My hunting partner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My hunting partner

noway
01-22-2005, 12:45
here's a picture or 2 of my new hunting partner.

noway
01-22-2005, 12:47
in action kinda, not the real thing but he is getting the hang of it.

CanyonMan
01-22-2005, 14:01
Very cool dog my friend! :cool:

As you know, i just got a choholate lab pup, (7wks. old), and am in the process of house training him, and he looks like he is going to be a fine 'duck dog' as well.

Have fun 'Daddy,' and i hope you get more sleep than i have been getting the last week or so, up and down all night long going in and out with the poch! ;g (i bought him a bit young).

Get this... My brother got a retrever, trained him etc, took him out behind the ranch house to the tank, ( pond), for the non-Texans, and they got all set up, and ready. Well, here come the ducks, my brother fires off a shot, looked to see what the dog was doing, and he said that sucker was running at warp speed into the W. Texas brush! He said the dog didn't come back for "three whole days." ;i

Train him well my friend!

Meant to call you, been real busy, i'll try in a day or two.

Again, great looking pouch! Congrats on your new friend.

CanyonMan

noway
01-22-2005, 18:00
yeap, next weekend he is getting "gun-shy' traininng at a outdoor range. I have a leash and plan on walking him down to the skeet range and then work over to where the louder rifles are.;) My friend and I did fire a fireworks around him and he did seem scared at first, but after the 1st 5 or so, he calm down.

This dog loves the water. Where he is parked out , he as small lake next to the property. I threw the decoy toy in a few times and he jump in and got it without hesistation.

TJC
01-22-2005, 23:06
noway,

That's one of the worst things you can do to "train" a dog about guns. If he's the least little shy about noise, you'll assure him not liking it.

Try using a .22 blank gun or similar device when feeding him. As you approach him let him know you are there. While he's looking at you, fire the blank behind your back. Do this every time you feed him. Getting closer each time. Then let him see you do it.

Then start incorporating the blank gun into the training and play periods.

Just some helpful info that was passed on to me that worked really well. In fact, I'll be using the same method in May or June when my new Drahthaar gets here and I start training her at 7 weeks.

noway
01-23-2005, 22:43
thanks for the advice, but I don't think I'm going to go out and buy a blank gun, 22 or starter gun for training this dog. All of the other dogs did fine when brought gentlely and closer to the a skeet range. We would bring them into the immediate range and maybe the next trip out more closer and then the next trip out, even closer. All of the dogs I did this to, soon wouldn't even be bother by the shotguns. I had a rott-mix that got to the point that it wanted to attack you and the gun. Best of all, it's ( skeet/trap range ) free ;)

{ He said the dog didn't come back for "three whole days."
}

(reminds of )

When I was about 10 or so, my uncle had this Colt 44mag ( anaconda) and I was out with my dad, & cousin and their poodle dog that looked like benji.They set some cans on fence post. The first shot shoulded like a naval ship cannon going off. Their dog ran off for a day and was found later on the next day, me and my cousin backup from them, like 25yrds and the second shot ,with our fingers in the ears, was still LOUD!