Transferring video from DVR to computer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transferring video from DVR to computer?

Cryptoboy
01-19-2005, 21:58
Has anyone done this? I have a Dish Network DVR player, model 522 (120GB, 100 hours). The drive is basically going to run a format by Sunday, and I have about 20 hours of videos I want to transfer over to my computer, and burn to DVD.

Has anyone had any luck doing this? I haven't seen anything for this particular model, or seen much out there for the Dish DVR's. It does have a USB connector in back. Any thoughts or insights (other than copy it to VCR tape, that's my last resort) would be greatly appreciated! ;f

SamBuca
01-20-2005, 03:12
Not sure if your particular unit has it, but you can connect a firewire cable and copy it like that (it will pass along copyright flags too). Otherwise, you need a TV capture video card...then just play it back and record it.

Cryptoboy
01-20-2005, 07:52
Unfortunately it only has a USB connection on the DVR. I think I'm going to spare myself the headache, Best Buy has a DVD recorder for $180, I think I'm going to grab one of those and just burn it that way for now.

harlenm
01-20-2005, 07:56
Just buy a video tuner card for your pc, connect the video outs on the dvr to the video in on the computer. Press play on the dvr and record on the computer. It's going to take up a lot of room though, probably atleast 25-30 gigs.

chevrofreak
01-20-2005, 21:03
Originally posted by harlenm
Just buy a video tuner card for your pc, connect the video outs on the dvr to the video in on the computer. Press play on the dvr and record on the computer. It's going to take up a lot of room though, probably atleast 25-30 gigs.

This is a very inefficent way to do it, unfortunately.

You could open the box up and put the drive in your computer and transfer the files.

Wulfenite
01-20-2005, 21:54
I heard TIVO was coming out with something that would allow you to transver DVR to PC. Apparently they've been lothe to facilitate this capability since they feel it makes pirating/copyright infringment too easy. Apparently TIVO is working on some sort of tool that makes everybody happy, havent seen it on the market yet.

Cryptoboy
01-20-2005, 23:18
Originally posted by chevrofreak
This is a very inefficent way to do it, unfortunately.

You could open the box up and put the drive in your computer and transfer the files.

I've considered that, I just wasn't sure how the data files would be formatted, or even if my computer would read the drive (say for instance, it was formatted as a unix platform).

DragonRider
01-23-2005, 18:44
tagged and very interested. Looking into using my soon to be New kitchen computer to do this. What vid cards would you all recommend. Both for a Shuttle and for a reg sized desktop, and software.

John

RenegadeGlocker
01-23-2005, 18:55
Originally posted by Wulfenite
I heard TIVO was coming out with something that would allow you to transver DVR to PC. Apparently they've been lothe to facilitate this capability since they feel it makes pirating/copyright infringment too easy. Apparently TIVO is working on some sort of tool that makes everybody happy, havent seen it on the market yet.

They already have it (TIVO To Go (http://www.tivo.com/4.9.19.asp)), but it is only for standalone TIVO units (not DIRECTV).