Any body stop listening to a group because of Kerry concert? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any body stop listening to a group because of Kerry concert?

mudfootball
01-22-2005, 22:27
hey every one is giving me slack for still listening to dmb, one friend said they even chucked all his cd's because he did that kerry benefit. Sorry to break it to them, but they have been my favorite for forever so i cant just walk away, am i pissed? yes how do ya'll feel
kt

Bullwinkle J Moose
01-23-2005, 09:02
I enjoy the work of artists, because of the merits of their art and I do not give a hoot about their politics. Ask your friends if they are so committed to this nonsensical blacklist mentality that they would quit their jobs if they found out their bosses were Kerry supporters or would they would pack up and leave the state if it were a "blue" state? Will they leave the country the next time a Democrat is President? You should volunteer to take your buddies' objectionable CDs off their hands.

Egyas
01-23-2005, 09:18
I actually have an extensive "boycott" list. And yes, there are a few people on there for recent political events. Simply supporting Kerry is not enough for me to stop listening to your music. You can support whomever you would like. If you make horrid statements however (like the Ditzie Chicks did), you'll end up on my list.

AJE
01-23-2005, 09:20
I like Dave Matthews Band.

Even at the concert for Kerry, he stood up there and said "You know why I'm here and who I'm voting for, but the most important thing is that you go and vote for who YOU want to vote for".

A-OK in my book.

Simian
01-23-2005, 20:23
Boycotting, or not buying into the product that one produces is what capitalism is all about. If someone supported John Kerry, no big deal, don't agree with it but hey... However when entertainers become "political," using the pulpit of fame to advance an agenda, it is disgraceful not only to the entertainer but to those that follow. Hollywood is not real life and anyone who would take their political advice from a punk rock-n-roll star or Hollywood movie actor is foolish.

That being said, I have no need for Bruce Springsteen, Rage Against the Machine, Cougar etc... due to their antics. Oh, yeah, Bono should stay out of U.S. politics as well. He's not even a citizen is he!? I have however heard him make some alright observations as an Independent.

As far as being a lifelong fan and dropping someone, I was a huge Pantera fan. When Phil Anselmo made his comments about Pantera being dead and what a bunch of *****holes they were...Screw him, Down and any other band he can put together. Phil's addiction was what killed the band. RIP Dimebag.

nickg
01-24-2005, 10:02
i've always disliked springsteen, dave matthews, REM and their ilk. their political BS just made me dislike them even more WITHOUT spending money to buy their stuff.

as they say, "shut up and sing".

WIG19
01-27-2005, 13:59
No. Like I was gonna stop listening to Fleetwood Mac because they played Hillary's husband's inaugural night back in '93... ;j

KeysBear
01-29-2005, 20:28
I separate an artist's political views from their work. I don't change doctors or dentists because they are Kerry supporters either. Where I live if I shunned all Gore/Kerry/Hillary supporters I might as well take an oath of silence.

Regards, Keys :cool:

pellertpale
02-08-2005, 13:02
It would have be relative to their support/opposition. If they believe it is the right thing for them to do I cannot disagree with them. If they talk trash behind our backs(overseas), and smile in my face(come home and be praised) I boycott. I LOVE Ben Harper and would never stop listening to him. Maybe stop buying his stuff though.;c

git_r_dun0405
02-09-2005, 16:46
Not really. I like "Black Eyed Peas". That girl in the group is fine, fine, fine............ ;f She knows how to shake that thang.........;)

Aphotic
02-10-2005, 19:58
I haven't bought Green Day's new cd due to the inherent message in the song "American Idiot."

Those guys have to be laughing their asses off at how many idiots truly do live in America. That song got so much airplay, it's not even close to funny.

If I wrote a song called "Americans are a bunch of stupid, slobbering hillbillies with no important political input whatsoever..." I doubt it would sell very well.

But when you're Greenday, I guess you can get away with crap like that.

Plus the Dixie Chicks suck!