Any former MP's that can give advice? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any former MP's that can give advice?

Carmel
01-21-2005, 15:22
Which branch of the military and their respective military police units do the most traditional LE work like investigating crimes, issuing citations, making traffic stops, etc.? ( tried to search on this forum & the internet but was unable to find anything). I saw some info though that made it sound like the Army MP's are not really patrolling bases anymore, for civilian DOD PD's are filling this role.

A_Swede_17_1911
01-22-2005, 07:23
MP's still patrol bases, issue speeding violations, far as investigation of crimes , like robbry, and stuff like that they might or CID might, CID does more undercover work and stuff like that. Also, the MP's are used in combatzones, and security details, for transporting people , etc. I've been told by quite a few police officers to avoid being a MP if you want to go in to law enforcement afterwards, you have bad habbits. I would suggest a short contract in the Infantry, perferably light Infantry, you will learn how to clear rooms, and belive it or not alot of our training is involved with civilains on the battle field and in urban areas. Plus Infantry units have some of the most disaplicned soilders that I've seen, which would help in a civilan law enforcement career.

Im looking at going to law enforement when i seperate from the army. Im Infantry, while alot of my skills, dont transfer over to the civilan sector, like patroling in the woods, or contact drills, or clearing buildings, and rooms, the leader ship skills you develop will. Also you usally can get promoted to a leader ship postion in the Infantry (light) if you have your head on straight and do the right thing.

NucSub
01-22-2005, 10:07
I to recommend staying away from MP duties. Spent shore duty as base police. Several joined the Oakland PD reserves in preparation for becoming LEO upon separation. As a result many of them decided to transfer back to normal units as trying to work on base (yes sir, no sir, please sir) did not work very well working nights where they were dealing with reality.

Black Tiger
01-22-2005, 21:07
I have been an MP for a better part of 12 years and I've done both garisson and combat support MP assignments; my last duty before I got shipped out to Iraq was as a garisson MP with the MP Detachment for US Army South (USARSO).

MPs both in the US Army and USMC and SPs in the Air Force and the Navy work pretty much like civilian police officers, we issue citations, respond to incidents; work traffic duty details, deal with accidents, provide security details for VIPs, operate in SRT Teams and many other tasks done on the outside; our jurisdictions are limited to inside the bases we work on, but we work alongside civilian police departments on many assignments.

Most of my MP friends have advanced to law enforcement careers in the civilian world with great success; some have gone to work with Immigration & Customs Enforcement, Secret Service, BATF and the FBI; I myself am in the final stages of joining the Department Of State as a Security Protective Officer.

Good luck on the outside.

cadillacguns
01-25-2005, 07:27
Spent 21 years as an MP in the Army, good background and depending on assignment, good training. However, your most important task is to get a degree in criminal justice. Former MP's stand in line and fill out same paperwork as non MP's for most LEO jobs. Though I have one, not too sure my being a former MP helped as much as degree.

MP1SG
01-29-2005, 21:47
Air Force. Army MP do LE work, but have a combat mission too and a large number of MP are assigned to combat support or division units that spend time doing both roles. Not as many strictly LE MP unts as many years ago. From what I have seen, many civ LE agencies like the tactical experience coupled with the LE duties.

16vmkII
02-03-2005, 16:04
There was some good advice given here. However you all forgot about MPI (military police investigations). There aren't a lot of slots available, but they are out there. A good friend is an MPI as a reservist and got activated and now works for a garrison mp unit doing investigations fulltime. Only downside, is you rarely work felonies. Those go to the big boys/girls - CID.

taco101
02-07-2005, 19:25
I spent 5 years as an Army MP. I have spent the 13 years as a cop. I use more skills today that I learned in the combat support arena than I learned as military LE.

A word of advice? Get into a no BS unit and learn everything you can about your profession. Then if and when you get out....apply like everyone else with the knowledge that you have learned about proffesionalism from a hard task master.