I need a Linux tutor. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a Linux tutor.

gwalchmai
01-13-2005, 17:39
I'm making the move, and it's going reasonably well. I have a lot of questions, though. I'm typing this in Firefox running on MEPIS that I installed on an older Dell notebook. Easiest OS install since DOS ;), I agree.

SO far I've installed MEPIS, KNOPPIX, and Red Hat on old PCs and they all work fine, I just have these little baby step questions that I can't figure out. Like:

How do I tell how much space is available on a drive?

How do I create a Linux domain that Windows PCs can work in? I can access my Windows domain using Samba, but eventually I'd like to have a Linux domain controller. (Good ways off, I know)

How do I share a directory?

Thanks. I'll have more later.

gwal, the Linux newbie. ;)

fastvfr
01-13-2005, 17:50
Originally posted by gwalchmai
I just have these little baby step questions that I can't figure out. Like:

How do I create a Linux domain that Windows PCs can work in? I can access my Windows domain using Samba, but eventually I'd like to have a Linux domain controller. (Good ways off, I know)

Thanks. I'll have more later.

gwal, the Linux newbie. ;)

Hey gwalchmai;

As far as the available space goes, you're running KDE for a desktop, correct? Look in the Info Center.

A SAMBA server is one of the best ways - and in reality one of the ONLY ways - for Win9x or XP to share files and whatnot with Linux machines on a Linux-based network.

If you check out a Linux HDD that's slaved into a Windows machine, the drive is invisible to the M$-OS since it doesn't have a M$DOS-compliant file table installed.

For that reason I have a PC that serves three functions: Linux Stateful Firewall, DSL access point, and SAMBA fileserver on an encrypted and passworded separate drive not accessable to the SmoothWall OS that runs on it. It's just a box; no monitor, keyboard, ect...I use Debian to access and configure it across the network.

And as far a sharing a directory goes: where, how, and with what?;b

Washington,D.C.
01-13-2005, 17:52
In Mepis you can right click on the /Home icon and and left click Properties.This will tell you free space in /Home which is normally your working space to store files.I highly recommend PCLinuxOS.It works great and is fairly easy to use.It runs as a live CD that is also installable to the hard drive. http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/index.html

lomfs24
01-14-2005, 00:45
good suggestions on the sharing bit and also the drive space if you are running or using a graphical interface like KDE or Gnome, also called GUI. If you at a command line you can type 'df' to get available drive space. If you can't read it you can type 'df -h' to make it human readable.

gwalchmai
01-14-2005, 05:34
Originally posted by fastvfr
And as far a sharing a directory goes: where, how, and with what?;b Assume I have a Win2K domain, D, and I want to share a directory called S on my Linux box with the members of D.

Great answers so far, guys. Thanks!

Oh, how do I make Firefox my default browser? If I click on a link in an email, as in a GT notification, it opens the link in Mozilla. I'm using Mozilla Mail now, but I'll install T-Bird later.

David_G17
01-14-2005, 08:49
I'm making the move, and it's going reasonably well. I have a lot of questions, though. I'm typing this in Firefox running on MEPIS that I installed on an older Dell notebook. Easiest OS install since DOS ;), I agree.

SO far I've installed MEPIS, KNOPPIX, and Red Hat on old PCs and they all work fine, I just have these little baby step questions that I can't figure out. Like:

from command prompt: df
or: df -h

Tennessee Slim
01-18-2005, 01:14

df -k

If the command is not being issued from the drive that you want to check, specifiy the path at the root of the target HDD;
i.e., df -k /export/home

Samba on Leenuks can be a PDC to Windblows systems. You can find good guides online at us1.samba.org, freshmeat.net, linuxorbit.com and others. Find an online copy of David Lechnyr's "The Unofficial Samba HOWTO".

Samba also will share a *NIX directory to Windblows systems.

bytelevel
01-18-2005, 21:42
In addition to getting some good books on basic linux administration, I suggest you search around for a Linux Users Group (LUG) in your area.

Google around and see if there's one nearby. A group meets 20 miles from me once a week in a Barnes & Nobles. I've only been once, but if I needed questions answered and couldn't find them on the web or in books, that's where I'd head.

HerrGlock
01-19-2005, 06:14

This allows a Fedora Core 2 machine to become the PDC for WIN2K machines. I believe I have an XP machine around here that is also attached but I do not pay that close attention to the WIN side of the house. This allows a user to log on, see the "shared" directory, see their home directory and use the printer. You'll get errors with the netlogon so you can either create a script that goes where it points, ignore the errors or delete the block that mentions the netlogon. You must have the encrypted passwords on or you'll never connect ;f

interfaces= should be changed to your machine's IP address that the WIN machines can see.

/etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
pam password change = Yes
domain master = True
encrypt passwords = yes
logon path = \\%N\%U\ntprofile
bind interfaces only = Yes
preferred master = True
logon script = logon.cmd
interfaces = 192.168.200.3
passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd: *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
domain logons = Yes
workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
max log size = 1000
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
netbios name = WINPDCSMB
logon drive = H:
os level = 40
logon home = \\homeserver\%u

[netlogon]
path = /etc/samba/netlogon
write list = myuser

[shared]