Any benefits to separating at 10 years? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any benefits to separating at 10 years?

Riggs23
01-16-2005, 17:44
Just wondered if an enlisted person (E-5) would receive any pay or entitlements for doing 10 years then getting out.

Thanks

eisman
01-16-2005, 18:06
Unemployment.

(If you're in, you should already know the answer.)

Riggs23
01-16-2005, 18:21
Originally posted by eisman
Unemployment.

(If you're in, you should already know the answer.)

I am in. There's been talk lately of some benefits coming about for a 10 year separation. I simply wondered if anyone else hear has heard of anything.

FLIPPER 348
01-16-2005, 22:24
Originally posted by Riggs23
Just wondered if an enlisted person (E-5) would receive any pay or entitlements for doing 10 years then getting out.

Thanks

No pay or anything that I know of. But not getting killed in Iraq is a +.

baileym76
01-17-2005, 00:43
There are no benefits for a 10 year seperation, unless you are medically discharged.

DMF
01-18-2005, 08:19
Well there can be depending on your perspective. Will you get anything from Uncle Sugar? No. Will it allow you to get on with your life and do other things? Yes.

I wanted to get into federal law enforcement and the Air Force would not let me out of flying to do AFOSI. So at 9 years of active duty I separated, and sought a job in fed LE as a GS-1811 Criminal Investigator (aka Special Agent). There is an age limit on becoming a fed LEO, so I could not have stayed until retirement and done the job I wanted. Did I leave the job security of the military? Sure did, but the retirement isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be, and I get to do what I enjoy.

Besides you can always do what I did and stay in the Reserves, which means at 60 you will get your military retirement too.

LBTRS
02-09-2005, 02:46
Originally posted by DMF
Did I leave the job security of the military? Sure did, but the retirement isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be, and I get to do what I enjoy.

Besides you can always do what I did and stay in the Reserves, which means at 60 you will get your military retirement too.

I thought that military retirement isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be? 50% base pay for the rest of my life and I'm 38, along with medical and the other benefits that go with it? $2000/month for the rest of my life and i'm 38 is good enough for me and I guess it's good enough for you too since you're in the reserves for the retirement.

noway
02-09-2005, 07:39
If you are getting that much, than I'm guessing you did great. My dad did a hold 30yr career retired as chief and don't make that much or anywhere close to that.

LBTRS
02-18-2005, 00:10
Originally posted by noway
If you are getting that much, than I'm guessing you did great. My dad did a hold 30yr career retired as chief and don't make that much or anywhere close to that.

Actually I'm speculating a bit as I have a couple years left and I anticipate being advanced one more time and have a couple more annual cost of living raises. If I were to retire today, 50% of my base pay would be $1705. Obviously I can't retire today because I only have 18 years in. I'm also a Chief.

Bonk
02-19-2005, 19:33
I left after nine years combined time with the active and reserve USMC.

What sort of benefits did I get? Not a penny.

But I do have the pride in knowing I served my country honorably, and the pride in having been a Marine Sergeant, which is a glory of its own.:)

Glock21Owner
02-24-2005, 22:04
I did 10 years, 9 months in the Air Force and separated in December 1992 using the military-wide Special Separation Bonus (SSB). They paid a bunch of us to get out rather than stay in and make the military a career. I was an E-6 selectee in a dying career field (F-4G Wild Weasel radar technician) and cross training wasn't an option. It was right after the Persian Gulf War and the military was closing bases and RIFting officers (Captains who couldn't make Major, especially), so the writing was on the wall. I took the SSB and separated with roughly $25K; hopefully they'll reintroduce this for those not sure whether or not they want to make the military a career.

baileym76
02-25-2005, 02:27
They won't be re-introducing this anytime soon. The U.S. military is desperate to keep people in the service, not getting them to leave like in 1992. The SSB was instituted to get us below the numbers that were put in place after the gulf war.

LBTRS
02-25-2005, 22:27
Originally posted by baileym76
They won't be re-introducing this anytime soon. The U.S. military is desperate to keep people in the service, not getting them to leave like in 1992. The SSB was instituted to get us below the numbers that were put in place after the gulf war.

You couldn't be more wrong. The Navy and Air Force are in the process of getting rid of people through various programs. They are letting people out early, reducing recruiting goals and even denying requests to re-enlist.

baileym76
02-26-2005, 06:43
That is only in very select MOS's. The majority are still under stop loss. I am currently in a stop loss situation, so I know that I am right. All 4 services have recruiting goals that they aren't able to achieve.

LBTRS
02-26-2005, 14:01
That is only in very select MOS's. The majority are still under stop loss. I am currently in a stop loss situation, so I know that I am right. All 4 services have recruiting goals that they aren't able to achieve.

You must be in the Army or USMC because if you were in the Navy or Air Force you would not be making these statements. Both the Navy and Air Force are exceeding their Recruiting Goals and have so many people in the Delayed Entry Program that they are having a hard time finding spots for them in boot camp and follow on technical training. Both the Navy and Air Force have been getting recruiting goal cuts and are making and exceeding their Recruiting Goals.

There are some "mos's" in each service that are critical so getting out of those jobs would be difficult but your statements about the US Military being desperate and not able to make Recruiting Goals is wrong (I'm just talking about Active Duty Recruiting, not Reserve Recruiting). What you're saying may in fact be true for the Army and USMC.

I'm part of the Navy Recruiting Leadership "so I know that I am right". :)

LBTRS
02-26-2005, 14:20

A couple of links on the subject for you baileym76...

FY04 Recruiting (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/2004recruitgoal.htm)

FY05 Recruiting (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40469-2005Feb20.html)

DMF
02-27-2005, 00:49
Originally posted by LBTRS
. . . and I guess it's good enough for you too since you're in the reserves for the retirement.It wasn't good enough for me to completely retire at 43, which is when I hit 20, or even a few years later when I would hit my max allowable time in. Since I knew I would need to supplement my mil retirement and most likely work past my mid 40s, I'd so no it wasn't good enough. It definitely wasn't good enough for me to continue doing a job I no longer enjoyed, which was the main part of my post.

At age 60 will it be nice to have that O-4 (or higher if I get promoted again) pay kick in? Sure will, but it will only be a supplement to my much better retirement benefits from my current employment. I can tell you the fed LE/firefighter retirement is a lot better than the military retirement, and as good as the fed LE retirement is there are private sector retirement plans the chump them both.

I worked in the private sector for 6 months after the military and before getting into LE, and if money/retiring well had been the only concern I would definitely have stayed private sector. Salary, benefits, and retirement are much better for someone who is willing to hustle in the private sector.

baileym76
02-27-2005, 01:21
LBTRS,

Thanks for the correction. I was referring to the ground pounders not the squids and fly-boys.

ottobon100
02-27-2005, 18:59
If it isn't that bad, hang on! To the best of my knowledge you'll get nothing at 10 years. I consider my 20 years the best investment of my life! It makes my house payment AND the healthcare benefit for my wife and I has been invaluable since my retirement in 1988. Master Sergeant, Retired, United States Air Force.

mrcr0603
03-05-2005, 19:38
Originally posted by noway

I went on the retired rolls on 1 Oct 04, as a Regular Army Master Sergeant/E-8 with 21+ years of service, 39 years old.

My base retirement pay is $1818, minus $120 for the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP), for a net of $1698.

So I'd say that LBTRS is pretty accurate with the estimate of his retirement in 2 years, and I'm in complete agreement with ottobon100.

Military retirement is NOT chump change!

Chris

NGWT
03-06-2005, 01:17
I got out at 13 years active and then went Reserves for two years. I got out shortly after the Soviet Union went Tango Uniform and there didn't seem to be much of a call for Russian linguists. Though, that may be changing.

I don't do well in the foresight department ;)

But I am contemplating going back in the Reserves for at least 5 more years.