Let's say that you are about to lose your computer room... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let's say that you are about to lose your computer room...

lwt210
01-16-2005, 13:00
...and you don't have much space in the rest of the house.

Do any of you have your notebook and peripherals set up in some type of drop front secretary desk? And if you do, could you zap a pic of it so I can get some ideas?

I am looking for small, elegantly designed, storage for my laptop, small speakers, external keyboard/mouse and a small all in one printer. And I want it all to hide when not in use.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/pics.

MLM
01-16-2005, 15:10
Don't have a pic but I do have an idea though.
Do you have a closet that's not being used or used very little? If so, set up a shelf at desk height allowing room for a chair to be pushed in so the closet door could be closed when not in use.
Or how about a dresser drawer?
Modify the dresser drawer front to drop open when you pull open the drawer. With you having a notebook it should be workable.

fastvfr
01-16-2005, 17:29
A rolltop desk would be an elegant solution.
http://www.custommade.com/gallery/images/f000086d.jpg

Put the printer, ect. in a cupboard built into the bottom cutout, and use the cubbyholes for disks ect. Run all wiring through the back panels and you'd be all set.

They make models specifically for PC's that have tons of room.
http://www.dooleyinc.com/unfinished-furniture/showroom/SD2860_ROLL_TOP_DESK.jpg

O/C, a standard secretary's desk would work, but you'd need to modify it to have doors rather than drawers to make way for the printer and other goodies, if you wanted one of these little things...
http://www.scrollsaw.com/u933.gif

lwt210
01-17-2005, 11:11
My little house is crammed with stuff and if we do end up having one in the oven, I'll have nine months to prepare.

Something like this (without the bookcase top) is what I had in mind.

Wulfenite
01-17-2005, 12:34
I sit in my recliner with the laptop on my chest and earphones on. When I get up I set it on a coffe table. that's pretty compact.

DeadMansLife
01-17-2005, 14:36
How about set up a network with your desktop(sans monitor) in a closet. Use your laptop on the kitchen table, coffee table, recliner, toilet, or anywhere else. Keep the bulk of your files on the desktop.

lwt210
01-17-2005, 16:36
Originally posted by DeadMansLife
How about set up a network with your desktop(sans monitor) in a closet. Use your laptop on the kitchen table, coffee table, recliner, toilet, or anywhere else. Keep the bulk of your files on the desktop.

Have no desktop...only two notebooks. And dial up still.....money not there for good internet.

Well, I shouldn't say that. My dial up is accelerated and is pretty good for what I pay for it. Trying to be more thankful for what I have.

Cali-Glock
01-18-2005, 12:42
Years ago, a friend moved in with me; the master bedroom was being remodeled, so I was living in the guest room, so I emptied out my office and my buddy moved in there. I put my monitor & keyboard on a nightstand & the tower on the floor. Worked okay, though it could have been taller. :)