Seeking help in choosing 17" LCD monitor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help in choosing 17" LCD monitor

TDK133
01-16-2005, 10:57
I've recently decided to get a mini Mac, and need to get a monitor to go with it. I am not computer illiterate, but the variety of available monitors is daunting. I'd like to get a 17" LCD flat-screen monitor with speakers from an established and respected manufacturer with a good warranty and dead pixel policy, ideally under $300. However, I am willing to go up to $350 if that would get me a monitor of demonstrably greater quality than is available for less than $300. I would greatly appreciate any advice on which monitors in my price range fit most closely with what I want, and which online stores have the best prices and service (from my research newegg.com appears to be pretty good).

MGomez81
01-16-2005, 12:08
Newegg is a great company. I love doing business with them. However, good luck getting a good 17" LCD for under $300.

Have you seen the prices out there? Hence why I still own a CRT.

Cinic
01-16-2005, 12:49
We bought my in-laws a monitor with the specifications you noted for $250ish.

This is it:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-179-005&depa=1

They've been pleased and it has a number of good reviews. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "dead pixel policy." Newegg has one for this monitor but it's for replacement with 8 or more dead pixels. I'd be pretty pissed if I got one with 7 dead pixels and couldn't return it. Anyway, the one we got didn't have any dead pixels.

If your mini-mac has a digital output, I would recommend getting a monitor that supports the DVI interface as well as the analog.

DonL
01-16-2005, 14:40
Go to www.pcworld.com and check reviews...I got the 17" LG L1710SK.....Its as good as they say it is, no speakers though. $286

Deanster
01-16-2005, 22:55
We bought several Princeton 17" LCD monitors from Costco for something like $329/each - they're not amazing, but take DVI or VGA input, come with both cables, and have small speakers in the bezel.

All in all, pretty average, but Costco's lifetime guarantee and no-hassle return policy make it a winner for me.

For quality, I like the Samsung 17" LCD that came with one of the business Dells we bought - I snagged it for myself, and it'll be my Mac Mini display in a couple weeks... I paid a $150 upgrade from no monitor on it, but they're like $530 new.

Washington,D.C.
01-17-2005, 00:28
I'm getting a Mac mini too.I have too many high quality crt monitors to switch to lcd yet.I think limits on the Mac mini are one gig of memory and an 80 gig hard drive.From the size I'm guessing the hard drive is a notebook drive.I think the new I-macs use notebook parts too.I run both Linux and BSD on Macs.Linux will support G5's but not BSD.I don't have any G5's yet but will try to keep up to date G4's til BSD runs in the G5's.

darin2
01-17-2005, 12:42
Here's one you might try from Tiger Direct.

17 in. monitor $189.00 after rebate (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1184331&Sku=N52-1714)

huaco
01-17-2005, 21:23
I'll second DonL's recommendation for the LG. You can get much better speakers than those built into a monitor for $20 or so and place them far enough apart to enjoy the stereo effect. My PC has a TV tuner so I was concerned about a refresh rate that could handle TV well. The LG is fast, bright, and very sharp.