buying a new computer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : buying a new computer

mrglocks
01-20-2005, 07:49
i need a new computer for myself and hun-hun!
we were thinking of getting a refurbished unit from IBM or dell, i've heard of intergrated systems that would mean that all the components i.e., soundcard, videocard and or modem are sodiered to the motherboard. my question is do any of the manufacturers make upgradable systems anymore? and which manufacturers do?
i have around $550.00 to spend and would like a system with a 2.4 ghz processor, usb ports, CD burner a network card and modem
do these exist or am i just kidding myself?

the machine would mainly be used for colleges studies and online courses, although i'm not a gamer i would like to play splinter cell or something like that on it in the future.

harlenm
01-20-2005, 08:54
You can can get a entry level Dell new for around $850(and that includes a 17" flat screen monitor). You might want to just save up and get one of those, or maybe finance it so that you don't have to pay it all at once.

NetNinja
01-20-2005, 11:51
Do you have any PC retailers who sell OEM equipment?
Here in Atlanta we have about a half dozen of them(Run by Chinese) and they always get off lease desktop machines. Nothing wrong with them.
How about a Fry's electronics store? You can build yourself a really nice system

pyblood
01-20-2005, 12:30
If you plan on play games on it in teh future, I would suggest building your own computer. Computers like HPs, Dells, etc, usually don't have an AGP slot for adding a decent video card. If you seach hard enough, a Pc could be built for $550. I am just not a big fan of "name brand computers."

Medievaltech
01-20-2005, 13:07
a good website for computer parts (http://newegg.com)

fastvfr
01-20-2005, 14:10
I guess I am a few notches more cynical than Pyblood: I HATE OEM PC's.

The only good thing about them IMO is that they make me loads of money, since they have 90% of the problems I see.

For $800 you could build an EXCELLENT PC with FAR better warranties.

OEM's let you pay more for an extention of their cheesy 12-month warranty, AND you have to ship the whole thing back to them when it breaks, sine even OPENING the tower totally voids the warranty!

With a built machine you not only get far better quality co9mponents, but you also get anywhere from 3 years to lifetime warranties, plus you can avoid the $70 shipping fees for sending back the damn tower.

Look into buying the parts for a decent machine. Ask here if you have any questions at to what is better and what to avoid.

If you are insecure about your building prowess (it is VERY easy - like changing a spark plug) then have a local shop set it up for you. Should cost under $100 for the build and the OS setup.

Good luck.

harlenm
01-20-2005, 14:41
Originally posted by pyblood
If you plan on play games on it in teh future, I would suggest building your own computer. Computers like HPs, Dells, etc, usually don't have an AGP slot for adding a decent video card. If you seach hard enough, a Pc could be built for $550. I am just not a big fan of "name brand computers."

Every Dell I've ever seen has an AGP slot.

pyblood
01-20-2005, 16:58
Originally posted by harlenm
Every Dell I've ever seen has an AGP slot.

Most of the Dells with onboard video (especially the newer ones) that I have seen, don't have an AGP slot.

Washington,D.C.
01-20-2005, 17:55
The Dells with on board video have at least PCI slots.There's not much real performance difference between PCI and AGP video cards til you get into the very expensive top of the line gaming cards that aren't available for PCI anyway.A good PCI video card is fine for most purposes.

harlenm
01-20-2005, 18:13
Originally posted by fastvfr

For $800 you could build an EXCELLENT PC with FAR better warranties.

With a built machine you not only get far better quality co9mponents, but you also get anywhere from 3 years to lifetime warranties, plus you can avoid the $70 shipping fees for sending back the damn tower.

I've done that for my last two computers, and they keep dying on me. For some reason all my parts fail eventually. I've had 2 cd burners go on me, a few fans(one fan failing fried my motherboard and cpu), a dvd drive.

My current computer(up to a few days ago), won't boot anymore, so I'm using a Dell that is about 1.5 years old that works flawlessly.

Maxthemutt
01-20-2005, 20:09
I love this topic, I have a Dell XPS and looked into building a computer as good, could not be done. Mine is a gaming computer and I love it and, if you don't care about the video card I don't see how anyone can compete with Dell. We bought an every day computer for my mother in law and she loves it, I've never had a tech call! ;f

Good luck with your decision, don't discount Dell.

Soujurn
01-21-2005, 02:19
http://reviews.cnet.com/eMachines_T3256/4505-3118_7-31154277.html

IndyGunFreak
01-21-2005, 05:40
Originally posted by harlenm
I've done that for my last two computers, and they keep dying on me. For some reason all my parts fail eventually. I've had 2 cd burners go on me, a few fans(one fan failing fried my motherboard and cpu), a dvd drive.

My current computer(up to a few days ago), won't boot anymore, so I'm using a Dell that is about 1.5 years old that works flawlessly.

Wow, I've built numerous PC's, and never had issues like this. The key is choosing quality components. If you go to Best Buy, or your local computer store online, etc.., and everytime just get whats cheapest, well, like all things in life, you get what you pay for.

Only things I've replaced on PC's I've built, is on one about 2yrs ago, I replaced a cheap CD Drive(that I knew was cheap when I bought it), with a Drive from Lite On. No problems since.

Just yesterday, I had to replace the Power Supply in my current PC. First time I've ever had a power supply die on me. I'm not really sure why/how this happened, It was the power supply that came with the case. I bought the case at a local computer store, and I've bought several of them, and never had a prob with the Power Supplies. Go figure. I replaced it with an Antec 400w Smart Power, and I don't anticipate a problem for some time...

To the original poster: I'm with the idea of building your own, as I also hate OEM PC's. Even if you can't afford all the components now, just buy them one at a time, till you're ready to build.

PC Builder (http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/newTOC.asp?guid=66D59757DC884AF9B08F90C8060F0726&itype=Reference+Series&vol=8&iss=5&etid=5) is a great place to start. I've been building PC's for a while, and found this to be pretty informative. Shows mostly how to build PC's with an idea behind them(Dual Monitor, Triple Monitor, Best PC under $500, etc..). Well written instructions on all 50+ PC's they build.

Best of luck
IGF

Bronson7
01-22-2005, 10:06
To me, building your own is the way to go.
You don't have to deal with proprietary components.
You don't have to deal with the ton of crap oems install.
You know exactly what's in it.
You have MUCH more control and more options in the bios.
There's also quite a bit of satisfaction and pride in building your own not to mention you'll learn tons about computers doing your pre-build research. I will never ever buy another oem computer.
If building your own isn't your cup of tea, than by all means buy an oem. They'll get the job done.
Bronson7