Need advice on good "all around" hunting shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on good "all around" hunting shotgun

leeinmemphis
01-13-2005, 19:26
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about maybe trying to get a new shotgun before turkey season comes around. I currently have a mossberg 835 that was one of the first 3-1/2" that they ever sold to the public. Well the gun does not cycle 3-1/2" shells very well at all and I think it maybe be time to look at a new shotgun.

I was at a local gun shop today and looked at a couple of the benelli shotguns. From what I've read on some boards that alot of people think very highly of the super black eagle line. I am planning on using it for turkey, dove, ducks, rabbit, and maybe some squirrels. I'ld also like to start shooting some sporting clays/5 stations at our local range too. What gun would everyone recommend for this type of use? I've kind of got my eye on the Benelli Super Black Eagle II in camo. I don't really know which length barrel I should look at.....I'ld assume probably the longest available, right?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-

MrMurphy
01-14-2005, 07:28
Sounds like you want a semi only.

A 24" or 26" barrel would probably be the best in-between option as an all around gun.

Try the Benelli SBE, the Remington 1187, or one of the Berettas.

I'll move this to hunting/fishing you'll get better replies.

noway
01-14-2005, 08:58
imho, If you want a Benelli and MUST need 3.5" chamber then get the SBE or if not the M1field I have does a good job. THis new M2 might also be a on my plan shotguns to buy. Both Remington and Beretta aso makes 3 or 3.5' models. The eXtrema is a very fine gun and getting the rebates and discounts from Beretta you can get this gun at reasonable price. I looked at these seriously last year BUT didn't buy one. Othe projects pre empted that purchase :(

I'm really surprise your 835 doesn't handle 3.5" that great, since it should be a pump shotgun ;g or I'm I missing something here. I have heard of a few mossberg users that had problem with 3.5" shells getting caught on the ejection port if they didn't "forcefully" eject the shells.

btw, I used to hunt turkeys with a guy that had a older model ported 835 , and it was quite a good turkey slayer and the added super magnum chamber gave him more options in loads vers a typical 3" magnum shotgun. He was 100% satisfied with his SG.

Hunterjbb
01-14-2005, 13:50
and 835 and so does my friend.. One thing i've found is you can't baby the pumping action when your using 3.5 shells.. great gun, durable but a little heavy. Otherwise i've shot quite a few 3.5 out of it with no troubles..

I would suggest you look at the 1187's.. Browning still makes a great shotgun also. depends on what you want to spend.

I would say on the barrel length with the choke systems these days i don't think you'd be hurt with a 24 or 26..

good luck.

fabricator
01-14-2005, 13:57
I have two Browning golds they both perform flawlessly.

Sixgun_Symphony
01-14-2005, 14:25
You might want to consider getting more than one shotgun. A 12 gauge for turkey, waterfowl and a light, fast handling 28 gauge double barrel for smaller game.

Sundog
01-14-2005, 20:28
I have a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard, which for me is a good all-around shotgun. Admittedly, I hunt ducks the majority of the time. The new version, the AL391, is a good choice.

If you can consider a pump, the Benelli Nova is an absolute bargain. It can be had for around $300, and chambers 3 1/2" shells IIRC.

leeinmemphis
01-15-2005, 07:27
Originally posted by MrMurphy
Sounds like you want a semi only.

A 24" or 26" barrel would probably be the best in-between option as an all around gun.

Try the Benelli SBE, the Remington 1187, or one of the Berettas.

I'll move this to hunting/fishing you'll get better replies.

Mr Murphy....I wasn't really sure where to put it since it kind of applies to both forums thanks.

I have also been told that I need to check out the Winchester X2 shotgun. I've been told that it is a great shotgun and a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Benelli. thanks again.

-lee-

nyredneck
01-15-2005, 23:38
I have A Browning BPS in 3 1/2" with a 30" barrel. Boy is that thing a clunker! But I have shot turks, coyotes, ducks, geese , squirrel and 1 coon with it and it shoots great!

protozo1
01-15-2005, 23:56
I've had the Browning BPS stalker in 3.5" I've also had the Benelli SBE with 3.5". I'm left handed so my options are limited. I've owned right handed Brownings for years. I currently own a FABARMS left hand composite auto with a 3 inch chamber (I got it realy cheap and it's nice). The bottom line is I sold the Benelli SBE, it just didn't do it for me, many people like it, I didn't. I highly recomend a Browning Gold my cousins have them and they work excellent, in fact I've written Browning on numerous occasions begging them to make one in left hand. The Browning Gold handles light loads really well, my Benelli wouldn't, I had to stay at a certain load level to get it to cycle. As far as skeet and five stand you can't go wrong with a nice over and under, but I find if you're trying to hone your hunting skills practice with the gun you hunt with. As far as barrel length the 3.5" chamber makes for a long shotgun to begin with I'd go with a 24" barrel, especially if you're doing a lot of turkey hunting. I recomend the Browning the cost is about the same as a Benelli and they are both less than a decent o/u. Lastly, look around for a used one, a lot of people buy the 3.5" chambered shotguns because they want the extra power but they are long and can be a handful so there are used ones around. Good luck

MrMurphy
01-17-2005, 12:40
I've shot a Winchester Super X2 and yeah, it does handle very well.

USPcompact
01-17-2005, 13:34
The Winchester X2 comes in a distant fourth when compared to the offerings from Beretta, Benelli, and Browning. If you want 3.5" capability, I'd rate the Benelli SBE ahead of the Browning and Beretta. While the Browning Gold and Beretta AL391 are both great shotguns, they just don't mount as well nor swing as lively for me as does the SBE. The gas system in the Browning and Beretta makes the forend too chunky for my tastes. The SBE will absolutely eat anything with nary a hiccup, and will continue to do so after months without cleaning. I'm just not a fan of gas-operated autoloaders in the duck blind.

MrGlock21
01-18-2005, 03:38
There is no doubt: if you can/want/ allow yourself to afford the super black eagle, go for it. Benelli rocks!

I grew up in a country where over&unders are common. Jeeeez, for cryin out loud, I owned a sidebyside Ferlacher !!!

But eventually, all I need is a Benelli Nova and two Saigas 12, one 22" one 19"

txgolfer45
01-24-2005, 08:19
It gets the job done. I have a 20 gauge and a 12 gague Express. Both work great for me in the field for the game you listed.

Scott

Pat S
01-28-2005, 00:19
I like my ported 835 Ulti-Mag for turkey hunting. In stock form it will shoot 20 yds. further then an 870 I used to use!
Like someone else stated you need to work the slide with authority, but I've never had a problem ejecting hulls.

I still like American guns and if I were you I'd look at the 1187 for the sporting clays and such. You might want to keep your 835 around around for turkey hunting. At least until you see if your other gun will match it in range. ;)

Pat S.

shrpshtr
01-30-2005, 20:40
remington 11-87 sounds like all you need. i have been shooting mine for 13 years and GOD knows how many rounds. it will handle just about any game you want to chase with it.

02-06-2005, 20:20
I like pump shotguns. Mine is Rem 870 with choked barrel and a separate rifled barrel. There is available 870 that can accomodate up to 31/2 in shells.

duncan
02-06-2005, 23:19
Originally posted by txgolfer45
It gets the job done. I have a 20 gauge and a 12 gague Express. Both work great for me in the field for the game you listed.

Scott

Amen!

Rem 870 Express comes with 24" field barrel for turkey, pheasant, trap or skeet.

Plus a 20" deer or home defense barrel.

Great combo - durable and built to last.

Pump action too.
It's my only SG!

buckfever34
02-08-2005, 09:19
For the $ spent ya really can't beat an 870...

f1b32oPTic
02-08-2005, 09:38
Originally posted by USPcompact
The Winchester X2 comes in a distant fourth when compared to the offerings from Beretta, Benelli, and Browning.

the x2 and the browning gold are pretty much the same gun. they are both made by fn on the same gas system and reciever

heck even the safeties are the same triangular shape.

distant fourth? i doubt it

laneh2112
02-09-2005, 10:27
I've got a Nova that I bought new about 4 years ago, or whenever that was that they were new on the market, and it has never given me a single problem...i bought the recoil reduction piston thing that they sell because i do a lot of goose hunting with 3 1/2's and its probably the best thing i could have done...I would say they kick like a normal 3 inch load and the 3's are more like 2 3/4's now.

USPcompact
02-09-2005, 12:16
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
the x2 and the browning gold are pretty much the same gun. they are both made by fn on the same gas system and reciever

heck even the safeties are the same triangular shape.

distant fourth? i doubt it

Fine, distant third then. Beretta and Benelli both have better autoloaders, and between those two it comes down to whether you want a gas-operated or recoil-operated gun.

I've shot the SX2 on numerous occasions and was completely unimpressed. Just not my cup of tea. For the money, I'd say spend an extra 100 bucks or so and get something out of Urbino.

f1b32oPTic
02-09-2005, 13:21
Fine, distant third then. Beretta and Benelli both have better autoloaders, and between those two it comes down to whether you want a gas-operated or recoil-operated gun.

I've shot the SX2 on numerous occasions and was completely unimpressed. Just not my cup of tea. For the money, I'd say spend an extra 100 bucks or so and get something out of Urbino.

i really dont have adog in the fight, i was just argueing between the distinction between the sx2 and the browning gold

my choice would be the beretta al391 for a gas autoloader but am interested in the new sporting gun that benelli is supposed to release that uses their military technology ARGO gas system of their M4 semiauto shotgun..a gas benelli could only be sweet

USPcompact
02-09-2005, 15:42
i really dont have adog in the fight, i was just argueing between the distinction between the sx2 and the browning gold

my choice would be the beretta al391 for a gas autoloader but am interested in the new sporting gun that benelli is supposed to release that uses their military technology ARGO gas system of their M4 semiauto shotgun..a gas benelli could only be sweet

I really don't either, other than the fact that I was really disappointed when I shot the SX2. I was hoping for something better. But in all honesty you can't go wrong with any of them, it's just down to fine details when you're talking about which one is "better" than the others.

I've shot the new Benelli Super Sport II, but that's basically the same recoil system Benelli has always used. The Cordoba is the same as the SSII, but is finished in all black. Do you have any info about the new Benelli sporting gun other than it's going to be using the ARGO system?

f1b32oPTic
02-09-2005, 21:40
. Do you have any info about the new Benelli sporting gun other than it's going to be using the ARGO system?

not other than what ive heard kicked around on shotgunworld.com but id be in the market for one if it did debut. the benelli website doesnt have any info on it either and i havent heard any news from the shot show.. i doubt it will be a 2005 debut.

the fact that they make their r1 hunting rifle with the argo gas system is a promising sign however. if they would make a 28" barrel for their m1014 id buy it in a heart beat, a low maintainence gas gun with military spec reliability in the duck boat, whats not to like?

USPcompact
02-09-2005, 22:41
if they would make a 28" barrel for their m1014 id buy it in a heart beat, a low maintainence gas gun with military spec reliability in the duck boat, whats not to like?

Exactly! I'm not very impressed with the SBEII, at least as compared to the original, so I'm still waiting for Benelli to come out with something revolutionary instead of evolutionary. The SBEII might be a better gun, but it's not better enough for me to ditch my original SBE in favor of a triangle trigger guard and those weird rubber tracks on the stock. Seems like the ARGO system has all the hallmarks of being the guts for a perfect duck gun, and would be cause for me to trade up.