What is this, anyone know?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is this, anyone know??

Skyhook
01-19-2005, 14:28
I keep getting a Zone Alarm pop-up saying that "LiveUpdateEngine COM Module" wants to access the internet.

The destination, Application, and version ID is there but I have no idea what that thing is.

Since I got an email just today from my own address!) I am suspicious.

Fishy, or am I getting too paranoid?

grokdesigns
01-19-2005, 14:33
LiveUpdate is part of the Symantec product line. If you have Norton AntiVirus, SytemWorks, etc., it's trying to check for updates to the product/virus definitions. Let it connect.:)

Soujurn
01-20-2005, 03:42
I have Symantec AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm also.

I have started keeping live update off and use the Intelligent Updater download to update my definitions. I told ZA to remember the no answer the last time I denied update access to the internet.
I'll check for other updates to NAV once a month or so to check for upgrades.
I did this because it kept trying to connect while I was doing something else and I didn't like the interuptions.

Skyhook
01-20-2005, 04:28
Thanks for the explanation, grokdesigns. What got me wondering, along with that reception of an email from my own darn self, was the fact Symantec just started doing that and I have had it installed for a couple of years, now (new editions as they arise, naturally).

So, we have the UpDate thing allayed, now, care to comment on that email from meself? How does that happen? The email was about some link which was nothing but a bunch of jumbled, nonsensical symbols. I didn't take the bait, BTW.

srhoades
01-20-2005, 05:38
Originally posted by Soujurn
I have Symantec AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm also.

I'll check for other updates to NAV once a month or so to check for upgrades.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you check more than that. Norton usually updates their virus defintions EVERY Wednesday, and if there is a critical update they post it ASAP.