So I bought this USB 4 port HUB..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I bought this USB 4 port HUB.....

lwt210
01-14-2005, 14:17
...and if my optical mouse is plugged into it, the notebook won't boot.

The reason that I got this thing is so that I could plug my new jump drive into it without having to close the screen and move it around to get to the ports on the back.

It will boot with the digicam hooked to it and with the jump drive fine. Right now, I have two ports on the notebook; using the hub for one and the optial mouse into the other one.

What gives? Is it junk? Or is this common? I still have the packaging and receipt for it. A Walmart special made by Cyberpower (around 20.00 bucks).

Thanks in advance.

David_G17
01-14-2005, 14:25
did your hub come with an external transformer (to plug into an electrical outlet)?

i've never heard of this problem, but the mouse may require more power than your laptop can provide... that shouldn't be a problem though.

what kind of laptop do you have?

lwt210
01-14-2005, 23:06
Yeah, as a matter of fact, it does have a power plug that you can use to get more juice.

But I had it plugged in and my Microsoft notebook optical mouse plugged into the hub. Everything seemed fine and I went to hibernate last night.

The wife gets up today and fires up the comptuer.....only it won't boot past the Compaq screen.

I came home, unplugged the mouse and left the digicam and jump drive plugged into the hub.......then it would boot as normal.

I've had this Presario now for two years and it hasn't give me a lick of problems. To remedy, I just plug the mouse into one port and the hub into another. But I do plan on getting a printer/scanner/copier in the near future and want to be able to plug it into the hub as well.

But now I am thinking I may run into the same problem with the printer hooked up.

Oh well, for right now it is serving it's purpose. Just was wondering if I got a lemon of a hub.

fastvfr
01-15-2005, 11:03
It could very well be the hub's fault.

I haven't seen one do this, and I know several people who set their laptops up like that.

You might try a different brand of externally-powered USB hub, so you can return that one in time for a cash refund if the other one works okay.

Also, if the mouse came with a little green USB-to-PS2 adapter plug, maybe that would work better.

Good luck with it!

Bronson7
01-16-2005, 08:24
My Dad has one one of those hubs. He has to unplug his scanner to use his external burner. I can't exactly remember where, but the documentation on one of his peripherals says this may be necessary.
Bronson7

lwt210
01-16-2005, 12:57
Okay, thanks. I guess I will keep it and deal with the printer problem when I cross that bridge.