pc100 ram [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : pc100 ram

modgun
01-19-2005, 02:16
So I picked up an extra computer today. Just to stick in the office and leave for web surfing and as a backup in case anything happens to the others.
It is an HP pavilion. I know I know, but it was cheap, and I have exp with them specifically . For $100 you cant beat it. xp, office, 30gb hd, it is 800mhz.

So my question is about the ram.
It came with 128, but I would like to add more.
I added an old stick I had lying around and got nothing.
I didnt take the one in there out, so I cant read it well, but it is pc100. So is the one I put in.

Do I need to make sure they are the same type pc100?
Do I just have a bad stick maybe?
Can this old pc take more than 128?

Also, is there any downside to leaving the new stick in whether it works or not?

jack19512
01-19-2005, 05:20
Go here

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

Hooba
01-19-2005, 07:33
It really shouldn't matter if the memory is the same brand.

SO when you put the new stick in, the computer started up? Did Window's still think it had 128mb installed? You could try installing the new stick and taking out the old stick and see if Windows starts.

You can also try PC133 ram as well. It should work. The sizes do not matter, you have have mismatched sizes intalled (ex. a 128 and a 256 stick installed at the same time)

I've had a number of IBM's that will only take special ram even though they were shipped with PC100 installed in them. I think the votlage is lower in the old RAM.

modgun
01-19-2005, 07:40
Jack, thanks but no help there, as the comp is too old and I do not know the model number. It was one of the first places i tried.

Hooba, yes essentially it does absolutely nothing different with or with out this new stick. Starts up and reads 128 as before. I havent tried the new stick alone yet, I know i should but i closed up the case to move it, and have been too lazy to open it up again.

Ill have to wait and ask the guy if he remembers the model. If need be Im sure I can call over to india and give them my ser number to get the info.

David_G17
01-19-2005, 08:23
Originally posted by modgun
Jack, thanks but no help there, as the comp is too old and I do not know the model number. It was one of the first places i tried.

Hooba, yes essentially it does absolutely nothing different with or with out this new stick. Starts up and reads 128 as before. I havent tried the new stick alone yet, I know i should but i closed up the case to move it, and have been too lazy to open it up again.

Ill have to wait and ask the guy if he remembers the model. If need be Im sure I can call over to india and give them my ser number to get the info.

look through the bios options and disable any "quick boot" options. this should make it recheck the RAM.

at one time, HP stated on their site that they provide no support for pavilions. this may have changed b/c it was years ago when i had one.