I love my Macs. You wouldn't go wrong with an ibook and a Powerbook would be that much better.

hwyhobo
01-16-2005, 16:08
I haven't found a single Dell laptop yet that would impress me by comparison with IBM Thinkpads as anything but cheaply, sloppily put together somewhere in a basement of some impoverished town in central China, which is probably where they are made. Oh, and the latest ones have absolutely the worst keyboards any laptop company has foisted upon the yet-unaffected-by-CTS populace. Don't ask me how I really feel. ;f

As to iBooks and Powerbooks, they are okay (although nothing to write home about). Better than Dells, I would say. The only issue I have with them is the not-completely-thought-through graphical shell on top of otherwise beautiful OS, but that is a matter of personal preference, and I recognize that.

Now, if Lenovo screws up the Thinkpad line, I don't know what I am going to get next. ^8

Jeff S.
01-16-2005, 16:09
FWIW, my Mother picked up an iBook a few days ago. It's a nice little machine. She got the 14 inch screen. I like it. It doesn't seem to be quite the machine the PowerBook is, but the plastic-casing does seem really durable.

So now my family owns a PowerBook and an iBook. Give us some time and there will be an iMac on it's way.

Apples are great machines.

T. Harless
01-16-2005, 16:30
The new iMac is a beautiful thing. I have a Dual 2 ghz G5 and a 23" Cinema Display so I'm not much in the market but if I needed a new consumer desktop. Beautiful. I have a bad jones for a 12" Powerbook. That is the kickinest little machine.

Generalcarry
01-24-2005, 05:19
An update. I woke up Sunday morning to a ďlast day saleĒ by Dell. I called and ended up ordering an Inspiron 8600 for $ 996 (I admit to being an impulse buyer). By the time I finished adding on, it came out to be ~ $1,450. I wasnít really excited about getting it and I guess that was the tip-off. Anyway, Dell called yesterday with a problem with the carrying case I ordered, and on a whim I asked him to go over the upgrades. The first thing out of his mouth was a 1.5 processor. I had upgraded from the 1.6 and stopped him there. I was able to cancel the order. Now I feel excited because Iíve decided to change over to an all Apple system. Iím retired and my wife wants to teach 2 more years so, if Iím going to make a move, I had better do it while the wifeís making the bucks. I want to go large on the desktop (I like having my own room to do whatever) and maybe a medium Powerbook for travel. This will probably be the last big hurrah, if you know what I mean.
I didnít know about the 64 chip on the horizon so I guess Iíll give it a couple months before I start over again. Thanks for the help, as Apple was an overwhelming choice and many blanks were filled in. Well at the very least, I know Iím going back to Apple and the excitement starts anew.

T. Harless
01-24-2005, 05:39
You'll be happy going to the Mac. If the Mrs. is a teacher look into the Apple Store for Education. Might net you a little better deal.

python1340
01-24-2005, 09:30
Dells are nice but cost too much for what you get. I just got a new Toshiba Satellite P35-S609 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1093468376782&skuId=6850981&type=product), which was hundreds of dollars cheaper than a similarly-equipped Dell.

CranialCrusader
01-24-2005, 20:48
Originally posted by Generalcarry

I didnít know about the 64 chip on the horizon so I guess Iíll give it a couple months before I start over again. Thanks for the help, as Apple was an overwhelming choice and many blanks were filled in. Well at the very least, I know Iím going back to Apple and the excitement starts anew.

Don't worry about the 64 bit chip. It's still in the early stages in the PC world and basically a toy. On an Apple it is worth something, but still is quite new and is only on the higher end machines.

I don't see 64 bit chips hitting mainstream until at least a year from now. Until then, you will do FINE with an iBook. The next computer I buy will be an Apple.

The best thing abuot OSX is NO SPYWARE!!!!

CranialCrusader