Female Conceal Carry ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Female Conceal Carry ?

LadyG23
01-20-2005, 19:16
I am looking for other (better) options for concealed carry.

When i'm wearing jeans, I carry CD or backpocket - not the greatest options, but at least it's on me.

It's when I'm "dressed up" that I am running into problems. In my purse seems to be only option - but if BG wants my purse, I doubt he's going to wait until I retrieve my firearm out of it! Yes, I try to stay aware of my surroundings - I also have four kids - two of which still require the hand-holding and watching closely. So the purse or planner option is (to me) a bad idea - as there is too much of a possibility that the wrong person will end up with the firearm. I have a fanny pack - but that doesn't exactly go with the dressed-up thing too well. Plus, I want to find a method that goes with both jeans and skirts - so I don't have to stop and think "Now, where AM I carrying it today?"

I've gotten some suggestions from some of the males on the board and so far the belly band seems to be the most tolerable answer (not sure how comfortable it is) - but I want advice from other females who understand the situtation first-hand and what was your solution to this.

Thanks,

Vic303
01-20-2005, 20:45
Sorry, can't be of much help--I seldom dress-up any more. 3 kids in 4 yrs sorta takes it out of ya! And then there's the 2 big dogs in the house too, that like to put paws on things, or shed on you...I carry about 60% IWB, 39% Smartcarry (summer in TX) and 1% purse carry.

LadyG23
01-20-2005, 21:07
What's a smartcarry?

Douglas in CT
01-20-2005, 21:13
Someone once mentioned a clothing style called "twin sets" as being a good choice.

cnemikeman
01-20-2005, 21:21
Originally posted by LadyG23
What's a smartcarry?

http://www.smartcarry.com/ (SmartCarry)

Their website does a good job of explaining it........ almost everyone I know who has tried it has good things to say, both male and female......

MiKeMaN

Cat91
01-21-2005, 15:27
A twin-set will work if you're not carrying a cannon, or if you're generally built large, or large-chested, at least.

If you're in a suit, it would depend on how much material is in the jacket, I think. Most of mine probably would cover a Galco shoulder rig for a small revolver like a S&W J-frame, and I've found out that they now make a *.357 Magnum* in that size! Might have to buy one at the next gun show! But you can't ever take the jacket off if you get hot-that's the main problem with that.

Miao, Cat

LadyG23
01-22-2005, 21:40
Originally posted by cnemikeman
http://www.smartcarry.com/ (SmartCarry)
Their website does a good job of explaining it........ almost everyone I know who has tried it has good things to say, both male and female......

MiKeMaN

Now this looks like a very good option! More comfy than the belly band. Any reason that this wouldn't work with skirts? (I don't do the one-piece dress thing that often - could give it up, no problem.)

A twin-set will work if you're not carrying a cannon, or if you're generally built large, or large-chested, at least.

Ummm, that would leave me out! :-)

Cat91
01-22-2005, 22:07
Story of my life too ;)

And I carry a cannon right now so I'm doubly screwed ;i ....

Miao, Cat

Melissa Ann
01-25-2005, 16:22
I would advise either smart carry or the belly band. It's not like if you have to use the gun(heaven forbid) you'll have to reholster quickly, like in a competition/match environment. You will be able to take your time with that, so either will work. YOu just need to see which suits you better. My dad loves the smart carry option. A good friend uses a belly band. I have a belly band and don't have a problem with it. I use a OWB holster though. But then, I don't find myself dressing up much either. I changed my dress to suit my need/desire to carry. YMMV.

Melissa

Arizona
01-28-2005, 04:17
When I'm wearing a skirt or dress I use a thigh holster that I made with a Rohrbaugh R9.

melissamius
01-29-2005, 19:44
Hi! I've tried both smart carry and a belly band along with an assortment of other holsters and have just come to the conclusion that I need a smaller gun. The smartcarry did not work AT ALL for me. Not only was it really uncomfortable but it looked awful. Right now I use a belly band with the pocked pulled over my hip and down low. Retention is fine as long as I don't do cartwheels. I use the belly band with both jeans and skirts but never tried it with a dress. Good luck.

Rachel

ThreadKiller
01-31-2005, 06:38
I keep hearing that any day now the bustle will be back in fashion. From the pics of the old days I've seen, you could pack two G19's, 4 mags and a carton of HO-HO's in one. :)

Late Bulletin!!!!

I just learned via a confidential source that a long time lingerie manufacturer is due to release a new product within the next month. I cannot divulge any other details other than the product's marketing slogan will be:

I can't believe it's a holster!

Tim