What radio?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What radio??

LMSG30
01-19-2005, 23:49
Hello,
I've just started studying for my first "ticket".

Question is, what base station radio should I aspire to?

I would like something I can use when I get licensed and also grow into as I progress.

Thanks in advance.

LMSG30 - No call sign yet.

uhlawpup
01-20-2005, 05:20
If you plan to operate HF as well as the higher bands, I'd bite the bullet and go with an ICOM 706 MKIIG. It has all the HF bands, a general coverage receiver, and also covers 6m,2m, and 70 cm.

Plus, if you ever decided to go all-band mobile, you'd already have a radio capable of it.

centronix
01-20-2005, 07:57
I'll second the MKIIG. Not only can it stay with you from technician all the way to extra, but it also has several nice features you'll enjoy while operating right from the start. Even as a technician, you can chase some minor DX on 6M and 2M SSB. I picked up an original 706 on eBay for around $350 shipped.

My other favorite radio in the shack right now is the Kenwood TM-D700A (http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5017&Group=5). It's your basic VHF/UHF mobile rig, but also includes a built in TNC. You can do APRS and packet work with it, right out of the box without the need for an external TNC and all that goes with it. Receives from 118MHz all the way to 1.3GHz, and (if I remember correctly) 50 watts out on 2M.

Zulu Alpha
01-20-2005, 16:42
I'd also suggest the ICOM IC-706MKIIG also. Here's a link to it : http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/706mkIIg/

Great rig, low power consumption, user friendly, bulkhead mounted SO-239's antenna connectors (as opposed to Yaesu's FT-100D pigtails), base/mobile/portable setup is EASY, etc.

I used the 706MKIIG on trips to the coast operating HF. I can't say enough good things about it :)

centronix, I'll hafta agree with your other choice. APRS is a whole heckuva alot of fun.

Good luck and 73!

LMSG30
01-21-2005, 20:57
Thank you all for your responses...the 706 it is!

Now, all I need is money...hmmmmmm, it's always sumthin'

LMSG30