I'm selling my Honda 599 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm selling my Honda 599

Patricia
01-20-2005, 12:03
In case anyone is interested, or knows anyone that has been looking for one.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333357

It is a great bike, but I decided I like riding dirt bikes much more than street bikes. Seemed a shame to have this beauty just sitting in the garage, and not being enjoyed by someone. :)

Texas T
01-20-2005, 20:43
Sorry to hear that Patricia, but it's good that you recognized that it's not something you really enjoy and made the decision to stick with the dirt.

Maybe as you move into the "Gold Wing" years in a couple of decades you'll come back out onto the street. ;)

Patricia
01-20-2005, 22:34
Jeff will still have his 919 and I'll happily climb on back every chance I get. :) I didn't like the thought of not being able to keep up when we went out riding. Not only was it not as much fun for the guys, but I think I was a safey hazard too.

jeffd
01-21-2005, 05:45
But you can hang with the guys in the dirt? Impressive!

45acp4me
01-21-2005, 08:23
Less than 500 miles?

Get on that horse and ride, you haven't even begun to find out what you can do on it!

Regards,
Glen

Patricia
01-21-2005, 09:43
jeffd, when we ride dirt bikes, it is usually just my 8 yr old and I, cause we are the only ones that have them. There also aren't any other people around, as we go to some pretty remote forest areas. Worrying about the other guy on the street was part of my problem.

Glen, believe me, I know what it can do. It really is a great bike, and part of me is sad to let it go. The real decision maker for me was when we were out riding about a month ago, and our 8 yr old fell off the back of his dad's bike. He walked away with just some major road rash (and a night in the hospital for observation) but it shook my already shaky nerve enough so that I think I won't ever feel confident again. I don't normally back down from any challenge in my life, but I don't know that I'll ever forget seeing that happen to my son. I hope that makes sense. :)

4TS&W
01-21-2005, 10:04
I'd be all over this, but my 17 year old just totalled my car.

She's OK, and the only reason it's a total loss is because of the dual airbag deployment, (it was just a fender bender at low speed).

:(

Patricia
01-21-2005, 10:18
Originally posted by 4TS&W
I'd be all over this, but my 17 year old just totalled my car.

She's OK, and the only reason it's a total loss is because of the dual airbag deployment, (it was just a fender bender at low speed).

:(

I'm glad she is ok. My daughter learned to drive on one of my cars. The poor thing was never the same. Funny thing is, when she bought her own car with her own money, she'd get upset if it got one little scratch. ;)

45acp4me
01-21-2005, 10:37
Originally posted by Sidearmor

Glen, believe me, I know what it can do. It really is a great bike, and part of me is sad to let it go. The real decision maker for me was when we were out riding about a month ago, and our 8 yr old fell off the back of his dad's bike. He walked away with just some major road rash (and a night in the hospital for observation) but it shook my already shaky nerve enough so that I think I won't ever feel confident again. I don't normally back down from any challenge in my life, but I don't know that I'll ever forget seeing that happen to my son. I hope that makes sense. :)

After seeing that I can fully understand. After a screw up with a new rear tire it's taken me a couple years to get back to where I was before. Luckily I was wearing full gear or I probably wouldn't be typing this right now.

Best of luck with the sale, and i hope you continue to have fun in the dirt!

Regards,
Glen

Patricia
01-21-2005, 11:01
Yeah, funny thing is, I think that if had been me, it would be easier to get past. Then again, if it had been me, I don't think I'd be here typing about it. The fact that he walked away with just some scratches is nothing short of a miracle. I called the folks at HJC to let them know that their helmet had probably saved my son's life. I just left a voice mail, and never heard back, but it made me feel better to call anyway.

Texas T
01-21-2005, 11:10
Originally posted by Sidearmor
I just left a voice mail, and never heard back, but it made me feel better to call anyway. Send them an email with photos and permission to print it and it might wind up on their web site.

norton
01-22-2005, 08:14
If you are at all hesitant about riding on the street, then its probably a good idea to give it up. Riding dirty is alot of fun, and while the get offs still hurt, but you are less likely to end up seriously injured.
BTW, I like your 599. I like the minimalist approach by the designers, and IMHO Honda builds the worlds best street bikes.

Patricia
01-23-2005, 10:40
Yep, it is a fantastic bike. Even with my inexperience I am impressed. Jeff and Kevin both have 919s and they are nice too, but I was partial to this 599. I'd love to see it go to someone who would really enjoy riding it. :)

SteelFrame
01-24-2005, 13:08
Nice bike Sidearmor, I'll fwd it to my bike buds.

BTW, how do you all like your 919? I'm getting a new bike and have narrowed it down to a Kawasaki ZRX1200R or the 919. I was going to grab an '04 model but I like the gloss black color of the '05's.

Patricia
01-24-2005, 13:17
Thanks, I'd sure appreciate you spreading the word.

I'll ask my husband to compare the two and get back with a post later. I know he absolutely loves his 919, and he used to have Kawasaki.

SteelFrame
01-24-2005, 13:52
Thanks Sidearmor, I'd like to know his opinions of his. I've owned Hondas and Yamahas mostly but I do like the ZRX and am giving it some consideration. I rode the rims off of a couple of Nighthawk 750's in the past couple of decades and must say they were fine machines. Not many good ol standard bikes to choose from anymore, everything's either a recliner or a rocket.

Patricia
01-24-2005, 22:36
Originally posted by SteelFrame
Nice bike Sidearmor, I'll fwd it to my bike buds.

BTW, how do you all like your 919? I'm getting a new bike and have narrowed it down to a Kawasaki ZRX1200R or the 919. I was going to grab an '04 model but I like the gloss black color of the '05's.

Here's my husband's response.

I like the fact that the 919 is fuel injected, and has the ability to put a power commander on. The Kawasaki is a good bike too, but I think the 919 is more responsive and more nimble. I also like the look of the high center exhaust and the "naked" styling of both the 599 and 919.

SteelFrame
01-25-2005, 07:30
Thanks for the input. I too like the center dual exhaust of the 919.
Stay safe.

quinch
01-26-2005, 02:22
Holy Crap, $5900? It's January. I can buy a new one for that.

Wait until May if you want you get the most out of it.

Patricia
01-26-2005, 10:15
Originally posted by quinch
Holy Crap, $5900? It's January. I can buy a new one for that.

Wait until May if you want you get the most out of it.

Brand new they are listing for at least $7000. If you find a brand new one for $5900, good on you.

quinch
01-26-2005, 12:01
It's just the winter season. Dealers slash their prices, and want to unload '04s. As soon as it warms up, the prices go right back up.

Maybe AZ has a shorter winter! ;f

Patricia
01-27-2005, 13:14
I lowered the ad price to $5400 this morning.

fastvfr
01-28-2005, 00:23
There is a 599 in my dealer's for $4999 with less than 500 miles on it...and you can get a free helmet with it.

Patricia, this isn't meant to cast aspersions on your offer in any way, but you have to know that your bike's value dropped to barely $5500 when you signed the papers on it...

With a season under its belt, $5000 for that little scoot would be a hella coup, you know?

Good luck, though...and get those boys some dirtbikes!!

Patricia
01-28-2005, 08:18
Well thanks for posting that. I wonder if you wouldn't mind if you could get me a copy of some paperwork stating that. Is that the out the door price? Dealers must be pricing differently in your part of the country.

Bandalero
01-28-2005, 08:23
Originally posted by 45acp4me
Less than 500 miles?

Get on that horse and ride, you haven't even begun to find out what you can do on it!

Regards,
Glen

I'm glad someone gave me this advice back when I first started riding. On my first solo ride I ended up in the ER with a gushing head wound... talk about a confidence shaker ;P

But I took another riding course, got several Proficient Motorcycling books, and now have about 4,000 miles. It's all about acceptable risk and if you don't have confidence in your abilities, you ARE better off staying off the street.

My next foray will be taking the dirt bike course!

Patricia
01-28-2005, 08:26
My confidence shaker was seeing my son in the ER. He wasn't badly hurt, but it was tough on his old mom.