Alright, be honest :D [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alright, be honest :D

Sinister Angel
01-14-2005, 21:36
Who listens to 80's music? I do, and for anyone else that does, a friend of mine showed me an internet radiostation that plays 80's. Pretty good stuff. If anyone is interested, you can get it at www.club977.com

That being said, I heard some Human League on there, and they suck :( well, at least the song I heard. I got hooked onto Duran Duran from my dad's LPs though :)

Soujurn
01-15-2005, 09:16
I like some 80's songs, a few here and there.
Take On Me by A-Ha was always one of my favorites.
Melt With You by Modern English from 'Valley Girl' is a great song.
I wasn't into the hair metal glam stuff like Motley Crue and Poison and their ilk.

Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Pink FLoyd, The Cars, Tom Petty, I listened to as well.

California Jack
01-15-2005, 13:18
What about the Blasters, Stiff Little Fingers, the Beat Farmers, Paul Collins Beat, The Kingbees, Peter Case, Violent Femmes, heck even the first Del Fuegos LP was great? How come when people ask about '80's music they always ask about the crap bands and not the good stuff?

Sinister Angel
01-15-2005, 21:02
Level 42 - Something about you
and
When in Rome - The promise
are both pretty good, and like I said, I'm a sucker for Duran Duran.

papajoe
01-15-2005, 22:54
I am a real nut for "Doo Wap" music. I have a pretty good collection. My records go back to about 1953 or maybe even a little earlier. I have transfered most of my music to CDs. That way I don't have to worry too much about getting them scratched. I even have a copy of "Gee" by 'The Crows'. That's probably one of the very first Doo Wap songs. By the way, I forgot to mention that my copy of "Gee" is on a 78 rpm record. Is anyone else out there interested in this same music?

AJE
01-17-2005, 11:23
Mostly just like the hard rock from the 80s.

nickg
01-18-2005, 12:31
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
Level 42 - Something about you......

one of my favorite bands. i have about 3 or 4 of their CDs.

i saw them live back in '85. they opened up for madonna. in fact the only reason i went to the show was because of them and NOT madonna, though she actually did put on a good show to tell you the truth.

mark king is a very underated bass player!!

some of my other favorite albums from the 80's are the power station, mr. mister, and tears for fear. i saw tears for fear in '85 as well. that was the SECOND greatest concert i EVER went to.

my wife was pregnant at the time and i SWEAR that's why my kid loves "songs from the big chair" because he was "at" that show. :) :) plus he's also a big fan of 80's music.

but i love 80's stuff, especially some of the one hit wonder music of the GOOD days of MTV.

nickg
01-18-2005, 12:36
Originally posted by papajoe
I am a real nut for "Doo Wap" music. I have a pretty good collection. My records go back to about 1953 or maybe even a little earlier. I have transfered most of my music to CDs. That way I don't have to worry too much about getting them scratched. I even have a copy of "Gee" by 'The Crows'. That's probably one of the very first Doo Wap songs. By the way, I forgot to mention that my copy of "Gee" is on a 78 rpm record. Is anyone else out there interested in this same music?

i have a whole bunch of 78's that were my parents. i have to see if any of them are worth anything.

our "record player" that we had when i was a kid (this was in the late 50's) was a Philco. it played speeds of 33, 45, 78, AND 16!!! when was the LAST time you saw a machine that played records at 16RPM.

there are probably some kids out there going "record player?" "78s?" "45s?" ;f ;f ;f

papajoe
01-18-2005, 15:25
When it comes to favorite bands, I think I would have to say, "The Funk Brothers" If you have heard much from "Motown" then you have probably heard The Funk Bros. They played the back up music for almost all the big names that recorded for Motown. They did a great job.

nickg
01-19-2005, 13:05
Originally posted by papajoe
When it comes to favorite bands, I think I would have to say, "The Funk Brothers" If you have heard much from "Motown" then you have probably heard The Funk Bros. They played the back up music for almost all the big names that recorded for Motown. They did a great job.

did you see "standing in the shadows of motown" movie? what a GREAT documentary!!

as a drummer i played a lot of motown tunes in bands and had the parts down no problem, BUT DAMN i could NEVER get that groove they had!!

Sinister Angel
01-19-2005, 22:48
I like Pink Floyd alot.

I heard Taco - Puttin' on the ritz for the first time. That ****'s classic! The video is interesting as well.

costanza187
01-22-2005, 15:40
You just cant go wrong with Motley Crue.

KeysBear
01-29-2005, 20:38
I was playing top 40 rock in the 80's. Now I'm in a classic rock band playing pretty much the same set lists we did back then. For me the music is timeless and possibly the best modern music era.

Regards, Keys :cool:

.22 boy
01-30-2005, 12:08
I hate to say it but....

I LOVE HAIR BANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!