AHHH! New internet connection = Viruses! Need firewall help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AHHH! New internet connection = Viruses! Need firewall help!

pangris
01-14-2005, 21:36
OK, I've been on dial up for eons. As of today I have DSL at home on a Dell system, and cable via wireless router for my gateway laptop.

Well, I left me computer on as usual, with the DSL up, and after dinner and a movie I come home to find that Norton has detected a new virus... a whopping four hours after I get my new high speed internet. Talk about a fly in the ointment.

What do I need to do? I have norton anti-virus with live updates. Do I need a firewall? What type - hardware, software, what about for the laptop???

I know I need *something* to stop stuff from getting on my machine, and to stop snoopers, etc, but I am clueless as to what!

AHHH!

I'd like to meet the people that write viruses, then beat them up :(

Thanks for the help ;g

NetNinja
01-14-2005, 22:45
Read ths sticky on the top of this forum.

interlazio
01-15-2005, 01:25
1.) You must first make sure your computer is shielded with all the latest Windows Critical Updates. www.windowsupdate.com

2.) You can then run an antivirus program (Ex: Norton, Symantec). Make sure you have the latest virus definitions before running a scan www.sarc.com and also make sure that you run your (Norton) in safemode.

3.) You may also want to try and remove spyware from your machine. You can download popular spyware programs from www.download.com

Taking preventive measures to avoid getting your computer infected is a lot easier than cleaning an unprotected and infected machine. And if you do clean your machine and do not secure your machine by updating/patching it, then you will surely get infected again.

proguncali
01-15-2005, 02:07
Paul,

At the very least download these free tools. Adaware, spybot S&D and spywareblaster. They all work great.

As for the firewall...

I would get a Netgear Model RP614. Ive deployed hundreds of Netgear boxes and tested all of the other ones... I've found them to be the most reliable. You can get them pretty cheap...

There is a little trick with swapping in a router...

You must first release your IP back to the provider and then remove the cable out of your computer.

Then plug in your router and configure it to pick up DHCP.

You should be all good from there. If you have any problems with it feel free to drop me an email if you still have my addy. If not PM me and I'll get it out to you...

^c

pangris
01-15-2005, 11:12
I was thinking about getting a wireless router for the house, I've got one at work...

So let me understand - with a wireless router, the MS antispyware, and norton, which is what I'm currently running - I should be pretty good to go?

As far as a firewall goes - I'm still not clear as to whether they are software or hardware?

Paul

fastvfr
01-15-2005, 11:49
Originally posted by pangris
I was thinking about getting a wireless router for the house, I've got one at work...

So let me understand - with a wireless router, the MS antispyware, and norton, which is what I'm currently running - I should be pretty good to go?

As far as a firewall goes - I'm still not clear as to whether they are software or hardware?

Paul

Wireless is fine. And I would have to say that the 3rd party spyware utilities are far better than the M$ scheme-at least so far.

If you get a router, just make sure it supports NAT stateful packet filtering - then learn how to configure it properly; that is a hardware firewall and is far safer than a software one.

These steps will keep your machine quite a bit safer...though I hope for your sake that your subscription (read: extortion payment) to Norton is nearly up so you can dump it for a more powerful and better-supported free AV solution like AVAST! or AVG.

Good luck!!

Wulfenite
01-15-2005, 12:08
I have a belkin 54g wireless router/firewall. It works great. Easy to install and setup. Minimal virus/spyware problems.

pangris
01-15-2005, 12:11
I was going ot go with a netgear wgr614, which is what I have at work - how do I find out of it filters stuff???

Wulfenite
01-15-2005, 12:23
Usually it will say "firewall" on the box if it functions as a hardware firewall.

pangris
01-15-2005, 12:44
ah. Gotcha, thanks!

hwyhobo
01-15-2005, 13:53
Originally posted by proguncali
I would get a Netgear [...] Ive deployed hundreds of Netgear boxes and tested all of the other ones... I've found them to be the most reliable. You can get them pretty cheap...
I'll second that. I use a lot of Netgear stuff, I buy it refurbished, cheap, works great. Last year I added a Netgear router/stateful NAT/DHCP/firewall for $50. Very happy with it (although it is wired, not wireless). I also use their switches/hubs at work. Small, made of metal, reliable, travel well (I'm a road warrior).

You might check this URL (http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/netsol.html) - I've been happy with their products and service. Mind you, my preference is for the old-type square, dark blue boxes. I haven't used any of the new-style silver shiny stuff. They just look too cute. ;g

proguncali, which ones do you use? Do you have any preference? I will appreciate someone else's opinion, particularly that I am about to buy another batch soon.

Edited misspellings - sorry, flu is messing with my mind

pangris
01-15-2005, 14:04
I'll second that, especially if you can suggest ones with a firewall...

Washington,D.C.
01-15-2005, 19:28
For a router look for the words "Stateful packet inspection".For software firewall I like the older 4.5 version of Zone Alarm.Some people have trouble with the 5.x version but the current version might have the bugs worked out by now. http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html Download from here while it's still available http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1023_zl/zlsSetup_45_594_000.exe For the best free anti-spyware A-squared is great http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4281.html For the best paid one I like Webroot Spy Sweeper http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3263.html even the trial version gets updates and removes spyware during the free trial.Use CCleaner to keep your system clean and fast http://www.ccleaner.com

waktasz
01-15-2005, 20:20
and stop using internet explorer.

www.getfirefox.com