Need some help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Patricia
01-17-2005, 14:26
Well this is one I've never experienced before (otherwise known as "I think my computer hates me).

I'll be typing away and all of a sudden my screen will go completely black. It is only for a couple of seconds, and I'm right back where I was with no loss of data, but I'm wondering what piece of equipment I'll have to think about replacing next. ;Q Any ideas?

Stompy
01-17-2005, 14:36
I would suspect your monitor first, and the video card second. Virtually anything else would cause other symtoms as well.

bangelo
01-17-2005, 15:00
Make sure the cable that goes from your monitor to the back of your computer is secure also.

Patricia
01-17-2005, 15:12
Thanks guys. All cables are secure. I thought maybe I was having power spikes, but no other equipment seems affected. I thought monitor or video card also. Sigh.

David_G17
01-17-2005, 15:34
Originally posted by Sidearmor
Thanks guys. All cables are secure. I thought maybe I was having power spikes, but no other equipment seems affected. I thought monitor or video card also. Sigh.

perhaps monitor may be going out. it's not an i-Mac is it? i've seen that on a few i-mac's b4 the screen died.

do you leave the monitor on all day? if it's overheating, it might cut itself off. i found that out in college when working for like 14 hours straight.

Patricia
01-17-2005, 15:40
Originally posted by David_G17
perhaps monitor may be going out. it's not an i-Mac is it? i've seen that on a few i-mac's b4 the screen died.

do you leave the monitor on all day? if it's overheating, it might cut itself off. i found that out in college when working for like 14 hours straight.

No, it's an Envision Flat Panel. It's on almost all day, but I have the energy saver thingie set for 20 minutes.

David_G17
01-17-2005, 19:02
No, it's an Envision Flat Panel. It's on almost all day, but I have the energy saver thingie set for 20 minutes.

it's probably not a heat issue if you have an LCD screen.

the backlight is probably going out. i don't know how much it would cost to replace just the backlight.

these guys repair/fix them http://fixmymonitor.com/index.asp i've never worked with them, just came up on google, and they mention Envision specifically.

the cheapest alternative i've found is to disassemble the monitor and look at the manufacturer of the screen and model number (that's the only way i know to get the info). then search e-bay for the LCD screen. they usually run about $100.

maybe someone else will chime in with a cheaper solution. :)

echo99
01-18-2005, 08:43
Well this is one I've never experienced before (otherwise known as "I think my computer hates me).

I'll be typing away and all of a sudden my screen will go completely black. It is only for a couple of seconds, and I'm right back where I was with no loss of data, but I'm wondering what piece of equipment I'll have to think about replacing next. ;Q Any ideas?

Check your video resolution, I have seen this before. Don't go to high with it

fastvfr
01-18-2005, 18:12

If you aren't running a UPS, this sort of problem becomes a lot more prevalent.

Sadly, since an uninterruptible line filter isn't included with a new PC most folks think they are optional.

I would never run a PC costing more than $50 without a UPS worth at least that!! Experience is a good teacher. For some.

Anyway, with a UPS filtering your line current, you can remove a possible cause from the equation since your components are running straight from the battery.

Elimination via filtration will put you even closer to the fix while also protecting your PC from any possible power-related damage or flakiness.

Good luck!

vastdavidson
01-18-2005, 18:55
We had this same issue at the office. Try unplugging it from the wall for a minute then plug it back in. Kinda weird but it fixed it for a month...then back to unplugging and plugging back in. Seems like all our LCD's do that.

Patricia
01-18-2005, 20:02
Originally posted by fastvfr
If you aren't running a UPS, this sort of problem becomes a lot more prevalent.

Sadly, since an uninterruptible line filter isn't included with a new PC most folks think they are optional.

I would never run a PC costing more than $50 without a UPS worth at least that!! Experience is a good teacher. For some.

Anyway, with a UPS filtering your line current, you can remove a possible cause from the equation since your components are running straight from the battery.

Elimination via filtration will put you even closer to the fix while also protecting your PC from any possible power-related damage or flakiness.

Good luck!

I have a UPS. I don't think power is the problem.

Thanks for your help everyone. Sounds like this is one of those things that is tough to diagnose without seeing.