Why is my computer so slow!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why is my computer so slow!!

harlenm
01-16-2005, 07:15
No adware, no viruses(according to AVG free), but the thing just slowed down like you can't believe.

It takes about 20 seconds to load glocktalk. Before it used to load in a second or two.

It takes 5 minutes to print a sheet of paper, by the time the computer sends it to the printer.

I have less than 10% of space on my hard drive, could that be why?

I bought a new western digital 120 gig HD, and I'm going to do a clean install of windows xp on it. Hoping that solves the problem.

BTW, it's a home built Athlon XP 2700+ with 512 megs of ram.

Weaps
01-16-2005, 07:33
I built my wife an Athlon XP computer not too long ago with an Asus MB and installed the virus protection software that came with it, thinking that would be the right thing to do. After noting that this very virus protection software was coming in and jacking the CPU usage to 99% thus slowing down what would otherwise be a significant upgrade I chucked that anti-virus software. I forget who made it, but you might want to check that. Use the task manager (right-click the task bar) to see what might be taking up resources while it's running.

harlenm
01-16-2005, 08:05
cpu usage was at 100%, even after I shut down all processes. Restarted the computer, and all seems fine now, cpu usage is currently at 15%, or less. I don't know what was causing the problem. Will install new hard drive with fresh install of XP anyway.

Bronson7
01-16-2005, 08:15
With nothing runnig, 15% seems a bit excessive to me. Right now while I'm typing, I'm getting 2-5% with av program running. Off line and idle I'm at 0. My soft modem takes up 2-4%.
Bronson7

harlenm
01-16-2005, 08:21
Currently at 4% when typing into this box. 0% when nothing running. Jumped up to 15% when I clicked on the reply button.

Bronson7
01-16-2005, 08:49
harlenm, sounds ok now, but I'd free up some space on your HD, then run file checker, followed by a defrag. I'm not a computer guru, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Also the posters comment about killing unnecessary stuff in your startup is a good one.
Bronson7

Washington,D.C.
01-16-2005, 09:15
http://www.ccleaner.com and http://majorgeeks.com/download4281.html

MB-G26
01-17-2005, 04:21
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
www.BlackViper.com
Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations

I have updated my Windows XP Services Configurations and Windows XP Services Information pages to include additional Service Pack 2 information.
Do NOT use "msconfig" to disable services, type "services.msc" in the Run box instead!

Although the page now incorporates XP SP2 aspects, it's still 100% applicable for XP/SP1, and the differences between the two are noted throughout the body of info.

Makes it pretty easy to DISable unnecessary XP processes - resulting in a lot of freed up RAM and a better-running, more responsive system.
jfwiw
m

modgun
01-17-2005, 05:18
Get "hijack this" and then run a scan and then post your results.

NetNinja
01-18-2005, 09:23
Sometimes the 99% cpu usage is caused by the antivirus doing it's daily scan.

I had this problem once and I thought that the antvirus was wigging out until it took 3 minutes to get the anti virus interface launched.
There I discovered it was doing a full scan.