Green Day's American Idiot Album [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Green Day's American Idiot Album

Creeper1313
01-23-2005, 09:53
Granted, the political slant of this album is a complete 180 from my own views... but nonetheless I've been a fan of Green Day since I bought their "Dookie" album in 6th grade and continue to love many of their songs. American Idiot is no exception.

My favorite "song" on it is actually 5 songs rolled into one 9 minute beast: Jesus of Suburbia/City Of The Damned/I Don't Care/Dearly Beloved/Tales Of Another Broken Home. Each part flows into the next in succession similar to Brainstew/Jaded on their Insomniac album. This 5-part epic of a song draws from some other past hits. "City of the Dammned" is to the melody of Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" and "Tales Of Another Broken Home" is to the melody of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire". The other 3 melodies seem to be Green Day's own creations, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are a fan of the punk genre I HIGHLY reccomend this album, as I think it is one of the best albums of the past year, and possibly Green Day's best album to date. Don't make the mistake of writing it off as just some anti-war propaganda (Aside from the title track, there really isn't any political agenda to the rest of the album). Short of buying it, punk fans owe it to themselves to at least listen to all 5 parts of Jesus of Suburbia (which, weighing in at 9 minutes, is unfortunately unlikely to see radio play).

Chopperdog
02-11-2005, 20:16
I read your post a little while ago and decided to take your advice. I just downloaded the album, and am listening to it now. It's pretty good. Thanks!

Soujurn
02-12-2005, 13:46
I've loved Green Day since I first heard them years ago.
Holiday is better than 90% of the stuff on the radio or MTV.

Minuteman
02-12-2005, 13:55
This is the best album, by any artist, I've heard in years.

Instant classic.
It's blashphemy to say it, but this belongs write up there with the Clash, Ramones, and other greatest rock/punk albums of all time.
I even give them credit for the pop songs on there, somebodys got to make pop music, they do it it well.

American Idiot is a GREAT album

84S
02-13-2005, 16:23
I have been listening to it non-stop.

Creeper1313
02-13-2005, 19:03
Well Grammy has just spoken. Best Rock Album of 2004.

Minuteman
02-13-2005, 19:17
Originally posted by Creeper1313
Well Grammy has just spoken. Best Rock Album of 2004.

~2