Electronic caller for predators [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Electronic caller for predators

K. Foster
01-20-2005, 20:50
I want to get an electronic caller for predators. I’m thinking about getting a Johnny Stewart (cassette tape) model. I know the cassette types aren’t the most modern but I want to have several sounds with out having a lot of money tied up in it.
Anybody have any advice or alternate suggestions?

ECVMatt
01-21-2005, 18:10
I came back from a TX pig/varmint hunt and we used the above set up with great success. We shot 5 coyotes and missed a couple more. We set it up about 60 yards away and they came right to it. One actually smelled it and then ran off when he realized the human scent. You might want to try that first before you spend the money on another caller.

Matt

tjpet
01-22-2005, 12:41
I live out West where there's plenty of wide, open spaces. We use a $60 cassette player with good results. Tape (lost kittens) is a Burnham Bros. production. Excellent results over the past few years.

Hoingshiba
01-24-2005, 00:30
two words: radio shack. I helped a buddy set up an electronic caller with essentially a portable cd player or mp3 or tape player (basically enything with a 1/8 inch jack), a nine volt powered amplifier and a PA speaker horn. total cost was quite low, and if you can make cd's or use mp3s, there are tons of sites out there to get lots of free call sounds. look around on the web for the site with directions on making one. I cant remember it, but it had all the parts listed by radio shack stock numbers and such. It is plenty loud, light, and you can have all the sounds you need. It isnt as cool looking as those other ones, but who cares?

mpol777
01-24-2005, 10:33
What do you consider a lot of money? You can get a Western Rivers Predation, without remote, for $150. You can always add the remote later if you want and it's a damn fine caller.
I've seen a few home built units that are really slick also.

You could try over at Predator Masters Forum (http://www.predatormastersforums.com) and see what's up for sale.

K. Foster
01-27-2005, 20:52
A cassette player. That’s a good idea, I’m going to try that.
MPO, $150 is about what I wanted to spend. Thanks for the link, that helped.

mpol777
01-28-2005, 11:34
I don't know if it's still good, but if you can find someone with one of the winter Cabela's coupons you can get something like $30 off. The remote is a great thing to have, but money is money. If you need some extra sounds let me know.

K. Foster
01-29-2005, 08:15
I got a Johnny Stewart tape and tried it in my “boom box”. It wasn’t very loud, I couldn’t hear it past about 40 yards. Rather than buy a bigger cassette player, I think I’ll get an actual caller. Anybody have any opinions on the digital Prey Master by Johnny Stewart?

mpol777
01-29-2005, 14:08
The Prey Master has a corded remote. You can make it an antena remote with an Azden unit, but it only adds to the cost. Cords are a pain in the ass. It also uses proprietary memory cards for new sounds. They're supposed to be coming out with a new model called the Bushwacker, but I haven't seen one in person. Looks good in the picture and JS makes quality stuff.

The two I've seen the most of are the Western Rivers Predation and the FoxPro Digital.

Here's how I would rate them:

# Sound, speaker - Tie
# Flexibility of sounds - WR
# Memory, number of sounds – WR
# Range - FP
# Remote - FP
# Size/weight - Tie
# Battery life - ?
# Antenna life - FP
# Computer hookup, new sound installs – WR
# Cost - WR

The Western Rivers is cheaper by a couple hundred bucks and has more features when it comes to sounds. The only downside is the crappy antenna they put on there. They have come out with an upgrade, but mine works just fine without one so I just left it off. One of the things I love about the WR call is how sounds go on and off. It's literally plug and play with a USB connection. Add the fact it takes any cheap MMX card and you can have a ton of sounds right at your fingertips.

The best thing about the FoxPro is there is a display on the remote. It lets you know what sound you're on and makes it a lot easier to get to a specific sound. You can see it rather than counting clicks. The FoxPro also had a longer remote range. Both went past as far as you would realistically place a call. I only set mine between 25-35 yards away.

The WR or FoxPro will do you fine if you need it now. If you can wait, it might nice to see what the Bushwacker comes out to be. Hope this helps.

K. Foster
02-06-2005, 09:57
I'll look at Western rivers.
Thanks for the info.

seanmcp
02-09-2005, 15:18
Don't click.